So, why has everyone started prefixing every sentence with the word so?

Soldato
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed recently that people now seem incapable of stringing a sentence without starting it with the word 'so' ?

It's the same with the written word. just have a look at the forum posts.

Where did it come from?

Associate
The young also use "wait."

Yes I'll "wait" for you to stop saying "like" so I can decipher what you're trying to say.

Soldato
On these forums or generally?

I think I sometimes do it on these forums. Starting a thread with 'Hi all' doesn't seem to quite make sense, and 'so', works :p

Man of Honour
What the post modern cultural marxist identity politics types would have you believe is that starting every sentence you utter with "so" is a good and decent way to orient yourself in the world. WRONG. It's like, sure there's some compelling arguments to be made, but if you study the clinical literature there's not one shred of evidence for that behaviour being a predictor of success. NOT ONE. Now you might think "OK, so I just won't say "so" at all", well what sort of bloody medium to long term strategy is that? I'm sorry but it's just not a good one, at all. Follow that for a few weeks and see where you end up, but I'll tell you, I've seen at least a few dozen examples of how that plays out in my clinical practice and it is unbelievably brutal. It's like "Well OK maybe I don't know when I'm supposed to say "so" anymore", so what are you supposed to do, eh? The answer is "say it at the end of bloody sentences!", and you're pathetic and useless and unreliable so you'll only do it maybe 20% of the time, and you might think "well if I don't try I can't fail". OK, but that means you'll just fail all the time then, except you won't know it, not until you fail so hard you're just done, and that can easily happen by the time your post count hits 10,000. At least that's how it seems to me, so...

Caporegime
probably from tv/sports hopefully originating from a non english speaker.

like the over use of "for sure" you used to see said in a lot of sporting interviews with people whos first language wasn't english.

one of my ex was German speaking and often would come out with "for sure" and even I ended up doing it although I did know better choices of words I could have used instead.

I guess we have an instinct to mimic others

Permabanned
What the post modern cultural marxist identity politics types would have you believe is that starting every sentence you utter with "so" is a good and decent way to orient yourself in the world. WRONG. It's like, sure there's some compelling arguments to be made, but if you study the clinical literature there's not one shred of evidence for that behaviour being a predictor of success. NOT ONE. Now you might think "OK, so I just won't say "so" at all", well what sort of bloody medium to long term strategy is that? I'm sorry but it's just not a good one, at all. Follow that for a few weeks and see where you end up, but I'll tell you, I've seen at least a few dozen examples of how that plays out in my clinical practice and it is unbelievably brutal. It's like "Well OK maybe I don't know when I'm supposed to say" so" anymore", so what are you supposed to do, eh? The answer is "say it at the end of bloody sentences!", and you're pathetic and useless and unreliable so you'll only do it maybe 20% of the time, and you might think "well if I don't try I can't fail". OK, but that means you'll just fail all the time then, except you won't know it, not until you fail so hard you're just done, and that can easily happen by the time your post count hits 10,000. At least that's how it seems to me, so...

Whut.....

Soldato
So it goes like this. Somebody starts a new fashion and as most people are sheep they jump knowingly or unknowingly on the bandwagon.

Back
Top Bottom