The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Man of Honour
Succesful first cook (although have been doing pizza on stone on weber for years so happy enough with dough). Took me a couple of pizzas to start getting the turning right. Great bit of kit. Wish i'd bought the bigger one.

Caporegime
Fyi, received a 10% off code from ooni to share with a friend. If anyone is thinking of ordering from the official site and can't find an equivalent code or cheaper price elsewhere, let me know.

Full disclosure: I would also get a 10% off code once you use mine, but that doesn't interest me as I already ordered the oven and the accessories are a bit pricey even with the 10%!

rp2000

Associate
Fyi, received a 10% off code from ooni to share with a friend. If anyone is thinking of ordering from the official site and can't find an equivalent code or cheaper price elsewhere, let me know.

Full disclosure: I would also get a 10% off code once you use mine, but that doesn't interest me as I already ordered the oven and the accessories are a bit pricey even with the 10%!

rp2000

If it's still going I would appreciate a code as I'm about to place an order. Looks like the one I'm after is out of stock until August though.

Associate
Can anyone recommend a peel? I don't have an Uuni, so I guess this could be considered off topic - but there are so many peels out there, can't see what's good and what's bad... Hoping to get away with just a metal peel for both prep and removal.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a peel? I don't have an Uuni, so I guess this could be considered off topic - but there are so many peels out there, can't see what's good and what's bad... Hoping to get away with just a metal peel for both prep and removal.
I use a bit of plywood for prep and launching, the ooni plain metal ones for turning and removing.

Soldato

I use a wooden for prep and metal for removing. The Ooni stuff is an absolute rip off, I use these.

https://alphin.co.uk/product/pizza-peel-9-x-9-blade-22-5-long-overall/
https://alphin.co.uk/product/wooden-pizza-peel-12-blade-36-overall-length/

I also use a longer turning peel but I cant find it in stock anywhere.

Soldato
I’m not as skilled as most on here appear to be but I’ve started using coarse maize flour which looks a lot like semolina and it has removed any risk of peel sticking or turning sticking from my pizzas.

Associate
Thanks all, very helpful. At the moment I'm just using a pizza stone in my top oven (using the grill for the last minute or so), but would like to get a pizza oven at some point, Uuni or otherwise.

Soldato
Anyone cooking calzone in an Ooni 3? Pizzas are now coming out perfectly, but when I try a calzone, as soon as it puffs up the top is burnt black. The lower parts and inside are perfect.

Looking in the oven at eye level, the calzone rises above the height of the flame guard at the back, and I'm wondering if that causes the burning.

I've seen the Houlker flame guard which looks like it keeps the flames up higher, but has anyone else experienced this?

Soldato
Anyone cooking calzone in an Ooni 3? Pizzas are now coming out perfectly, but when I try a calzone, as soon as it puffs up the top is burnt black. The lower parts and inside are perfect.

Looking in the oven at eye level, the calzone rises above the height of the flame guard at the back, and I'm wondering if that causes the burning.

I've seen the Houlker flame guard which looks like it keeps the flames up higher, but has anyone else experienced this?

It's not designed for cooking anything like that, your best bet would be to use gas, get it browned then turn the gas off and let it finish off in the residual heat.

I'm having loads of issues with my gas attachment though constantly going out with the slightest breeze and gets so hot the plastic handle melts.

Soldato
We used to make dough but now quite often use pizza pucks from bookers, they are not expensive for 60 units and they go in the freezer.

Simply take out in the morning and good to go that night. It does lose a little taste but is super handy. We do make dough every now and then but for convenience and quality each time its great value

Caporegime
I received the Koda oven on Friday (just under 4 weeks from delivery to delivery). Looks very nice in person, and more lightweight than I thought.

Now I just need to source Gas, which is a bit more difficult than I thought! The smallest you can get in Spain is 11KG, which is quite big for a small balcony. But it should easily fit in a corner of the balcony, But I thought if it was smaller I could move it indoors when not in use. The price is only 13 euros which seems quite cheap. Anyway, some questions:

1) Lets say it is 30C outside, if that heat hits the cannister for maybe 6-7 hours, is it safe? Should I put a sheet of cardboard or something between the sunlight and the cannister?
2) It's advised to store the Oven inside when not in use. Any risks to just disconnecting from the valve and taking it inside when not in use (which would be most of the time!)?
3) Can I just rest the oven and cannister on the tiled floor? I don't mind resting the cannister on something as that would stay outside all the time. But I didn't really want to get a table or anything for the oven, as that would need to be removed after each use as well.

I'm going to go to a shop and ask some more questions, as that type of place should start to open under lockdown from this coming week. They need to come and do an "inspection" before they install it, although i'm not sure what that entails.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom