• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth replacing my 9900K with a 10900K?

Soldato
**You appear to be the one trolling, give it a rest**

you won't notice a difference even if you had a bone stock 8700k

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
i probably wouldn't to be fair a new mobo and a hotter running chip wont do you any favors over the 9900k you have, i'd save your dosh and look to newer gpu's, ssd's, cases, fans or cooling to push your chip further :)

Soldato
You would likely get an improvement in productivity and if you stream your gaming then it maybe worth it for that, other than that I would say no.

Soldato
If someone wants the likely best gaming CPU out there at any resolution right now (soon!), then this is it, especially if they don't want to trawl through many reviews, often biased or with failings, to try to prove/disprove it.

For most it seems a crazy purchase however. As I'm getting older I get hot flushes just thinking about upgrading mobo too and then selling off all my used tat :) so seems a pointless exercise as someone using a 9900K at the moment, even if it's a bit of a comparative bargain vs a new 9900K (25% extra cores+300mhz more) .But PITA mobo upgrade aside, another 14nm CPU from Intel. It does bode well I think for when they get their next node release right however.
My next upgrade is likely when DDR5 arrives and whatever AMD and Intel have out then. When I first saw it I got a little excited as I thought I could just paste one into my current main system but really cant be bothered with a strip down and mobo replacement too.
PS just kidding about the bargain statement!

Caporegime
The 10900K is not going to give him any better gaming performance ^^^^

Hey all.

Just a quick question is it worth replacing my 9900K running at 5.1GHz to a 10900K? And if I did upgrading would I notice any improvements? Cheers guys!

Its the same CPU with 2 more cores.... unless you actually need those cores no its not worth it.

Soldato
The 10900K is not going to give him any better gaming performance ^^^^

Its the same CPU with 2 more cores.... unless you actually need those cores no its not worth it.
Very true when considering the OP and their OC'd system + quite right about needing extra cores. I also think if someone could do with 2 extra, they could probably do with another 4 on top of that :).
Difficult sell which would have a more compelling case if could just chuck one into an existing Z490 mobo, higher end at least.

Permabanned
I dont get the hype about these new cpus. There isn't a single game out there right now that will even use the full extent of anything new coming. Not for at least another 2 years. Correct me if I am wrong.

Caporegime
I dont get the hype about these new cpus. There isn't a single game out there right now that will even use the full extent of anything new coming. Not for at least another 2 years. Correct me if I am wrong.

Because new shiny, we are all guilty of getting new stuff we don't need just because its new.... in this case tho if you already have a 9900K it really is a pointless move, even if you spend all day tile rendering you're not gaining much.

Soldato
Star Citizen can use more cores...
But it can give even 12c/24t good workout making this another Skylake +2 cores of Intel moot point especially for the price upgrade would cost.

And if it can use two more cores then it can use even more of them.
And in that Intel still falls short of competition.
Unless purpose is to heat up room...

Associate
Hey all.

Just a quick question is it worth replacing my 9900K running at 5.1GHz to a 10900K? And if I did upgrading would I notice any improvements? Cheers guys!

Yeah why not sell your 9900k and put a little money in for the newest intel flagship if you really want to go down that road but I’d be more then happy with a 9900k for another year till rocket lake is released.

Permabanned
Star Citizen can use more cores...
But it can give even 12c/24t good workout making this another Skylake +2 cores of Intel moot point especially for the price upgrade would cost.

And if it can use two more cores then it can use even more of them.
And in that Intel still falls short of competition.
Unless purpose is to heat up room...

So just the one game then lol.

Soldato
That isn't even really out yet and there's no guarantee it ever will be.
But that's where future games/engines will go.
While some core parts of games just don't multithread at all, other parts can be multithreaded and no doubt developers can think new uses for extra cores.
And once inventing ways to use them/new uses for cores are done, scaling from 8 to 12 core isn't really much any work.
We have to remember that Intel basically killed advance of game development for nearly decade with their "Four cores is high end" greedyness.

Caporegime
I know, but the point was made that there was no point upgrading from an 8 core 9900k to a 10 core 10700k, as games won't use the extra cores for approx 2 years.

Then you used Star Citizen as a current example.

But that's not a finished game.

Associate
Hey all.

A questions I’d also been thinking of asking This as I’m in the same boat just with a KS.

One part of me knows I want it because it’s new with like a 1% improvement in games.
The other knows it’s a complete waste of time from a 9900k/ks.

I will wait for the reviews and benchmarks to see if/how far in front it is of 9th gen and the 3950x and decide from there.

Associate
I also have a 9900ks but my thinking at the time I bought it was my old cpu was bottle necking my GPU so I bought the best gaming cpu at the time.

So I think that the correct time to upgrade is when my current cpu bottlenecks my GPU I'm hoping that will be a few years.

I think assassin's creed will use more than 8 cores according to the YouTube videos I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom