Spec me a webcam that is NOT wide angle

Soldato
This doesn't seem to fit into any of the hardware forum categories so I will chance asking GD how to life.

I'm looking for a modestly priced webcam that is NOT wide angle. The way I have my monitor and computer desk set up means that a typical wide angle webcam shows too wide a field of view, especially as I want to try using a green screen behind me without having other things in the picture. Searching isn't going too well as it seems that the cameras that list their spec normally emphasis that they are wide or extra wide and I haven't found any that say they are normal or narrow (or even adjustable) or specify an appropriately restricted looking number of degrees.

Any recommendations please?

Soldato
You could convert a normal camera - GoPro or dSLR etc - into a webcam instead, and have more control over your FOV? Although to be fair, the dynamic backgrounds in apps like Zoom work pretty well unless you're looking for broadcast quality.

Soldato
OP
You could convert a normal camera - GoPro or dSLR etc - into a webcam instead, and have more control over your FOV? Although to be fair, the dynamic backgrounds in apps like Zoom work pretty well unless you're looking for broadcast quality.

I think GoPro are wide angle anyway and I don't really want to go to the hassle of setting up a DSLR. Just want to find a reasonable quality USB webcam that I can stick on the top of my monitor that will show what's directly in front of it and not walls etc. to the sides. I believe a lot of older ones would do this before cameras having wide/extra wide angle FOV became all the rage.

Caporegime
So basically you want a webcam that's not a webcam?

The whole point of a webcam is to show a video of the person sat in front of it, this requires it to be at least modestly wide angle, so everything on the market caters to that. Setting up a green screen is way more involved than setting up an SLR or basically any other type of camera, god knows what you are trying to achieve.

Probably better suited to the photography forum...

Last edited:
Soldato
Crop in OBS and feed out to Zoom.
This.

However in general, the older the cam, the less good the lens and width of field seem to be. I have a cheapo USB webcam from 2009 which literally just captures my head from across my desk. My Surface Laptop 2 from 2019 basically shows a detailed view of my entire room.

I actually took a webcam module from an old laptop and soldered USB cable to it, that's fairly close cropped but better quality. And free!

Associate
I'm in the same boat - these new cameras have "fish eye" type lenses, making the field of view very wide (and in a lot of cases, distorted, like you're looking through a fish bowl).

I have an old camera from over a decade ago: a "Creative Live 720p": https://www.overclockers.co.uk/creative-live-cam-sync-hd-webcam-720p-73vf077000001-wc-039-cl.html

The field of view on the Creative Live 720p is perfect for my needs. I just don't know what I'm going to do if this camera dies, as I have no idea where to get something with the same FOV.

Soldato
I bought one that was supposed to be QHD but it's just average. The downside to it is the fish-bowl effect which is naff. t captures the window and blinds on one side, then the door on the other. My old camera was low quality but the frame was spot on and didn't distort the video like this.

This new one seems to be faulty as it keeps disconnecting on its own.

Back on the lookout. Can't believe that the webcam market is saturated with naff products and I haven't been able to find one decent camera/mic combo yet.

Soldato
Cropping is a poor option. The problem with a wider angle is perspective. Features will look distorted as objects closer to the lens will appear larger in proportion to objects further away. That's why people on webcams looks like they have massive noses or foreheads depending on how there are angled.

There is free software out there if you wanted to use a decent mirrorless camera like a Sony A7 for broadcasting over the web and via zoom. That way you use any focal length you wanted, and set it up on a tripod.

Associate
I purchased that webcam (Logitech - C505e HD Webcam). I'm trying to sit far away from my monitor (and thus, my webcam) and I also don't want to show too much of my messy room.

This image was taken when my head was 48 inches away from the webcam. It's about what I was hoping for.
Webcam1.png

As a point of comparison, this image is taken from 24 inches away. My head looks pretty big.
Webcam3.png

As another point of comparison, this image was taken from 48 inches away with a "normal" webcam. I believe this one has a field of view of 110 degrees.
Webcam2.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I purchased that webcam (Logitech - C505e HD Webcam). I'm trying to sit far away from my monitor (and thus, my webcam) and I also don't want to show too much of my messy room.

This image was taken when my head was 48 inches away from the webcam. It's about what I was hoping for.
MpmPTqM

As a point of comparison, this image is taken from 24 inches away. My head looks pretty big.
VmQLVqj

As another point of comparison, this image was taken from 48 inches away with a "normal" webcam. I believe this one has a field of view of 110 degrees.
SP9C0GY
Images aren't working sadly, but I'd be interested to see.

Back
Top Bottom