Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
Makes you think if they are going into that much effort then the next Quest cant be around anytime soon. Unless they are using it as a proof of concept so for Quest II its all included. Not first time a company has used users as beta testers for a future product ! ;)

Lots of rumours going around about Quest 2, Quest S, or Quest Pro (whatever it's called). It does seem likely that future Quest 2 will be hybrid, and a single device could possibly replace the entire range of current Oculus headsets. There has been talk of having a special wi-fi dongle for wireless PC connectivity, with a custom protocol which would make it more reliable. The variability of Virtual Desktop wireless performance which depends on how good your router is, and where you are in relation to it shows why Oculus' first go at Link wasn't wireless.

Associate
Just ordered one for delivery on Saturday. Ummed and ah'd over Rift S or this so much I missed out a couple of times but I think I've made the right choice! Time to start reading with purpose..

Soldato
I've always used Zeiss lens wipes on my VR headsets. You can pick up packs of 200 very cheaply, and they work very well. I've not encountered any problems using them so far.

Soldato
My official Oculus link cable arrived today, astoundingly quickly considering I only ordered it on Thursday.

Now I've tried this before with a shorter USB3 cable, and to be honest I wasn't impressed. The image seemed soft, and the cable was heavy and too short.

I'm not sure if it's the cable or the recent software improvements or both, but it seem to be a lot better with this cable. Having a long cable makes a lot of difference, and the visual quality is better than my CV1, so I'll be happy to pass that on to my daughter knowing that I can still play Oculus exclusives without having to faff around with Revive for my Index. The Index makes the games look very sharp, and the wider FOV is awesome, but performance issues with the more demanding games spoil that somewhat.

The biggest issue on Link is smearing in dark scenes, especially noticable in games like Skyrim. I'm hoping Oculus roll out some bandwidth improvements for USB3 to improve that.

Soldato
I'm really looking forward to this Doom client for the Quest:

https://uploadvr.com/playing-original-doom-vr-quest/

What's even better is it turns out I already own the Doom wads needed to make it work because I have Doom 3 BFG in my Steam Library, which includes Doom and Doom 2, so no need to buy a separate copy of Doom to get them. Apparently the Doom 2016 game also has the wads needed.

Doom, Doom 2, Quake etc has been out on Sidequest for ages ?

Associate
Just noticed surface crack in my controller after playing Echo arena and punching all the little kids who wouldn't pipe down, just a surface crack shouldn't effect the tracking much should it?

...Might just stick to onward from now.

Soldato
Just noticed surface crack in my controller after playing Echo arena and punching all the little kids who wouldn't pipe down, just a surface crack shouldn't effect the tracking much should it?

...Might just stick to onward from now.

I've got a slight crack on one of my Quest's controllers too - they are nowhere near as robust as the CV1 touch controllers, which are made of an alloy of Adamantium and Nokia phone plastic.

As long as it's tracking correctly then you should be ok, just have to be a bit more careful. Some users have managed to glue their controllers back together if they do break.

Associate
I've got a slight crack on one of my Quest's controllers too - they are nowhere near as robust as the CV1 touch controllers, which are made of an alloy of Adamantium and Nokia phone plastic.

As long as it's tracking correctly then you should be ok, just have to be a bit more careful. Some users have managed to glue their controllers back together if they do break.

Tracking seemed alright, could have happened a while ago tbf, only a hair line crack along the outside...see how I get on

Associate
If you have a crack down the seam on the front of the circle part, Oculus will replace for free if you contact support. But you have to send the damaged controller and wait for replacement.

Associate
Just had a crack on the small plastic surround to the left lens, not sure how it happened, maybe they are just delicate? Not dropped the headset at all, and is stored in original box after use.

Bit of super glue and all sorted though.

Associate
The biggest issue on Link is smearing in dark scenes, especially noticable in games like Skyrim. I'm hoping Oculus roll out some bandwidth improvements for USB3 to improve that.

Have you updated to V17 and also upped the quality in the Quest Utility? I found doing both of these has increased quality.

Back
Top Bottom