The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
I've literally just completed Wildlands - and this is BIG, believe me - I DO NOT complete games, in fact I usually barely scratch the surface before losing interest!

Finished all of the missions except the alternate ending and the Predator mission and loved (almost) every minute - a solid 9.5/10 for me!

I tried Breakpoint but it just doesn't have the same feel as taking down a cartel! Just need to decide whether to buy either of the DLC's!

I did literally the same. I often buy and start games but don't actually end it but I've got better at ending them lately. It's taken me a long time to complete Wildlands. I originally aimed to do everything but I think collecting everything and doing every side mission (those are very repetitive, stealing a plane or raiding a building etc) made me bored and I quit for months. Then yesterday I picked the game up and exclusively played through what was left of the story missions which I had loads left go do and I absolutely loved it. I actually knew what was going on when I did it this way!

I will give breakpoint a chance but yeah I don't think it'll be the same as taking down the cartel. I got really invested in that!!! I also liked having 3 AIs as backup / company which breakpoint is currently lacking I think.

Soldato
I got really cheesed off with Ubisoft after buying wildlands gold edition (version 2) which at the time when I hit the link took me to the version 1 info which had the info saying that the PvE dlc content was included... However the version 2 gold edition doesn't,it's an extra purchase . I have less than no interest in any PvP guff that I got instead but was refused a refund. That said I can't lie I am having a great time with the game and currently ploughing through it with a mate.
I therefore bought breakpoint as well tho fool me once and all that I just got the base game for £6.50. I am not expecting to like this one as much.

Soldato
The Outer Worlds - 8/10
Really enjoyed the setting, characters and funny dialogue. I think some of the early reviews complained it was short but I got around 17.5hrs out of my first playthrough. Completed a lot of missions but I know there were others I didn't do and I didn't use all of the companions so there is a lot of replayability. I also had my character behave a certain way and I could go the complete opposite on another run through. Great stuff.

Soldato
Death's Gambit. 8.5/10

I learned a lot from playing this game. I didn't get into Dark Souls, I don't find the "punish me" type of gameplay appealing. Death's Gambit definitely had me putting the controller down and swearing, more than once. Then I'd come back for more. Getting stuck on a boss and declaring it buggy or unfair, then eventually smashing through the challenge. Same for ordinary gameplay, I would go from "Can't beat this area" to "Can get past" to "Can mechanically navigate every enemy without being hit once".

But I don't know if that's really what I enjoy about gaming? It made me work quite hard for a reasonably small amount of plot.

However, the setting and concept was great, the plot itself was enticing and somewhat original, and voice acting/character art reasonable.

Graphics look good for what they are, being pixel art. Gameplay is smooth enough although occasionally has buggy hitboxes or timing.

I really enjoyed playing this and it was an enlightening experience. I got a good 10-12 hours out of it, but I don't think I will be playing another Souls-like game for a bit.

Soldato
Control - 8.5-9/10

Got it half-price and really satisfied with it. The Oldest House alone ups the score a notch as it's one of the most unique and bizarre settings I've ever seen. It's full of lore to discover: notes, recordings, secrets, easter eggs and whatnot and it really shines paired with the combat and movement options available in the game.
Combat itself is really solid and fun but running feels a bit too floaty. Howver, you barely even notice after a while because the exploration is fun and the havoc you can wreak during combat is a sight to behold. Ray-traced reflections in this look amazing but there's another star of the show. The destruction physics are bloody INSANE and make the combat even more enjoyable. The story itself isn't anything special but the setting and some of the lore make up for it.

The whole thing took around 25h with side stuff and exploration which is very solid and I still have stuff like Expeditions left (proper hard).

There's really not that much wrong with the game except the annoying checkpoint system (or lack thereof), and the fact that it starts somewhat slow. It could also use like two or three more combat powers and I was hoping for a more "robust" ending (though the cool touches after somewhat make up for it). That, and the forced cryptic gibberish might be too much to bear for some at times:p

Overall, though, I had some solid fun with this and I'm definitely jumping back for the DLC and clearing up stuff I missed. Didn't expect the game to be this good.

Soldato
The Outer Worlds - 8/10
Really enjoyed the setting, characters and funny dialogue. I think some of the early reviews complained it was short but I got around 17.5hrs out of my first playthrough. Completed a lot of missions but I know there were others I didn't do and I didn't use all of the companions so there is a lot of replayability. I also had my character behave a certain way and I could go the complete opposite on another run through. Great stuff.

I've just finished this myself, but kept a save from midway through so I can change some important decisions (like shooting a certain psychopath in the face). I'd give it a 9/10, as I'd dearly love to play more of it, especially a New Game Plus mode would have been amazing.

Soldato
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and 4 - PS1 and PS2 respectively. 8/10, 9/10.

Inspired to replay these after hearing the news that THPS1 and 2 are being remade. I cruised through career mode in 3 but was frustrated by the unpredictable handling and glitchy engine. Brought back memories of swearing at my TV and hitting "Retry last challenge" as a teenager :p

THPS4 was great though, much more polish and diversity, partly from the transition to PS2 and partly because the game matured. This one I rinsed career mode, completed all individual character challenges, found all the collectibles and gaps in the game etc. Great memories relived!

Soldato
Talos Principle : - 9/10 for me - very very enjoyable puzzler. Got it for free from EPIC, but I'm actually going to buy the VR edition on Steam (Includes expansion pack) as I've a Reverb coming soon this month.

If anybody has any suggestions for similar games? I've played most of the offerings of this genre, but I've been away from gaming for a while. VR or not I don't mind.

Nate

Soldato
Talos Principle : - 9/10 for me - very very enjoyable puzzler. Got it for free from EPIC, but I'm actually going to buy the VR edition on Steam (Includes expansion pack) as I've a Reverb coming soon this month.

If anybody has any suggestions for similar games? I've played most of the offerings of this genre, but I've been away from gaming for a while. VR or not I don't mind.

Nate
I'll have to have a think about other titles, but should point out all Talos Principle titles including VR and DLC are heavily discounted on GOG summer sale right now :)

Pet Northerner
Don

Nate
The witness?

Soldato

Nate

QUBE is decent, though the sequel is better. Antichamber and The Turing Test are another two I'd look at. Although if you've played most offerings in the genre, you've likely played them all already!

Soldato
I've gone through all of the above :) The witness being the most polished IMO. Can't seem to find Talos at all on GoG. :( Regional variations maybe?

In addition to Talos, I'm considering picking up Obduction for a replay in VR too. That was a fantastic game.

Nate

Associate
Maneater
Short, fun game but with flaws.

Leveling doesn't really work too well. By the time you unlock an upgrade, you can already level it to almost max with all the items you have collected.
Also, once you have the "gain health on bite" upgrade, you become all but indestructible.

Suggest waiting until it drops below £20 for best value.

7/10 - Eating humans has never been as much fun.

Soldato
Ghost Recon Wildlands - thoroughly enjoyed 99% of this game - all of which was done solo (Billy no-mates! :p)

An easy 9.5/10 for me because I simply do not complete games! Seriously, I've been a gamer for about 30 years and I can count the number of games I've actually finished on one hand!

Soldato
Ghost Recon Wildlands - thoroughly enjoyed 99% of this game - all of which was done solo (Billy no-mates! :p)

An easy 9.5/10 for me because I simply do not complete games! Seriously, I've been a gamer for about 30 years and I can count the number of games I've actually finished on one hand!

I tried to get into this a while ago, I found it to be a checklist game style of story. Is that the case? Or is there a 'wall' that once you pass it, the game opens up?

Back
Top Bottom