How to make an outdoor work bench.

Caporegime
Hello all,

M1iVpof.jpg

I want to make a garden outdoor table like this one to put my Bonsai Trees on, minus the small side table it has here. I know nothing much about woodworking, I only have a Borsch Drill and drill bits, no saw, no spirit level, consider me a blank slate.

Just thinking out loud.

1 - I want it to be around 2m long? It’s going to go into the corner of the garden so I could make 2 of these and put them as an L shape so I may need a middle section to support the centre to prevent bowing. I want the least cutting as possible as I will be doing it all with hand tools. https://www.diy.com/search?term=c16+treated+timber. B&Q sell lengths of timber at 2.4m lengths so if I use that, I will need a support in the middle I expect.

2 - I found out I best get C16 treated timber, and like the photo, use Decking as the top as it is designed for weather.

3 - The biggest thing going round my head is how to connect it all together. In the photo the horizontal plank going lengthways is attached to the corner posts by screws from the side. That means all the weight of the entire worktop is going through those screws. Is that strong enough? I thought about placing the horizontal plank on top of the post and drill through from the top, or even make like an Ikea joint and have it sit on top. Someone however said that’s a bad idea as I will be screwing down the post at the end which is it’s weakest, even though the top plank will act as a cap?

In the photo he has a centre horizontal plank going across, I don’t however see how it is supported at the ends...

Also, what stains would I need to paint on top of it to make it last the longest?

Anyone have any input on how I should go about this and what sort of tools, material or method would be the easiest way for a dummy like me?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
B&Q offer a free cutting service if you buy wood from them. Sketch it out and figure what sizes you need and get them to do the cutting. Save you a lot of hassle.

Soldato
B&Q offer a free cutting service if you buy wood from them. Sketch it out and figure what sizes you need and get them to do the cutting. Save you a lot of hassle.

Yeah. Or give a local timber yard a call and list everything you need and they’ll sort it for you. They usually charge per foot.

For tools. I’d probably buy some kind of square, to make sure things are square. If you want to go easier you could get some L shaped brackets to attach the wood together. Could make things easier to put together.

Edit. I think I still have your email. I’m mid way through building something at the moment so will fire over a few photos which might help show the innards of that table if you’re unsure.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah. Or give a local timber yard a call and list everything you need and they’ll sort it for you. They usually charge per foot.

For tools. I’d probably buy some kind of square, to make sure things are square. If you want to go easier you could get some L shaped brackets to attach the wood together. Could make things easier to put together.

Edit. I think I still have your email. I’m mid way through building something at the moment so will fire over a few photos which might help show the innards of that table if you’re unsure.

That would be fantastic, thanks!

And yes, a list of tools that I may need would be great. Last thing I want is to stop in the middle of the day and have to go out and get some.

Soldato
Similar to this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/vCrj2hd96Jj1vU496

As for tools,
Hand saw more teeth the better at least 24 inches long
Square to make sure all the cuts are true both vertically and horizontally.
A large level 900mm length get a good quality one not the cheapest you can find!
Decent tape measure again good quality wins over cheap, I prefer one with only one measurement.
Good quality drill bits and screws, I prefer the DeWalt drill bits they last longer than most but the titan range from Screwfix are good too. And screws, I swear by the turbo gold screws from Screwfix excellent quality and good range of sizes in the multi pack.

Soldato
Yup! Pretty much, minus the top rack. Perhaps for the width that i need, best to run the surface planks the shorter direction.
In that case Google potting table building instructions and you should find some plans on Google.

At 2m length you will need a middle leg to support the shelf or it will bow/break, all depends on how heavy your bonsai collection is.

Caporegime
OP
In that case Google potting table building instructions and you should find some plans on Google.

At 2m length you will need a middle leg to support the shelf or it will bow/break, all depends on how heavy your bonsai collection is.

https://www.thriftydecorchick.com/2011/08/diy-potting-bench-with-dad.html

I think this one would be perfect, perhaps a small gap between each planks on the top to let water drain but that's it! I would love to make 2 of these and put them in an L shape in the corner.

