• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***LOCKDOWN DEALS!***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Exactly. The rubes on this forum think he's their "mate", he's laughing his a** at them as he rolls by in the Ferarri they paid for...just check the defensive comments on this thread...

OCUK clearly profiteering out of a crisis, jacking up prices even on cards that are 4 years old (check the Vega 64 price) and still OCUK can do no wrong...

This lot would buy OCUK branded magic beans, especially if GPU "fwiend" recommended them.

:D

You'll find most don't think he's their mate at all. Personally, I buy from wherever I feel I get the best "value for money". This includes delivery cost, potential product support further down the line and potential difficulty of the RMA process. Just because I don't expect them to buck the trend and charge less than everyone else doesn't make me a rube. I feel a fool for paying for the over inflated prices that tech is already at in the UK, but that's a different discussion and not specific to any single store.

But he can afford a Ferrari, so what? Why is that relevant to where anyone buys hardware from? Why does it bother you that he has one? What has his personality or lifestyle got to do with you buying a graphics card?

Grow up.

Associate
You'll find most don't think he's their mate at all. Personally, I buy from wherever I feel I get the best "value for money". This includes delivery cost, potential product support further down the line and potential difficulty of the RMA process. Just because I don't expect them to buck the trend and charge less than everyone else doesn't make me a rube. I feel a fool for paying for the over inflated prices that tech is already at in the UK, but that's a different discussion and not specific to any single store.

But he can afford a Ferrari, so what? Why is that relevant to where anyone buys hardware from? Why does it bother you that he has one? What has his personality or lifestyle got to do with you buying a graphics card?

Grow up.

Here here, great post. Oh no, someone is more successful than me wah wah wah...

Some stuff is hilariously over priced, so don't buy it. Other stuff no one else can get near.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Here here, great post. Oh no, someone is more successful than me wah wah wah...

Some stuff is hilariously over priced, so don't buy it. Other stuff no one else can get near.

Why does it have to always be jealousy? I don't agree with jacking up prices just because they can. It's not just here either. It's certainly not got anything to do with jealousy.

I could never do what Gibbo did, I just couldn't live with myself. I couldn't care less what car he drives etc.

What I do have issue with, is greed and profiteering. Having GPU's sat for years on a shelf forgotten about, posted up a ridiculous price to start with, just to see them still selling and then jacking the price up another £200 for the last couple. Immoral to say the least.

Soldato
The comments about jealousy were entirely predictable, they came from people who know this is shameless, disgusting profiteering in a time of national crisis, having the temerity to describe massive price hikes as "deals" and then boasting about it afterwards. But they're "invested" in OCUK as a brand, so they fling themselves to the defence of the spiv profiteers.

Sad really, when people's brand investment means more to them than their moral compass.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What I do have issue with, is greed and profiteering. Having GPU's sat for years on a shelf forgotten about, posted up a ridiculous price to start with, just to see them still selling and then jacking the price up another £200 for the last couple. Immoral to say the least.

Yup total **** take, a few grands worth of cards allegedly lost then found, sold at a stupid price then jacked up to a retarded price just for the lulz apparently.

Associate
The comments about jealousy were entirely predictable, they came from people who know this is shameless, disgusting profiteering in a time of national crisis, having the temerity to describe massive price hikes as "deals" and then boasting about it afterwards. But they're "invested" in OCUK as a brand, so they fling themselves to the defence of the spiv profiteers.

Sad really, when people's brand investment means more to them than their moral compass.

Its like Apple. Could sell a turd and as it has an apple sticker on it people think its gold

OCUK can have some good deals, some of the best, but only occasionally. The last few items i've bought have all come from OCUK and i will continue to give them my money when they are proper "deals"

But far too often they have terrible gouging going on as well as often messing around with the % saved regularly in very questionable ways that im sure break marketing laws. They go up and down like a yo yo...heh buy this gpu for £1000 for 6 weeks, followed by it jumping to £1,300 for a week, then drops to £1,200 and it brags about saving £100 7% or whatever it is and its like heh? Its £200 more expensive then 2 weeks ago. Happens all the time.

