**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Associate
My thoughts so far from having it a few days.

Link below for size comparison from my old mate 20x to this, hopefully the link wirkd.
https://i.imgur.com/3VznkXl.jpg
This is a small phone for sure, easy 1 hand for me and I have small hands.
The screen is the gem on this phone, looks so nice and really bright. The 120hz has to be seen to be believed. So smooth and fluid, really makes 60hz look bad. You deffo won't go back for it. I was messing on my mates iPhone 11 pro and it just doesn't have the smoothness and fluidity of this.

I don't mind the curved screen at all. Mine didn't have a protector fitted but had 2 in the box, cheap nasty ones mind.

Sound is really good as well , wasn't expecting it to get close to the proper dual speakers ok the 20x but it's pretty good.

No complaints with the camera so far , not really had chance to test it properly with work.

So far pretty happy with it , battery I doubt will match the 20x but we will see in time.
It may be a bit faster than the 20x but it's not massive , considering I had that phone 7 months and it's still fast as hell.
Looking forward to faster updates on oxygen.

Thanks for the comparison.

What are you going to do with the Mate 20 X? Are you to swop between the 2.

Have you tried a comparison with the Bluetooth Audio between the 2?

Soldato
This is a small phone for sure
I have to echo Andy, I was about to post you must be the first (and dare I say it only) person who has described the 8 Pro as 'small'. It is awfully narrow compared to that 20x mind you. In fact that's another thing that has put me off the 8 Pro, it's narrower still than my 7T Pro which means you're not actually gaining any screen real estate and indeed even losing some when watching videos in landscape. I don't particularly care for the taller/narrower trend.

Soldato
I got my phone replaced, the factory fitted screen protector is a joke, covered in dents etc, i'm waiting on replacements until I remove it though. Screen was about as bad (tint and uniformity) the old one, however getting the latest update last night seems to have improved the situation a lot.

Overall I'm pretty happy right now, but never again am I buying a OnePlus - it needs to be right right out of the box FIRST TIME at these prices. So that's now Google and OnePlus that have done me over with QC, I'm going to be forced to Apple at this rate.

Soldato
I went with the screen protector below its a little pricey £27. It was a breeze to put on and you can't tell it has one on.
Ultimate Shield Liquid Glass

Associate
I have to echo Andy, I was about to post you must be the first (and dare I say it only) person who has described the 8 Pro as 'small'. It is awfully narrow compared to that 20x mind you. In fact that's another thing that has put me off the 8 Pro, it's narrower still than my 7T Pro which means you're not actually gaining any screen real estate and indeed even losing some when watching videos in landscape. I don't particularly care for the taller/narrower trend.

Agree with this also - I had one delivered today to replace a Note 10+ refurb which was faulty on arrival. Have to say, I prefer the Note screen size over this - muhc more usable screen estate.

Just now I'm contemplating returning this/exchanging it for the Note again (although I'll miss the 120hz!)

Associate
I got my phone replaced, the factory fitted screen protector is a joke, covered in dents etc, i'm waiting on replacements until I remove it though. Screen was about as bad (tint and uniformity) the old one, however getting the latest update last night seems to have improved the situation a lot.

Overall I'm pretty happy right now, but never again am I buying a OnePlus - it needs to be right right out of the box FIRST TIME at these prices. So that's now Google and OnePlus that have done me over with QC, I'm going to be forced to Apple at this rate.
Apple isn’t any better with launch day QC - they purposely lower QC standards to get the volume out. If you want good QC wait 2-3 months following a launch or you end up playing the QC lottery. The devices that go to the reviewers are hand picked.

Soldato
I actually like the form factor of this phone.
So far no issues for me with it.
Was messing on my mate 20x, it's amazing how much difference the 120hz make.

Soldato
The form factor is great for portrait mode where I spend most of my time. The extra vertical space is welcome. Landscape and video content don't gel nearly as well.

Yes the 120hz is luscious. You can't go back to 60hz after this.

Soldato
I have found an (personal) ergonomics issue with the location of the volume down/power button as I on general take around 4-5 unintended screen shots a day, this occurs when using either button one-handed on the palm. Looked everywhere but cannot find out how to disable that key bind.

Associate
Anyone noticed image retention on a grey background? Some people are seeing wallpapers imagines and icons at the top being retained.

Yes.

No image retention apart from the notification bar clock, WiFi, batter icons etc.

They remained for over 24 hours after I removed all icons

Associate
None here, any on yours?
Same as above - I have image retention in the status bar from icons that are displayed. It resolves after a few minutes though but I’ve seen some pretty bad burn in pics on the XDA forums.

Theory is that it’s due to OP using lower grade Samsung screens because the retention issues are not present on the S20 range.

Back
Top Bottom