Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Associate
Nice, looks good.
How are the built in speakers?
Looks like the stand is attached with screws?

Just having dinner will try to find out answers to the coating question later. Stand came attached minus backplate. Backplate latches in with a metal tab, 2 locating pins and a single screw with finger twist.

Associate
How are you finding the anti glare coating?

i.e. on a white screen or with some black text, does it look fuzzy/grainy?

EDIT:

Beat me to it.

Also, motion blur/clarity?

Can use this site here:

https://www.testufo.com/photo

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

You might get better results if you can go into the monitor OSD to adjust overdrive etc.

How do you use those tests ? I using my old screen for comparison purposes but nothing happens when I click Ready ?

Associate
Graining-wise I have no issues with the matte finish. Text looks crisp. Previous monitor was gloss so the difference is obvious but it doesn't look too "textured" so to speak.

Out of the box the motion blur tests did not look like true 120fps to me for some reason. Looked more like 60fps (definitely running at 120 however). Played with the Overdrive settings and you could see the mild ghosting turn to corona/inverse ghosting when turned up to maximum overdrive. However still looked 60fps for some reason. When I turned on MBR however overdrive was disabled (same for brightness settings etc.) and everything looked very smooth more as expected. However you can notice some corona/ghosting/colour shift when dragging windows around for example.

To be honest best to leave that to professionals to review as just because I can see it doesn't say anything about how bad it is compared to other monitors.

Speakers: sound reasonable. Can get loud enough without noticeable distortion, but sounds a bit "muffled" for the lack of a better word. Hard to separate the lows from the highs, if that makes sense? I have no intention to ever use them however. They did surprisingly have some decent low end to them though!

Caporegime
Graining-wise I have no issues with the matte finish. Text looks crisp. Previous monitor was gloss so the difference is obvious but it doesn't look too "textured" so to speak.

Out of the box the motion blur tests did not look like true 120fps to me for some reason. Looked more like 60fps (definitely running at 120 however). Played with the Overdrive settings and you could see the mild ghosting turn to corona/inverse ghosting when turned up to maximum overdrive. However still looked 60fps for some reason. When I turned on MBR however overdrive was disabled (same for brightness settings etc.) and everything looked very smooth more as expected. However you can notice some corona/ghosting/colour shift when dragging windows around for example.

To be honest best to leave that to professionals to review as just because I can see it doesn't say anything about how bad it is compared to other monitors.

Speakers: sound reasonable. Can get loud enough without noticeable distortion, but sounds a bit "muffled" for the lack of a better word. Hard to separate the lows from the highs, if that makes sense? I have no intention to ever use them however. They did surprisingly have some decent low end to them though!

Make sure to adjust the refresh rate in Windows.
Right click the desktop, Display settings, Advanced Display settings at the bottom, then it shows the refresh rate here. If it's not right, click Display Adaptor Properties for Display 1, Then the Monitor tab and change the refresh rate here and apply.

Associate
I have the AOC u3477Pqu ultra wide which uses an AH-IPS screen, but it is only 60hz. I would be very interested to find out more about this iiyama, if it would be a good upgrade or not.

Associate
Make sure to adjust the refresh rate in Windows.
Right click the desktop, Display settings, Advanced Display settings at the bottom, then it shows the refresh rate here. If it's not right, click Display Adaptor Properties for Display 1, Then the Monitor tab and change the refresh rate here and apply.

Definitely running at 120Hz, don't worry. I double checked by switching down to 60 and back to 120. This morning it reset itself back to 144Hz (bit with 6-bit colour) and it felt noticeably smoother. Monitor seems to perform its best at 144Hz, but unfortunately my 980ti can't support it.

Associate
Would an RTX 2060 be able to provide decent FPS on this size of monitor?

Depends what you're playing, and how high you want the graphics settings really.

Esports games?..Yeah.

Red Dead Redemption 2?..No.

I'm going to be using a 2070 with it and don't plan on upgrading soon.

Associate
I got this monitor in yesterday and got my buddy to bring his 34GK950F down for some comparison. Here are some thoughts for whoever is interested:

A photo of it set up - https://postimg.cc/SYSyTgVv

Build:
the screen without the stand is slightly over 7kg due to the built-in speakers and power supply, so double check your monitor arm specs if you're planning on mounting it that way. Top and side bezels are flush with the screen and very thin - around 5mm. The chin is thicker, like on LG's monitors. The plastic is flush with the display and there is no play in the casing when applying pressure, which is always nice. The OSD is controlled via 5 separate buttons instead of a joystick, which would have been better. The power button is slightly apart from the rest, at least, which helps in getting used to the layout.

Flat screen:
I come from a 29" flat monitor, so going up to this 34" hasn't really been a problem at all. It's only 2.3" wider on each side than my old display, or compared to a 16:9 flat 32" - 1.7" wider on each side.

Matte Coating: It's thicker than the one LG use. If you look at a white page from a foot away you can spot the "crystallised" pattern. That being said, I spend a lot of time working in Excel on my PC, which is pretty much a worst case scenario for this - black lines and text on a white background, and it doesn't bother me at all. I sit about 32" away from the monitor.

Colours: I don't have a colorimeter but they looked nice and vibrant compared to my old 29" LG IPS. Colours on the 34GK950F were more oversaturated and vivid by comparison due to its wider colour gamut. The monitor supports 10bit processing (8bit + FRC). The viewing angles aren't as good as on a curved 34". There is some slight discolouration right near the edge of the side bezels. E.g. discord active channel tab graphic or fullscreen scrollbar

Brightness: Definitely bright enough. I have it set at 25/100 throughout the day. My metric is being able to open a full white screen without feeling discomfort.

IPS glow: 4 small yellow patches of glow near each of the four corners. A big orange patch near the bottom left corner. The latter causes some discolouration even when using the monitor in a well lit room, effectively making the left 20% of the display look warmer than the rest. Overall, I'd call this above average - worse than LG's old panels (X34P, AW3418), slightly worse than their newer ones (34GK950F). Don't buy this if you are planning to mainly game in a dark room. Of course there is a lot of variance here, so take my sample point with a grain of salt.
Here's a photo - https://postimg.cc/SnHL1sY9

Response Time: there are 5 levels of overdrive in the OSD, ranging from -2 to +2. "+2" shows some strong haloing straight away at 144Hz, so probably not usable for most people. "+1" has minor inverse ghosting, but barely noticeable. Played an hour or two at that setting at both 60Hz and 144Hz and am satisfied with the performance - there is no dark level smearing like on VA panels. The ghosting is a bit worse than the 34GK950F in the UFO test. Overall, I'd say this is practically a 120Hz monitor. Bumping the refresh down from 144 to 120 shows a visible reduction in ghosting trails in both UFO test and general use like moving windows around & scrolling in discord or a browser. I didn't notice any problems with input lag. I also didn't test the MPRT mode because I rather have adaptive sync.

Adaptive Sync: I haven't had the time to test with an Nvidia GPU yet. On my Vega 64 I tested Freesync both at 144Hz, 30Hz and 45-50Hz (around the LFC activation range). No tearing, flickering, stuttering or any other problems of note. The "Freesync Premium" standard seems to be implemented well here.

Overall: for the price this is a cracking good display in my opinion. The biggest downside for me is the glow level, but it's not a deal breaker. I would also have liked to see a software app to control the OSD, hopefully iiyama can develop one eventually. I'll probably get the 34GN850 from OCUK to check it out, if they get stock this month, but I doubt it will be sufficiently better to justify at ~£600 premium.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took a punt on this monitor. Biggest I've had in the past is a 19 inch dell, so super excited to see this up and running.

Thanks for the overview.

