Help would be appreciated please no POST

Associate
Hi all.
I've just upgraded my son's CPU. It was an i5 4460 and I purchased an i5 4690k locally this morning. Installed it and noted up fine. Now here comes the issue. His pc is a bit of a mess so I wanted to do a clean install. It doesn't show post as it's on fast boot. His mobo is gigabyte h81m-s2v. I looked online to see what the issue could be and as I'm trying it on my TV in the front room, I read it could be it doesn't support the low Res of the bios but I've tried it on to other pc monitors since and no joy, I've noted his pc on my TV before and it shows the bios previously. I then read I mightnmight to reset the bios to factory. It was just showing nothing until it starts booting into Windows. I tried installing the fresh Windows from in Windows and when that restarted it now doesn't come back into Windows so it's now completely showing no signal no matter what.
I've reset the CMOS a couple of times. Tried booting up without ram and it gets stuck in a loop so it's working for that part. I've tried booting with no HDDs connected. One point to mention is his OS was on an SSD so by resetting the bios it might not be supported from factory in this model but I might be wrong with that. I'm just a bit stuck as all the shops are closed and I only have two types of cables to try with. One is a DVI out to hdmi and the other is a straight hdmi cable. His GPU is an Rx 580. I'm sure it's something simple like a setting but how can I get to it if I can't get into bios? He's happy using my pc in the mean time but I'm kind of our of ideas with this at the moment.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers Steve.

Soldato
So you're able to get into Windows, you just get no display signal until then? If that's the case, it is POSTing, you just can't see it.

Have you tried using the onboard graphics instead of the GPU? Use the onboard VGA or DVI-D port. The bios could well be set to use your iGPU, but when you reach Windows the GPU takes over.

Associate
OP
I love you! Lol sorry I completely missed it had on board video. I'm a maintenance engineer and I fix things for a living but I've been on furlough for nearly 6 weeks now and I'm a little rusty to say the least! It wasn't booting into Windows no but thanks to you I'm in bios now so I'll be able to get it going from here. You are a star. Looks like it reverted back to on board display output. My son is currently filling my pc with junk he's downloading so the sooner I get this up and running, the better. Thanks again.

Soldato
If you hold down shift while restarting in Windows it should go straight to the bios. Saves having to reset the bios in future.

Soldato
I love you! Lol sorry I completely missed it had on board video. I'm a maintenance engineer and I fix things for a living but I've been on furlough for nearly 6 weeks now and I'm a little rusty to say the least! It wasn't booting into Windows no but thanks to you I'm in bios now so I'll be able to get it going from here. You are a star. Looks like it reverted back to on board display output. My son is currently filling my pc with junk he's downloading so the sooner I get this up and running, the better. Thanks again.

Good to hear, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom