Greenhouse shading

Associate
So when we bought our house the previous owner had a greenhouse put in on a concrete base, this concrete base has been the cause of my problems on a normal day the greenhouse can reached upwards of 35C and the hottest I've ever seen it was over 50C a couple of weeks back this obviously scorches everything inside i have tried different shade nettings etc but none really help, a neighbour advised I buy some of this paint on white shade for the glass and after looking around online and seeing it for 17 quid a bottle i went to my local garden centre today and bought 2 bottles for £14. Got home checked the temp inside at 33C and began to paint after it had dried and given sometime to work I walked in and it was down to 20c a vast improvement and maybe this year my tomatoes wont all be scorched to death.

Associate
Are you putting the shade netting on the inside or the outside? I have netting on both of mine on the outside and it works really well combined with automatic vent openers.

Associate
OP
Had it on the outside and inside I have auto vent openers. during the day the door is left open because my garden is southwest facing the greenhouse gets sun all day long. As I said the main issue for me is the concrete base of the greenhouse my neighbour who has his green house on the opposite side of the fence to me has no problems at all as he has soil floor. The vitrix suimmer cloud shade I bought seems to have done the job though its kept the temp below 30C today after I applied it.

Soldato
I do know that feeling. I've got one of those freestanding greenhouses. We've got a South facing garden and it can reach 50C on a hot day if I forget to leave the door open.

I did actually move it to the other side of the garden last weekend, so that it's protected a little bit from the afternoon sun.

Soldato
Mines got a top window I've never fixed, and grape vines growing in there, I put my water loving stuff under the missing window, no excess heat issues I don't think, my spinich is going mad, my curry's are now crammed with it

Soldato
So when we bought our house the previous owner had a greenhouse put in on a concrete base, this concrete base has been the cause of my problems on a normal day the greenhouse can reached upwards of 35C and the hottest I've ever seen it was over 50C a couple of weeks back this obviously scorches everything inside i have tried different shade nettings etc but none really help, a neighbour advised I buy some of this paint on white shade for the glass and after looking around online and seeing it for 17 quid a bottle i went to my local garden centre today and bought 2 bottles for £14. Got home checked the temp inside at 33C and began to paint after it had dried and given sometime to work I walked in and it was down to 20c a vast improvement and maybe this year my tomatoes wont all be scorched to death.

How much?! Greenhouse shading usually comes dry in sealed packets you tip in a bucket mix a little water till its a paste then add water to dilute then paint it on. Usually costs around a fiver. Then just rub it off when its dry for winter light. One sachet should be enough for a 6x8

The other thing is ventilation most glasshouses don't have enough a roof vent plus some louvre vents low down to allow circulation and leave the door open if the weather is sunny and warm or it'll rapidly overheat this time of year.

Associate
OP
i bought enough to do 4 8x6 greenhouses this was a thick liquid you dilute 8 to 1. well the roof vent is constantly open thanks to the auto vent and i always open the door every morning. the paint on shade has been the key without it i think everything would be scorched already.

Back
Top Bottom