Electric Scooters could soon be legal...

Soldato
I have to ask, what is the actual point? I'm not trying to be facetious, I just don't get it. Why would you have one of these over a bike? For me if your commute is bike-able, the thing stopping you do it is weather primarily in the UK? Still have the same issue on a scooter, with the extra issues of less stability, charging, potentially lugging it up and down stairs etc.

What does your commute look like when this is the most viable form of transport? I can kind of see it in SF and the like because the weather is beautiful and theres lots of open flat tarmac spaces etc. Not really the case here.

Caporegime
I have to ask, what is the actual point? I'm not trying to be facetious, I just don't get it. Why would you have one of these over a bike? For me if your commute is bike-able, the thing stopping you do it is weather primarily in the UK? Still have the same issue on a scooter, with the extra issues of less stability, charging, potentially lugging it up and down stairs etc.

What does your commute look like when this is the most viable form of transport? I can kind of see it in SF and the like because the weather is beautiful and theres lots of open flat tarmac spaces etc. Not really the case here.

Cheap to buy and run. Limited mechanical parts reduce maintenance.
No physical exertion required.
Compact.
More comfortable.

Man of Honour

I've been an e-Bike commuter for 7 years now and it would be great if I could take my bike into work and not lock it up outside a building with about 50% rain through the year.
However, I ride my bikes 365/24/7 (not continuously) no matter what the weather is like and I can't see a scooter being as stable as a bike in bad weather.
I also wouldn't feel as safe riding down our main roads on one and our potholes in Stoke would have me off on tyres so small.

Soldato

It has these appeals:
I don't need to shower at work
I don't need to change
I always seem to get some oil on my trousers when cycling
I can store it under my work desk to keep it safe
I can comfortably keep it in my house, rather then locking/unlocking the garage
I can do park and ride without getting on a bus
The train station is a 35 minute walk, but one of these should be able to get there in about 5 minutes and I can store it above my seat

Soldato
Cheap to buy and run. Limited mechanical parts reduce maintenance.
No physical exertion required.
Compact.
More comfortable.
Are they cheap? Most linked in this thread seem to range from £400-£1500. Seems a lot to me. Could you really use one on a commute long enough that a bike would be intolerable, but a car not tempting? Is standing up for half an hour really more comfortable than sitting down on a bike?

I can kind of see it for train commutes with a walk either end, where you want to reduce the time spent either end. That does make sense fitting bikes on a train is a faff.

Soldato
It has these appeals:
I don't need to shower at work
I don't need to change
I always seem to get some oil on my trousers when cycling
I can store it under my work desk to keep it safe
I can comfortably keep it in my house, rather then locking/unlocking the garage
I can do park and ride without getting on a bus
The train station is a 35 minute walk, but one of these should be able to get there in about 5 minutes and I can store it above my seat

Yes I can understand it for mixed mode commutes actually, as you say walk+train+walk or walk+bus+walk can be sped up nicely. You still have probably 1/2 the days of the year where you turn up soaking wet though, you might not need a shower but you'll need a change of clothes!

I can sort of see it, but have personally not had a commute like that so didn't come to mind initially. I've only had (1) 15 mile drive (2) 2 mile walk (3) 42 mile drive[never again] (4) 1 mile walk.

Soldato
Are they cheap? Most linked in this thread seem to range from £400-£1500. Seems a lot to me. Could you really use one on a commute long enough that a bike would be intolerable, but a car not tempting? Is standing up for half an hour really more comfortable than sitting down on a bike?

I can kind of see it for train commutes with a walk either end, where you want to reduce the time spent either end. That does make sense fitting bikes on a train is a faff.

I would only use it on journeys that are 5-10 minutes in length on the road. Maybe a little longer if there is a cycle highway (smooth, flat, no junctions). A lot of the places I need to go to (99% of work journeys, high street, train station) don't make sense by car as they end up taking just as long as walking once I've gone through traffic lights, parked and got to the front door.

Soldato
Put it this way, you aren’t going to get a decent ebike for £400.

it’s all about ‘last mile’ journeys, taking a car into most towns and trains stations also means paid parking and generally isn’t any quicker either.

A scooter would be great where I live for train commuting and popping to the shops. 100% cycle paths to the train station and town centre. The centre is about 30 min walk from me, on a scooter I would be there, got what I wanted and back in that time.

I don’t see how ‘arriving wet’ is any different to a bike or walking? Those of us who commune in all weather have suitable waterproofs either way.

Man of Honour

and on that bombshell ....................................

If this is to see what it could be like I think they are going for the wrong commuter.
Anybody who hires transport usually looks after it and won't do stupid things with it so when the data comes in that it has been successful they let all the idiots out and chaos ensues.

Soldato

Time to set up your own rental scheme with one scooter?

@SexyGreyFox, not sure I’d agree there. If you have ever been to places like California or Europe where these are ubiquitous you’ll notice that those using hire schemes tend to be very inexperienced riders and just dump the scooter in the middle of the street when done. Similar to the typical cycle hire scheme rider, the dock less ones are horrendous for leaving them in stupid places. The private owners tend to be much more competent, look after the equipment better and leave it in a sensible place (locked).

Edit: there are certainly muppets riding they own but for the most part, like cyclists they are generally ok but a few bad ones drag everyone down.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Compared to what most pay for a commuting bike, yeah it's cheap.
It's not that a bike would be intolerable but it's just that the scooter would be more comfortable.
Also standing is definitely more comfortable than my current sore arse!

Soldato
I didn't know the Boris (Cambridge too) bike rental is categorised as a success, can't believe they will now hand some monopoly to private firms either, installation of charging points isn't going to happen overnight by next month.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...d-in-biggest-shake-up-of-laws-in-a-generation
The government will also consult on the use of e-scooters and the impact they may have on UK transport. Requirements for both e-scooters and those using them are being explored to make sure they are safe for use on roads. This includes a minimum age and vehicle standards as well as insurance requirements. The review will also consider if local authorities should have extra powers to manage the impacts of e-scooters on public space, for example where they can be parked.
Safety aspects, for public hire too ... people have some idea on cycling, even if they don't wear a helmet , but accidents from an influx of scooter learners;
people who have bought them privately are more invested/skilled though

Also standing is definitely more comfortable
wrong saddle ? but standing for a 10minute trip on an e-scooter sounds uncomfortable ... some have saddles themselves.
dont you adopt a ski type posture for stability/control - legs slightly bent.

Unless there are dedicated cycle tracks like San Fran - I cant see how we/London would find the space ...
which cities that use them already are like London ?

Back
Top Bottom