I was checking a full system (Germanium 86 special edition) around September 2018 for several months that had a saving of like £300. It came to Black Friday and it dropped in price a little further....brilliant...wait...a key change....they quoted same RRP as previously but switched the gpu from like a RTX2080 to a RTX2070. That was very naughty. I created a thread about it on this forum. Perhaps a mistake hhmmm??

But honestly, its a business, just DON'T BUY until its cheaper. Its a shame people cannot control themselves.

Soldato
Yeah nevermind the over 40,000 deaths in this country during the greatest crisis the country has seen since WWII, as long as OCUK is making a mint out of the situation by taking advantage of everyone being home to gouge them senseless, everything's fine!

You should be ashamed, bragging about how much money you're making while people are dying en masse.

:rolleyes:

thats what businesses are supposed to do... make money.

Associate
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/false-savings-again.18837331/[/url

That was the thread from 2018. Its a bit long winded but u get the general gist. Basically switch the gpu card to an inferior model and claimed bigger savings than before. Simply wasent true.

Anyhoo, hopefully they'll be some decent "deals" in the future as really wouldnt mind a new system with a new nvidia/amd card, Black Friday was awful last year *fingers crossed* something better Black Friday 2020....

P.S. and you think the price gouge is bad here, try buying dumb bells right now LOL

Last edited:
Associate
Who knows what will happen to OCUK sales in a few months, if a deep recession kicks in then those extra £££'s in the bank could mean the difference between having to layoff staff or not if sales fall off a cliff edge. No-one is forced to buy from any retailer.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Way too sensible opinion that.

The only reason the prices are set where they are is because people are buying them at that price. If they didn’t, the price would fall. Supply and demand, basic economics.

I'm talking about morals. Jacking up the price from £599 to £799 for the last couple of cards. They were still making profit at £599. Be happy making profit at £599, dont get greedy by adding £200 just because you can

The world doesnt have to work like that

Soldato
The world doesn’t have to work like that
Yeah but sadly it does. Just look at the price hikes we’ve heard about with PPE.

That’s not some computer part, but items that could ultimately save lives. Economics doesn’t care if you can’t buy a GPU cheap or if you die because you don’t have the correct medical equipment.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I'm talking about morals. Jacking up the price from £599 to £799 for the last couple of cards. They were still making profit at £599. Be happy making profit at £599, dont get greedy by adding £200 just because you can

The world doesnt have to work like that

It doesn't and shouldn't.

But hey, why make a little profit when you can make a lot more.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yeah but sadly it does. Just look at the price hikes we’ve heard about with PPE.

That’s not some computer part, but items that could ultimately save lives. Economics doesn’t care if you can’t buy a GPU cheap or if you die because you don’t have the correct medical equipment.

And that's exactly what I hate about the world of business.

Even more so because it doesn't have to be that way.

Saying "that's just the way it is" is defeatist

Soldato
Way too sensible opinion that.

The only reason the prices are set where they are is because people are buying them at that price. If they didn’t, the price would fall. Supply and demand, basic economics.

No, the only reason prices are set the way they are is because OCUK is price-gouging a captive stay at home audience at a time of national crisis, taking advantage of a situation, instead of making a contribution. Consumers aren't setting pricing, that's a nonsense argument in this case.

The old "supply and demand" trope, sorry but that's way to simplistic a system to describe dynamic modern pricing, especially price gouging on a scale like this, 4 year old EOL cards priced higher than 1 year old cards which are substantially better...that's not supply and demand, that's gouging the uninformed.

Soldato
While I'm at it, I'll kill off another nonsense argument used to defend price gouging "You don't have to buy it" while that's true it doesn't justify it.

A WWII spiv would said exactly the same thing "You haven't got to buy it guv".

Why people choose to defend corporate BS in whatever guise it takes never ceases to amaze me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom