Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
I had a full set of F1A3 then replaced the fronts with another pair which had a different side wall and rim protector which I thought was odd. Then rotated and got a pair of F1A5 on the fronts. The side walls match the updated F1A3.

Reason I went for Eagle F1 was due to the softer side walls to dampen the crashy ride of the Fiesta ST which it did. A set of Bilstein B14 later and that's totally rectified. Can't say I've noticed a great deal of difference in the A3 and A5. Tempted to rotate again and put the A3 on the front to wear them out and also see what difference I can notice with it being FWD.

Both excellent tyres though and never once been disappointed with the levels of grip and comfort. Due to the end of their life they drop off but I usually replace around 2.5-3mm.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Just had new tyres fitted to the Honda S2000 replacing the new rear Toledo TL1000 budget tyres and near 10 year old Bridgestone tyres on the front. So, of course, anything would give an improvement as the car was understeering heavily.

It was a choice between PS4, F1AS5 and the CPC6, PS4 was dismissed due to supply issues and I just preferred F1AS5 plus it seemed to come out on top of equal in all reviews.
Now I'd normally wait longer before posting a review of a tyre because of items like release agents coming out the tyre etc, three tyres are dated 2020 and one is 2019. I had XL versions fitted.

However, upon the first drive the following is immediately obvious with new tyres:
- A slight ride improvement, the jiggles and jolts are still felt but they are more cushioned.
- Car no longer understeers.
- Car is stable at high speed the rear end no longer feels like it is collapsing in long sweeping high-speed bends.
- Braking performance is in another league.
- The tyres do not feel soft or spongy, nor do they feel firm, but steering response is spot on and the car has that cornering on rails feeling.
- Outright grip is in another league in dry. Wet to be tested but the hype about F1AS5 is around its wet performance.

So improved ride quality, but more direct steering response, the car will turn into a corner or roundabout at too high a speed but it just does it and communicates brilliantly what is happening if it does push a little you have the option of applying more lock and the car responds to that. The high-speed sweeping corner issue where the real felt like it was collapsing has now gone, the car is perfectly stable and very confidence inspiring. Braking is in another league, I was thinking about a brake upgrade but now those ideas are squished as it was simply down to rubbish tyres.

The worry over Goodyear was soft sidewalls, well I am getting no feeling of spongy tyres, it is dry and 16c today and on my short drive out the tyres heated up very well and become sticky so absolutely no fears of soft sidewalls it seems Goodyear have maybe mastered that whilst still maintaining ride quality but keeping sporty handling characteristics as well. The grip is simply staggering, an extra 10, maybe 20mph over the rubbish tyres and I even left TC enabled which use to be very intrusive on the front end due to understeer whereas now it is hardly interfering at all, once the release agent has gone I shall turn TC off but they feel incredibly grippy but also progressive, but that can be tested once warn in more.

Overall I have been a die-hard Michelin fan really since the SuperSport and stuck with them since, but I am glad I have tried the F1AS5 now and truly think it may actually be a better sporty tyre than the PS4, but do remember my car is around 1250kg and with myself and the Mrs in the car around 1400kg, but I am very impressed and highly recommend them. When it comes to changing Ferrari tyres I may give the new F1 Supersports a try over PS4S. :)

Caporegime
Was waiting for this post It's surely no surprise decent tyres have done that on a car known for its tyres sensitivity. But i think it's a bit premature to claim that Goodyears are better than Michelin |PS4S? I'd agree they work better than Bridgestones on the road on these cars. The F1AS2 were great on track and road, the wet were great so i can only assume the AS5 is better everywhere.

The lack of bumps going into the car helps grip. And the s2000 brakes are very good, 4 channel ABS helps on the track as that's where i found mine to excel. Under braking it would catch most things.

Soldato
@Gibbo

good first impressions! as said I like my as5s.

no complains with ps4 on the s2k either, epic tyre and for weather like this it does all it needs to do.

you can imagine me nearly leaving my front teeth on the steering wheel after I got my s2k and jammed on the brake first time.

the BBK is epic if overkill for road-driving.

on track it would make sense which is why previous owner installed it.

