Road Cycling

Soldato
Does anyone know if Canyon allow for the change of parts on new bike orders? - Canyon Endurace 48 DT wheelset to allow for 28mm to match rim width fitted to a Canyon Ultimate? The 48 DT wheelset on the Ultimate is narrower both externally and internally and designed for 25mm.

Very unlikely to no chance

Soldato
Folks a quick question.
I'm looking to sell my Aeroad - where is the best place to advertise it?
ebay or Facebook. Although I do recall Pink bike being quite popular too. Ebay before bikes seemed to sell well at good prices but quite risky being a buyer. Facebook much better for local but then that now carries it's own related health risks. Probably better sellers and buyers on Pink bike, maybe more realistic value rather than getting a 'deal'.

Facebook groups worth a shout there’s a few for TT/road bike sales.
There's a really popular FB group called 'Road Cycling UK' and it has a linked marketplace/selling page. There's several regional ones too, so when you sell things on Marketplace you can select to also post it in those pages/places.

In other news, failed spectacularly tonight to do an FTP test. Either fatigued, tired, ill or just not the day for it today! :rolleyes:

Soldato
I managed a 20 mile ride at about 14mph. Can only improve from that now :D

This is me when I've taken a rest - the first ride back feels like my legs have gone forever. The good news is it doesn't last - legs and the lungs soon come back!

My whole training regime next two weeks is VO2 max intervals, not looking forward to it.

Soldato
In other news, failed spectacularly tonight to do an FTP test. Either fatigued, tired, ill or just not the day for it today! :rolleyes:

Looking at your Strava - you changed gear mid way through it, cadence dropped, power went up to 300w av from 280w average, then you blew up shortly after.

Soldato
This is me when I've taken a rest - the first ride back feels like my legs have gone forever. The good news is it doesn't last - legs and the lungs soon come back!

My whole training regime next two weeks is VO2 max intervals, not looking forward to it.

Ouch, I did a lovely session last night of 5 mins at sweetspot followed by 3 mins at 110-120% FTP. Those last couple were hard work, although it does put into perspective how easy sweetspot is in comparison :p

Soldato
Ouch, I did a lovely session last night of 5 mins at sweetspot followed by 3 mins at 110-120% FTP. Those last couple were hard work, although it does put into perspective how easy sweetspot is in comparison :p

My whole 2020 so far has pretty much been spent on endurance/tempo/sweet spot. It's worked a treat because I did a 50 mile 2500ft at 20.00 mph the other day which I was really well chuffed with. Give me a steep hill though and I'm blowing out my backside - my VO2 max/anaerobic ability needs a serious work now, gotta wake those systems up. I think the VO2 max workout I've got scheduled tonight is 5 x 90 second intervals at 120% of ftp so that's nice and easy, but only 30 seconds rest in-between so that soon hurts! 3 sets I think, so an hour's work with warm up/down.

I think I need two weeks of VO2 max to get sharpened up.

Looks like there's zero chance of any british cycling authorised events till early July earliest. Like you say SoliD CX is gonna be rammed this year!

Soldato
My whole 2020 so far has pretty much been spent on endurance/tempo/sweet spot. It's worked a treat because I did a 50 mile 2500ft at 20.00 mph the other day which I was really well chuffed with. Give me a steep hill though and I'm blowing out my backside - my VO2 max/anaerobic ability needs a serious work now, gotta wake those systems up. I think the VO2 max workout I've got scheduled tonight is 5 x 90 second intervals at 120% of ftp so that's nice and easy, but only 30 seconds rest in-between so that soon hurts! 3 sets I think, so an hour's work with warm up/down.

I think I need two weeks of VO2 max to get sharpened up.

Looks like there's zero chance of any british cycling authorised events till early July earliest. Like you say SoliD CX is gonna be rammed this year!

It's tough to know what to do with no idea on what you're training for but any effort you're doing is better than nothing. Unsure about CX number of series cancelled already unfortunately. Our league is waiting for now rather than pull the trigger too early.

You can only ask, they let me swap the integrated bars out on my Ultimate but didn't have stock when the bike shipped. They let me ride it with the existing bars until the new ones turned up then covered the cost of me shipping the old ones back to them.

This is what they offer if the suggested bar size isn't right for you. Strange setup but guess it just makes it easier for builds in the warehouses. No harm asking, all they're going to do is say no.

Soldato

I was purposefully not pushing on as I don't know what's still hanging about but on some of the steeper bits I was like damn bruh this is hard.

Once i lowered my saddle and got over 30 mins I felt better. Was meant to go out today but the mrs has taken a day off so will leave it until tomorrow.

Next week smash it again if I can, 81kg at the moment :D Feeling fat as I ate 5 bacon, 1 egg, 2 square slice, 2 rolls, 1 black pudding and a tattie scone for lunch.

Soldato
I got a bargain last night a set of DI2 785 shifters for £120 in immaculate condition. I have di2 FD (8070) and think I have the right length di2 cables so just need to get the rest of the kit. Will use existing calipers so think I just need RD, battery and junction boxes. Etube is for connection to PC right? Is the di2 bar end thingy worth it on non integrated bars? Could obviously change bars to integrate cables but without a frame capable of internal through the headset maybe it's too much of a faff. Unless someone is aware of an integrated combo which retro-fits? Now that would be something which sells well! :cool:
Many di2 guru's around here for some feedback on this?