Caporegime
OP
Associate
Consider making it the same dimensions that you buy the wood in (i.e. 1.8m or 2.4m long) to minimise the amount of cuts you have to make and the wastage.

If you buy 2.4m long and make a 1.8m long table, you could make it 0.6m depth to make use of the offcut. That kinda logic.

Caporegime
OP
Consider making it the same dimensions that you buy the wood in (i.e. 1.8m or 2.4m long) to minimise the amount of cuts you have to make and the wastage.

If you buy 2.4m long and make a 1.8m long table, you could make it 0.6m depth to make use of the offcut. That kinda logic.

I thought about this.

The space I have is a 1600mm x 1600mm. So a 2400 timber cut to 1600 will leave 800mm left. I can use that for the depth of the table. At 1600mm I think I will need a centre column though.

I want the table to be 900mm high.

I will worry about the shorter table later on.

Soldato
Seeing as your going in pretty much tool less and using building grade timber, make sure you dont just go and buy a random pack of lengths, look at each one and make sure it is not warped or bowed as you wont have the tools to correct that. It will cost a bit more buying individual pieces but make life a lot easier.

you won't need coach screws for that either, my woodworking bench doesn't even uses coaches.

Also you'll find you still need to cut them down a little no matter what length you get as they will not all be exactly the same size so buying at 2.4m for less cuts wont actually work. Also most b and qs don't cut timber just sheet material, I think they only have a handful of stores that do cut timber.

Caporegime
OP
Seeing as your going in pretty much tool less and using building grade timber, make sure you dont just go and buy a random pack of lengths, look at each one and make sure it is not warped or bowed as you wont have the tools to correct that. It will cost a bit more buying individual pieces but make life a lot easier.

you won't need coach screws for that either, my woodworking bench doesn't even uses coaches.

Also you'll find you still need to cut them down a little no matter what length you get as they will not all be exactly the same size so buying at 2.4m for less cuts wont actually work. Also most b and qs don't cut timber just sheet material, I think they only have a handful of stores that do cut timber.

If I am going to buy 1 power tool, which one should I get? An orbital sander? a Jigsaw?

p.s. I have an electric drill already. This one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L3XK06C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soldato
If I am going to buy 1 power tool, which one should I get? An orbital sander? a Jigsaw?

p.s. I have an electric drill already. This one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L3XK06C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You wont need a sander, building grade lumber and decking are very soft so super easy to sand by hand, electric will save you time but probably not worth it as a cheap orbital sander will leave a lot of pigs tails which are a pain to remove.

If you dont have drill bits get some as youll want to pre drill holes otherwise the wood will split.

In all honesty for something that simple a drill, a hand saw and some sandpaper and you could knock it up in a weekend at a casual pace. No power tool you'd buy would really be worth the time saved, the only thing that would benefit is a mitre saw to make sure you get straight cuts but just be slow with a hand saw and you'll be fine, maybe look into getting a japanese saw as they are super thin and sharp, they also only cut on the pull so are easier to control and keep straight.

How do you plan on finishing it? Paint or stain?

Caporegime
OP
You wont need a sander, building grade lumber and decking are very soft so super easy to sand by hand, electric will save you time but probably not worth it as a cheap orbital sander will leave a lot of pigs tails which are a pain to remove.

If you dont have drill bits get some as youll want to pre drill holes otherwise the wood will split.

In all honesty for something that simple a drill, a hand saw and some sandpaper and you could knock it up in a weekend at a casual pace. No power tool you'd buy would really be worth the time saved, the only thing that would benefit is a mitre saw to make sure you get straight cuts but just be slow with a hand saw and you'll be fine, maybe look into getting a japanese saw as they are super thin and sharp, they also only cut on the pull so are easier to control and keep straight.

How do you plan on finishing it? Paint or stain?

I have some drill bits so I am good there. I also have a saw somewhere.

I have added a couple of clamps to my basket though, I think that will be useful in keeping 2 pieces in place when i drill.

https://www.diy.com/departments/irwin-300mm-bar-clamp/1113341_BQ.prd

For finishing, I am leaning on stain, what should I get there? I guess I should stain all the wood after cutting before assembly?

Back
Top Bottom