How can I remove dried thermal paste?

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
I've tried isopropyl, but it ain't budging.. I like the toothbrush idea I'll give that a go.

Even thought a dremel with a polishing pad or something...

Cheers

Soldato
I've tried isopropyl, but it ain't budging.. I like the toothbrush idea I'll give that a go.

Even thought a dremel with a polishing pad or something...

Cheers

Are you sure it’s paste? To me looks like some kind of markings on the surface.

Paste no matter how dried is just paste and should scrub away quite easily. If it is then a surface polish should do the trick.

Associate
OP
Are you sure it’s paste? To me looks like some kind of markings on the surface.

Paste no matter how dried is just paste and should scrub away quite easily. If it is then a surface polish should do the trick.

I did wonder that but can't think of how it could possibly be scratched when it's been fastened to a cpu for several years.

Given that I want to put it on my new pc, on a 3900 I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one as I don't know what impact that finish could have.

Associate
OP
Soldato
I did wonder that but can't think of how it could possibly be scratched when it's been fastened to a cpu for several years.

Given that I want to put it on my new pc, on a 3900 I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one as I don't know what impact that finish could have.

I'm not sure what causes it as i have seen it with different types of pastes before such as kryonaut that many people mention although i have never had an issue with it personally. Possibly microvibrations and many pastes containing quite abrasive/hard materials. Or something chemically who knows :confused:.

It's likely even with those marks and paste filling the gaps it wouldnt make much if any difference to thermal performance but i dont blame you for upgrading to a brand new cooler either and not taking the chance. Enjoy! :)

Back
Top Bottom