Think I've read before that mixing and matching di2 can be done, like older 6870 shifters with newer R8070 derailleurs? Can you mix the derailleurs too, so an old series FD and a new RD?

Okay, back to putting these new wheels on my hybrid... can someone confirm, the disc of my current wheels are different and not compatible, right?

yEV9KCX.jpg

r0K6DkJ.jpg

I don't mind buying new discs, in some ways I prefer it anyway.
As mentioned top is 6-bolt and lower is Centrelock. Centrelock is Shimano so you generally find only Shimano rotors are Centrelock. So going 6-bolt does open up cheaper rotor options. You can get an adaptor to fit 6-bolt rotors onto Centrelock, but not the reverse. So with one of those you could fit the top rotors on the lower wheels if that is your aim...

I've got one for wheel bearings and it's a faff to get in, too tight a space in the recessed hubs I tried it in to get the angle required to get through the 'outside' bearing. Probably have more joy with one on a BB as there's more room.

Are you looking for the cheapest way to get out a press fit BB? What's the BB size?

I've got a Lifeline BB30 version of this and it works well - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-press-fit-bb-bearing-tool-set-bbt-903/

At least you actually tried. I've still not bothered :D
I tried... Twice! :rolleyes:

I probably haven't done one since late autumn/early winter so very overdue!

I managed a 20 mile ride at about 14mph. Can only improve from that now :D
Good to hear you've been feeling well enough for even that! Think you're in the all clear now?

Looking at your Strava - you changed gear mid way through it, cadence dropped, power went up to 300w av from 280w average, then you blew up shortly after.
This was the final interval before a 6 minute rest and the actual test. First part 3 minutes at 280W I could handle but knew by the feeling I couldn't sustain that for 20, HR climbing and beginning to blow at the end. The interval is then straight into 2 minutes at 330W as soon as the resistance came my legs popped and I stood just to see if I could maintain it to then settle down and rest for the test. Nope!

This is with my FTP set at 255W. It was set at 261W from some of my racing over the winter and I think my last actual test was nearer 250W. I've not had a scout of my recent outside power data from the last 6 weeks (probably my next port of call) to get a best guess of what I've been doing outside. Some of the speeds on the loops and segment times are better than quite a few years ago when my FTP was 270W, so I'm hopeful for a nice little bump! :D

I'm currently in 2 minds what to do, cooler weather and a bit less time this week & weekend means I'll be Zwifting. So either base work this week to test again on the weekend, or get some races and sustained efforts in to get the feel back of riding on the turbo to test in a weeks time. As it just could be that I'm lacking, Zwift 'feel'...

But with the weather due to be warmer/better later next week I could forget about an indoor test and head to Gospel Pass or The Tumble for a real outdoor FTP test up a long climb. Which I've never done before! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady as long as the speeds are the same you're pretty much shooty in.

Front + rear mechs on a 10 speed system is fine.

If you change the battery then you end up needing to change the front EW67 out for EW90.

I wouldn't bother with the handlebar mount if you can't integrate it fully. Get a stem spacer with the mount so you don't have to use the rubber strap.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0C70KExGJTNhSNI-4UpuQB&cshid=1589391683881

Soldato
I tried the other day to figure out if I could do a clean (internal everything) di2 install on my scott foil 2017 frame and honestly found it so confusing I just gave up. :(

Soldato
You probabaly could do a good job of it but with a small drilling.

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-solace-di2-cableguide-set-2014-2017-p298014

That's the grommets etc.

As standard it's designed to enter via the right hand down tube gear cable port but I'd maybe look to have it enter via the brake stop by cutting a groove in it or something. Run the Di2 wire out the bar along with the brake outer with heat shrink.

A pro vibe bar and stem gets the cable into the stem but you would need a funky bung with a slot in it and having a hole in the steerer tube to be fully internal.

Soldato
Are you looking for the cheapest way to get out a press fit BB? What's the BB size?
24mm standard bb86 shimano pressfit job

I got the tool... now I just have to get around to having a go. It's quite overdue as can feel it wobbling but no creaks. Oh and the gear cable is on verge of snapping for the fiftieth time!

Soldato
I noticed, in my BC email, something about a new SiS product to help sleep and recovery - SiS Sleep Plus. A small explanation here.

I have been using sleep plus for a week to see how this affects me personally, I tend to sleep 7-8 hours a night with a very similar routine daily. Since using sleep plus I’ve found it easier to get to sleep and my deep sleep has increased from ~1-2 hours to ~2-3 hours so far (measured via Garmin accelerometric sensor). I feel awake in the mornings, often waking before my alarm and I feel ready for my next training session! I’m looking forward to using Sleep Plus as part of my preparation for races in particular.

The few times I remember to take a SiS gel on a ride over 1½ hours, I do feel like I have a stronger finish, so I do have some faith in SiS. I'm going to order some of this Sleep Plus, mainly because even though I can usually sleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow, I can guarantee I will wake at least twice, sometimes apparently it's 6 or 7 times.

I guess I just wondered what poeple's thoughts are on this?

Soldato
Let us know how you get on.

My sleeps terrible, can go to bed at 11.30pm and toss and turn until 4.30am. The next day I'm still alive and kicking as usual. Dura cell batteries.

Even when I'm asleep the mrs says I constantly move. The source of many a fall out :o

Back
Top Bottom