Finally getting fit after 10 years of being idle - advice please

Permabanned
Hi all, I have digested as much as I can from all the great threads, however, it is massively overwhelming! I've decided to use the lockdown productively and have decided to get fit again for the first time in at least 10 years. I'm 6'3 and 108KG, none of that is muscle I can assure you.

To start off with I decided cardio would make sense so i've been mixing light running and walking, slowly increasing distance and speed naturally as my fitness improves. However my end goal is to very much be in the lean/fit mould. I do not want to be bulky, nor am I trying to be a strongman. But a visibly "toned" (I hate that word but for lack of a better word) physique that shows me just how hard i'm working is my end goal.

Since we are in a lockdown are there any specific home exercises recommended? any with equipment? i'm happy to buy basic equipment that may help, as i've seen some amazing transformations from people that are literally just working out at home with no equipment whatsoever.

I feel pretty good about the diet as I can grasp that a lot more easily, but the actual workout routine leaves me scratching my head on lengths, reps, how often etc so any help would be greatly appreciated please.

Thank you :)

Man of Honour
OK. The correct word you're looking for is "definition" - not toned.

Second, well done on deciding to do something! :)

Thirdly, do the Joe Wicks PE Lesson every morning at 9am (or whenever you can - just so it every day) : it is actually pretty not bad and no kit is required.

Permabanned
OP
That sounds great, thank you! :) for both the correct word and the advice! haha.

I will get started on them and hopefully going from doing nothing to the PE Lesson/Running I will hopefully feel the positive influence on my body over time

Soldato
Good diet and a Concept 2 rower. I have one in my spare room, that will get you fit.

I did static indoor riding and had a Concept 2 for a few years but it can get boring and repetitive for some though rowing is very good for you. Helps a lot to have some motivation while exercising be that walking in stimulating environments. Not so easy with the lock down but I have lots of parkland/forest near me which is lucky.

Don't worry about running to start with as you want to get some condition and loose some initial weight before doing that. Avoid running on hard surfaces thought to start with if you do. Don't under underestimate brisk walking for loosing weight. Good for the mind too.

You may have seen the odd Zwift thread on the forum as that's what is really improving my own fitness. I'm almost 50 but am fitter than at any time in my life. Zwift subscription with an entry level Smart trainer (TacX Smart Flow + Bike) is a good investment in long term motivation as you have feedback, goals and many people to share the online experience with. Gyms + Sports clubs would have been the norm of course previously :)

Soldato
Looking defined requires muscle and lower fat. It's a lot harder to look lean when you dont have much behind the fat.

I wouldn't worry about getting 'bulky', you wont put on that muscle unless you nail your nutrition, work your arse off, have the genetics and this lockdown lasts a few years.

I've essentially been keeping shape with some cheapo adjustable weights I bought when I was a teenager, a bench and something to do dips and pullups on. Functional eating and daily walks to make up for how sedentary current life is (plus the above exercise) and I've become leaner than ever!

If you think dips and pullups may be a bit much off the bat, you can get some resistance bands to assist.

A reasonable diet, the bit of cardio you are already doing and some resistance training and I'm sure you'll be aiming higher in no time!

Soldato
For running I can't recommend eccentric heel drops enough for strengthening your calves and hence Achilles. Also a decent pair of shoes.

Associate
Sounds like you are already taking the good approach: Don't go too hard too soon, know it is going to be a long road and a lifestyle change that will take time.

As for equipment you can buy these resistance bands that clip into your door that can help to start building some muscle to do along with the other suggestions here.

Soldato
All you really need is maybe a chin up bar. Push ups, chin ups, sit ups and some lunges covers a lot of the body. On body weight exercise, aim for maybe 4 or 5 sets and just do as many as you can each set. At the start of lockdown I couldn't get a 5th chin up completed. Now my first set is 7, followed by maybe 6, 5 and 4. That surprised me as I've been going to the gym for years. I probably just don't push myself enough at the gym.

As I think you said you're doing, just walk and jog in whatever amounts you can. Jog for a few minutes, walk for a few, jog a few. Gradually increase the amount you jog, even if it's low speed. I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor as this will show how hard you're working. Any cardio with your average HR lower than 120 and you should probably be trying harder. Personally I love cycling. You get to travel more and see more of the countryside. On the negative, you often need to exercise longer to burn as many calories.

Sounds like you're okay with the diet element, I would still recommend tracking your calories in MyFitnessPal to ensure you know where you are with them, but I expect many don't like this much control over your diet. Keep us informed of your weight loss in this thread too :)

Permabanned
OP
Hi all, thank you so much for all of the advice, it really is greatly appreciated :) I am very much aware it's not a one week switch around and that it takes time, so i'm not getting ahead of myself at least :) i've been doing the walking/running and just started integrating push ups, i'll add in the resistance bands and other recommendations people have mentioned here, anything that helps can only be a good thing, thank you again :)

@wolfie138 I am 30 :)

Soldato
start with walk lots, sort your food intake.

Make a diary of your food for 2 weeks and see where your at after that.

Don't call it a diet - they aren't sustainable long term. You need to find decent quality food options to make a positive change. Diets rarely last more than 1-2 months before people go off the rails.

Back
Top Bottom