Associate
IPS glow: 4 small yellow patches of glow near each of the four corners. A big orange patch near the bottom left corner. The latter causes some discolouration even when using the monitor in a well lit room, effectively making the left 20% of the display look warmer than the rest. Overall, I'd call this above average - worse than LG's old panels (X34P, AW3418), slightly worse than their newer ones (34GK950F). Don't buy this if you are planning to mainly game in a dark room. Of course there is a lot of variance here, so take my sample point with a grain of salt.

Could you try take a photo of the orange discolouration?

Caporegime
OP
I got this monitor in yesterday and got my buddy to bring his 34GK950F down for some comparison. Here are some thoughts for whoever is interested:

A photo of it set up - https://postimg.cc/SYSyTgVv

Build:
the screen without the stand is slightly over 7kg due to the built-in speakers and power supply, so double check your monitor arm specs if you're planning on mounting it that way. Top and side bezels are flush with the screen and very thin - around 5mm. The chin is thicker, like on LG's monitors. The plastic is flush with the display and there is no play in the casing when applying pressure, which is always nice. The OSD is controlled via 5 separate buttons instead of a joystick, which would have been better. The power button is slightly apart from the rest, at least, which helps in getting used to the layout.

Flat screen:
I come from a 29" flat monitor, so going up to this 34" hasn't really been a problem at all. It's only 2.3" wider on each side than my old display, or compared to a 16:9 flat 32" - 1.7" wider on each side.

Matte Coating: It's thicker than the one LG use. If you look at a white page from a foot away you can spot the "crystallised" pattern. That being said, I spend a lot of time working in Excel on my PC, which is pretty much a worst case scenario for this - black lines and text on a white background, and it doesn't bother me at all. I sit about 32" away from the monitor.

Colours: I don't have a colorimeter but they looked nice and vibrant compared to my old 29" LG IPS. Colours on the 34GK950F were more oversaturated and vivid by comparison due to its wider colour gamut. The monitor supports 10bit processing (8bit + FRC). The viewing angles aren't as good as on a curved 34". There is some slight discolouration right near the edge of the side bezels. E.g. discord active channel tab graphic or fullscreen scrollbar

Brightness: Definitely bright enough. I have it set at 25/100 throughout the day. My metric is being able to open a full white screen without feeling discomfort.

Response Time: there are 5 levels of overdrive in the OSD, ranging from -2 to +2. "+2" shows some strong haloing straight away at 144Hz, so probably not usable for most people. "+1" has minor inverse ghosting, but barely noticeable. Played an hour or two at that setting at both 60Hz and 144Hz and am satisfied with the performance - there is no dark level smearing like on VA panels. The ghosting is a bit worse than the 34GK950F in the UFO test. Overall, I'd say this is practically a 120Hz monitor. Bumping the refresh down from 144 to 120 shows a visible reduction in ghosting trails in both UFO test and general use like moving windows around & scrolling in discord or a browser. I didn't notice any problems with input lag. I also didn't test the MPRT mode because I rather have adaptive sync.

Adaptive Sync: I haven't had the time to test with an Nvidia GPU yet. On my Vega 64 I tested Freesync both at 144Hz, 30Hz and 45-50Hz (around the LFC activation range). No tearing, flickering, stuttering or any other problems of note. The "Freesync Premium" standard seems to be implemented well here.

Overall: for the price this is a cracking good display in my opinion. The biggest downside for me is the glow level, but it's not a deal breaker. I would also have liked to see a software app to control the OSD, hopefully iiyama can develop one eventually. I'll probably get the 34GN850 from OCUK to check it out, if they get stock this month, but I doubt it will be sufficiently better to justify at ~£600 premium.

Nice summary there!

Which LG 29" monitor did you come from, I currently have the 29um65 and it is pretty spot on in the whole

How do you find the overall quality compared to the LG 29" i.e.

- blacks/contrast ratio, these 29" monitors from LG have always been great here with contrast ratio being about 1300/1500:1 depending on the panel
- sharpness/coating, is the heavier finish noticeable? i.e. does it reduce the "pop" of the screen
- motion compared to the LG 29", I imagine it should be noticeably better given 60 vs 120/144hz....

Back
Top Bottom