Soldato
Anyone got any knowledge of the driveshafts in the 8th gen Accords? my 09 2.4 CU2 manual has nasty vibrations under acceleration above 50ish mph, so much so it actually shakes the passenger seat when i accelerate (Along with the whole car shaking horrendously), For the older CL cars you can buy the whole shaft no problem from a normal motor factors, but my car seems impossible (I'm too scared to find out what Honda will charge xD) Anyone able to advise?

Permabanned
I'm a noob how it not hit me that You are Honda Boi again and You will be posting here :) When washing car today seen my continental Rears. Emmm basically i ate em in 9k miles lol was thinking Buying Pilot Sports cause only went with continental due to no option of buying PS4 when i was after tyre in my size as they just came out as the guy said not much to go for on 18 inch rims.. Now You got me Interested in those. Thanks !!!! Them Mileages on Tyres must be Maximum you can get on motorway.
Waiting for update after some time with the Tyre Very interested as a Pilot sport person myself :)

Last edited:
Associate
Just bought this, had a look this morning, sold one of my cars in the afternoon and now on the way to pick it up

OT5PT3.jpg

LEjcCU.jpg

I am too precious with my dc2 so getting this means I can have a nice-ish daily as well.

It is a Cat S, the original damage wasn't structural but the repair is far from perfect cosmetically. Something that I will have to sort out later. The important thing is it's great mechanically and quite cheap for a CW Fn2 so I won't be constantly worried when I am using it.

Soldato
Just bought this, had a look this morning, sold one of my cars in the afternoon and now on the way to pick it up

OT5PT3.jpg

LEjcCU.jpg

I am too precious with my dc2 so getting this means I can have a nice-ish daily as well.

It is a Cat S, the original damage wasn't structural but the repair is far from perfect cosmetically. Something that I will have to sort out later. The important thing is it's great mechanically and quite cheap for a CW Fn2 so I won't be constantly worried when I am using it.
That's lovely, can I ask how much and mileage?

Associate
It's got 116k. I paid £4.5k for it which I think is a bit on the expensive side due to how badly the rear end damage was repaired.

Saying that, I don't think I can get into a cw fn2 for any less than that. It's been really well looked after mechanically from the history. I would say it drives nearly as well as the brand new one I drove 10 years ago.

Associate
Gave it a good clean today to try and see how bad the bodywork is and I was presented with this:

tGU9Tz.jpg

From the history, roof rust was repaired in 2015 and I think they must have done something bad to the paint back then for it to deteriorate to this level. That's the only surprise that I haven't seen when I looked as the car was quite dirty and it didn't stood out. I assume that would be a full roof re-spray to fix that. I am not too fussed though as long as the paint stays on the roof and remains rust free.

The parking sensor bodge that I did see, but shouldn't be too bad to fix:
4upukd.jpg

The fake Mugen spoiler also not been painted too well and is a bit too much for me:

0uC6sP.jpg

Good that they have given me the original spoiler, which will be going back on once the bolts turn up (none were supplied). In the process of looking at the spoiler. The high level brake light was missing as well which is really strange. Luckily, it all worked OK when I put the one from my other Civic on.

Man of Honour
I'm torn on the Mugen/Fake Mugen spoilers.

I think they look alright if they are painted well. I can see why people would dislike them though. I actually quite like the vented Mugen front wings too, but they're expensive for what they are (my FN2 is just a cheap thing to knock about in, I'm not spending hundreds on wings for what was a £1500 car)

Associate
I agree the fake spoiler does look quite nice from a distance, but it is properly heavy and the paint is not good. Maybe the real one is lighter but just not woth putting one on a run around.

It is surprising how cheap these are at the moment, my old colleague just sold a 1 owner car with 220k in pretty good condition for £2k.

Another of my old colleagues is selling a red (not pink) one in mint condition also for £4.5k but I got sucked in by the colour and LSD so went for the cat s one instead. My DC2 is also CW so I just can't help it.

Back
Top Bottom