Received my Barrow Water Block, but wrong one... however...

Soldato
So, basically I'm doing a full new build next month hopefully and getting all my parts. However, a mix up has occured so I originally designed my loop for this waterblock:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

However, what I received was this:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Now this has meant a re-design of my loop, however, it's actually meant I thought about it more... so my orginal design had:

PUMP > Radiator 1 > GPU > CPU > Radiator 2 > PUMP and so on...

However, when thinking about this waterblock design I received, it made me think... should I not be looking at:

PUMP > Radiator 1 > GPU > Radiator 2 > CPU > PUMP and so on...

That way I cool better? This is my first build BTW and pretty much got all the bits now although I seem to have bought 32mm rads and I wanted 27mm rads really as they will be slightly higher now than the port hols on this waterboard... so might send them back or will need plug adaptors to align.

I assume if cooling CPU and GPU, then you would want a radiator factor inbetween them or if not, you'd in my case be pumping warmed GPU water into a CPU without cooling it. As I'm typing this I';m actuallyt hinking this is a silly question and I'm right... but somehow typing it out makes you think about things more. Problem is, I don't get my case until fathers day so I can't even get the piping in etc at moment hahaha

Associate
Like you, I was thinking about the radiator sequence in the loop when I built my system. Then it clicked, at the end of the day its the same amount of heat put into the loop from the two components and the same radiator surface area for its removal so it does not matter about where/sequence in the loop your radiators go.

Don
Yeah, the loop order doesn't make a significant difference to cooling.

The only two real rules you should follow with loop order is to put the reservoir on the pump inlet, so it's easier to the fill the loop initially and to try and keep tubing length as short as possible whilst minimising tight bends.

Soldato
OP
cheers guys, will probably do a thread as I start building next month, but cheers for the info. I would've just though that having the water through the GPU would take the water, heat it up obviously then we'd want to cool it down before sending to the CPU? However if people don't think it makes any difference, then it gives me more options on my design so, most of my stuff is here now, just need case to start basically.

Soldato
design the loop for the least bends, the least fittings, the least tube. All of that adds restriction to the flow and flow is king. As others have said, the loop equalises so that the temps thru the loop are very consistent.

Flow rate is important; it's not that more cools better but you need a minimum amount. Having a minimally restrictive loop then allows you to turn down your pump. A restrictive loop might mean having to run the pump at full power which of course increases vibration and noise.

Back
Top Bottom