Live Stream of my Bird Box - Bluetits Nesting - Chicks Hatching Now

Soldato
The male and female have been out hunting bugs non-stop this morning. They're getting fed a lot!

From an evolutionary point of view, asking in case anyone knows. Do the parents try to ensure even distribution of food between the chicks. Or do they just pick whoever raises their mouth the highest, or by chance who is nearest?

Soldato
OP
We've been wondering that too. In general it seems to be first mouth open first served. But we have noticed on a few occasions where one has trapped under another chick and not recieved food for a while the parent has made an exaggerated attempt to feed that particular one.

But that's only based on watching the camera feed. I don't know the biological answer.

What I've also noticed is that as soon as they are fed they sort of collapse and lie down for at least a few minutes. Longer if it's a large insect. This is probably for digestion but they almost go to sleep for a short period. Whether by design or not that seems to then give the other chicks a chance at the next couple of food deliveries.

I can imagine in a brood of 10 chicks for example competition for food must be absolutely fierce.

Man of Honour
If you stand nearby can you hear the chicks? I'm wondering if something is up with our box as I'm not seeing or hearing any activity. I was seeing the adults go in and out until about a week ago. May be something has had our eggs.

Soldato
OP
Not yet no. Chicks are not making any audible noise yet either from the camera mic or from standing near the box.

Guess that will come in a few days. I can hear an absolute racket from a nearby sparrows nest though.

Permabanned
@Nazbit

Really loving this mate, thanks a lot!

Out of interest, I've been going through the posts and you took some photos quite a few pages back of some blackbirds. What camera where you using out of interest?

Soldato
OP
Chicks are very active right now. More movement, quicker to react to noises and parents returning and more aggresive to beg for food.

Also look at them on comparison to the remaining eggs. There's no way they could fit back in to those eggs now they've grown more than you realise when you're watching them all the time.

Associate
My nest is still going strong. The smaller chick that hatched later died but the other 3 are fine. Parents are finding some pretty big caterpillars now.

Soldato
OP
Box1-20200515-121721860-1.jpg

Box1-20200515-124449027-1.jpg

Soldato
The male and female have been out hunting bugs non-stop this morning. They're getting fed a lot!

From an evolutionary point of view, asking in case anyone knows. Do the parents try to ensure even distribution of food between the chicks. Or do they just pick whoever raises their mouth the highest, or by chance who is nearest?
My guess would be the loudest, most active ones will get fed more/first

Soldato
Do you think birds get bored? Apart from feeds all she’s got going on is to look at is four wooden walls. Any human would be going stir crazy by now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When she sits on them now she struggles to contain them within the cup of the nest. Theres usually at least one neck and beak popping out from the side and if she shifts a bit one way to close the gap another will shoot our of the other side :p

Box1-20200516-101611712-1.jpg

Soldato
OP
Its amazing how much they have developed already.

Firstly in size they are bigger, more elongated and have considerably less cute proportions. Look at how they fill the nest cup where they were previously lost in it. Imagine if all seven had hatched!!

Look at the tufts of hair on their foreheads the begginings of feathers along their wings and formation of feet / toes whatever the bird term is.

Box1-20200514-154358454-1.jpg

Box1-20200516-104042597-1.jpg

I beleive over the next few days we will start to see them growing feathers over more of their body and they should open their eyes around the middle of the week.

Not sure at what point they start chirping but they're still silent at the moment.

Soldato
OP
You can also see the youngest and the oldest quite easily if you watch for a few minutes. The 36 hours between them is quite visible at this stage now that they are showing these signs of development. Its not possible to tell between the middle two but they were both within a few hours of each other so it was never going to be.

Look at the development of the feather growth points and in particular at the thickness of the wing limb. The oldest must be 2 - 3 times as bug as the youngest and still visibly bigger than the other two middle chicks.

Box1-20200516-112715748-1.jpg

Soldato
Fascinating. I’m loving watching them develop. It’s like OCUK Springwatch :D. Maybe since they eat bugs we should rename them after the Beatles.

Back
Top Bottom