Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 vs MSI Tomahawk Max B450 (3700X with 3600MHz RAM)

Associate
Hi all,

I've started to pull the trigger on parts for my new PC and I'm slightly antsy over which motherboard to use in the new system so I'm hoping some people will be able to help me out (Please :) )

So far I can see the differences between the following two boards as the following:
  • Aorus has guaranteed support for Zen 3
  • Tomahawk is cheaper
  • Aorus has better VRMs for overclocking the 3700X
  • Tomahawk has no southbridge fan
  • Aorus has PCIe 4.0 which may be needed for future GPUs
Overall I'm leaning more towards the Aorus however I'm not quite sure if it is worth the extra $$$ for the board or if I'm better sticking to a solid B450 motherboard.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Soldato
Hi all,

I've started to pull the trigger on parts for my new PC and I'm slightly antsy over which motherboard to use in the new system so I'm hoping some people will be able to help me out (Please :) )

So far I can see the differences between the following two boards as the following:
  • Aorus has guaranteed support for Zen 3
  • Tomahawk is cheaper
  • Aorus has better VRMs for overclocking the 3700X
  • Tomahawk has no southbridge fan
  • Aorus has PCIe 4.0 which may be needed for future GPUs
Overall I'm leaning more towards the Aorus however I'm not quite sure if it is worth the extra $$$ for the board or if I'm better sticking to a solid B450 motherboard.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

If you can wait 1 month, they are releasing in June, have a look at B550, it will meet in between what you are fighting over now, no chipset fan, and PCI-e 4, and will also be guaranteed to run Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000), Personally I would only go for Gigabyte or MSI, you couldnt give me an ASRock or ASUS, but thats just personal preference.

https://www.techpowerup.com/266710/...r-zen-3-older-am4-motherboards-not-compatible

Associate
OP
If you can wait 1 month, they are releasing in June, have a look at B550, it will meet in between what you are fighting over now, no chipset fan, and PCI-e 4, and will also be guaranteed to run Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000), Personally I would only go for Gigabyte or MSI, you couldnt give me an ASRock or ASUS, but thats just personal preference.
https://www.techpowerup.com/266710/...r-zen-3-older-am4-motherboards-not-compatible
Unfortunately I need to get the parts now as I did look at B550 :)

So, in your opnion the X570 Aorus would be the better option for now?

Soldato
Unfortunately I need to get the parts now as I did look at B550 :)

So, in your opnion the X570 Aorus would be the better option for now?

Yes, the chipset fans are completely silent to be honest, ive never heard mine.......well thats a lie, I wanted to hear how noisy they were so I deliberately ramped it up to 100% in the bios, and yes you could defiantly hear it then, but its never been audible again after that, plus you'll get RyZen 4000 support if you feel like changing the CPU at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes, the chipset fans are completely silent to be honest, ive never heard mine.......well thats a lie, I wanted to hear how noisy they were so I deliberately ramped it up to 100% in the bios, and yes you could defiantly hear it then, but its never been audible again after that, plus you'll get RyZen 4000 support if you feel like changing the CPU at the end of the year.
Excellent stuff, it is now ordered. Thank you :)

Xon

Xon

Associate
Don't get the B450 MSI - cold boot issues that are driving me insane. Quick google showing I'm not alone. Returning it!

Soldato
Don't get the B450 MSI - cold boot issues that are driving me insane. Quick google showing I'm not alone. Returning it!

Strange, I have a B450 Mortar that I just built a system out of that im not having any trouble with at all, its the same board as the Tomahawk, just a mATX version, sounds like an incompatibility of some sort to me, maybe your ram.

With the current AMD situation though, I wouldnt recommend B450 to anyone at the moment, especially if they have any future intentions of upgrading to RyZen 4000......as it currently stands, only B550, X570 and X670 will support those CPU's, the next line up will be a complete socket change with DDR5 support.

Soldato
Likewise I have the B450 Mortar Titanium and not had any cold boot issues with my 3600, flashed the BIOS with the flash button and USB and it has been solid ever since.

Just to add to the thread (apologies for hijacking), I have a friend who is getting the new 3300X and is looking for the best motherboard for it but has limited budget. He was originally looking at the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon but if there was a preferable option over this then we're open to suggestions :).

Associate

Why is that? Personally I find MSI very inconsistent with their models, very buggy.
Been having much better luck of late with Asrock.

Soldato
Why is that? Personally I find MSI very inconsistent with their models, very buggy.

I have the same opinion regarding ASRock, ASUS used to be OK, but I think they've let themselves slip a long way, take a look around these forums at peoples complains about bios updates etc, it just seems like they cant be bothered attitude, some people are ever still waiting for AGESA 1.0.0.4, as for MSI, stick to the upper range boards, ive never had any problems with them at all, people are screaming and shouting about the Tomahawk x570 now and its not been released yet, and until recent news, everyone was recommending their B450 max range of boards, they cant be that bad.

Soldato

The B450 Carbon and the B450 Tomahawk's were great, their X570 lineup left a lot to be desired though, the Carbon and the Gaming Edge were very poor, which is why the X570 Tomahawk was developed, HU unboxed have rated it the best X570 board they've seen. All manufacturers produce good and and bad boards, it's just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Soldato
B550 master is 14 phases direct, no doublers...

Then You've got the better UK RMA on gigabyte /Aorus mobos

Just grab x570 Gaming X for £150 odd. Cheaper then flagship b550 when they roll out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom