• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
@humbug
I'll would be interested in seeing a comparison that is more 1to1
Have you tried using different encoding types?
Amd supports HEVC and AVC but keep in mind youtube will not use HEVC once its uploaded to YouTube it will be AVC.

How do other games compare from your experience do you have others to compare?

In my understanding they really isn't much between the two vendors in how they capture the screen.

Soldato
Gpu encoding will always struggle with certain types of games it's one of the reasons streamers don't use GPU encoding it's fast but not accurate enough.
Fast pace games like shooter struggle or games with lots of grass, tree etc loose quality.

CPU encoding is much slower but also more accurate but also results in worst performance penalties than GPU.

Between Amd and nvidia they really shouldn't be any difference between them when using same settings.

Caporegime
Hell Let Lose is another game i play at the moment, and Stellaris.

I use Star Citizen because the game uses no compromise very high detail textures and assets, look at the brushed alloy dash, the grain is completely missing from the second screen grab replaced by colour banding. as is the terrain detail from the planet.....

I'll get identical screen grabs when i have time.

Xon

Xon

Associate
I have an MSI B450 MAX, a Ryzen 3600X and a Gigabyte RX 5600XT - bought in March. I had one good month or so. Since then, crashes, reboots and the lot. It is a nightmare to boot - Windows crashes whilst loading. If I let it idle in the BIOS for 10 minutes and try to boot, everything works. If I remove AMD drivers, everything works.

I've tried playing around with drivers but no luck. Seems Windows CU April and May have done a number on this combo. I've had ATI/AMD since 2000 but for the first time ever in 20 years, I think I'll be returning and getting Nvidia. Any last minute suggestions?

Soldato
I have an MSI B450 MAX, a Ryzen 3600X and a Gigabyte RX 5600XT - bought in March. I had one good month or so. Since then, crashes, reboots and the lot. It is a nightmare to boot - Windows crashes whilst loading. If I let it idle in the BIOS for 10 minutes and try to boot, everything works. If I remove AMD drivers, everything works.

I've tried playing around with drivers but no luck. Seems Windows CU April and May have done a number on this combo. I've had ATI/AMD since 2000 but for the first time ever in 20 years, I think I'll be returning and getting Nvidia. Any last minute suggestions?

What are your VDDG / VDDP / SOC voltages? I had stability issues due to stock/auto volts with my 3600X on B450 tomahawk max.

Xon

Xon

Associate
Everything default.. thing is if i let it idle on the BIOS for 10 mins or so then boot up, pc will work fine for a couple of days - until a reboot or shutdown. Also, if I don't install VGA drivers, PC will boot up without crashing.

Soldato
Everything default.. thing is if i let it idle on the BIOS for 10 mins or so then boot up, pc will work fine for a couple of days - until a reboot or shutdown. Also, if I don't install VGA drivers, PC will boot up without crashing.

I've had similar issues. When I first built this PC, with RAM speeds and volts all set at Auto/stock, the system was rock solid. However if I simply enable XMP, the system will not POST, I get red CPU debug LED. In fact, at auto volts, my system doesn't POST above about 2800mhz RAM speeds.

I followed Ryzen calculator for some RAM / volt settings for 3600mhz, for me it was 0.9v VDDP/VDDG and 1.025v SOC. When I first tried these settings with 3600mhz for my RAM speeds, it POSTed and loaded Windows first time no problem and I though I had it sussed. However after about a week of running the system I was seeing weird, random crashes. For example I would finish playing a game, quitting to desktop. I would leave the machine and come back to a black screen, but machine powered on. I would need to power off and turn it back on. Or I would close web browser and system would lock up, again needing power off and restart.

I thought at this point I had issues with my Windows install. So I set everything back to stock, re-installed Windows then restored my overclock settings in BIOS. Issues continued, mainly when the system was going from load to idle. This time I set BIOS to stock, booted back into Windows and checked my stock volts in Ryzen master. The voltages were around the same or only marginally lower than the overide voltages I had set based off Ryzen calculator.

After this I tried going step by step with starting at 1.0v VDDP / VDDG / 1.1v SOC and testing. At these voltages it was perfectly stable, after changing each voltage separately I've gotten to the point I'm happy is the minimum volts on my machine to solve the instabilities/crashing.

1.0v VDDG / 0.975v VDDP / 1.065v SOC roughly.

I swear a lot of issues for the 5700XT are down to the Ryzen CPUs, I'm not sure of the technical reasons but it seems like all my issues were down to the volts with the memory controller / infinity fabric volts on the CPU, not sure how much the motherboard impacts this?

Xon

Xon

Associate
Just tried your 1/1/1.1 V settings - no luck. Still crashes as soon as windows load unless i let it idle for 10 minutes on the BIOS screen. It's been a good run I think from the Rage Fury MAXX to this... never had any issues with any of the cards right up till now.. the R9 380 I had before this was rock solid. But the past month has been hell and I'm done. I just want to switch on the pc and play tbh I'm too old for all this crap.

Soldato
Just tried your 1/1/1.1 V settings - no luck. Still crashes as soon as windows load unless i let it idle for 10 minutes on the BIOS screen. It's been a good run I think from the Rage Fury MAXX to this... never had any issues with any of the cards right up till now.. the R9 380 I had before this was rock solid. But the past month has been hell and I'm done. I just want to switch on the pc and play tbh I'm too old for all this crap.

Ah well worth a shot :D

Soldato
Do you still have the 380 you could put back in and test? see if you still get the same issues?

Caporegime
What's a good Video Bit Rate for high quality recording in OBS? i cranked it up to 50,000 Kbps and that seemed to go fine but then i played it back.... its corrupted :D

Any advice of getting a nice clean sharp recording from OBS?

Associate
@VaderDSL

I've my 3200 Ram OC to 3800/1900 with no issues.

Went on to computerbase.de forums and couple user helped me because came across a tweet on twitter.

I've my VDDP at 0.860mv anything higher was choking the system. SoC is 1.1mv.

• Do not use voltages that are too high for SOC and DRAM. The calculator will tell you which range of values you should try for a stable result. Generally, the best SOC values fall between 0.97–1.025 V.
  • Jitter occurs when riding or falling edges occur at times that differ from the ideal time. Some edges occur early, some occur late. In a digital circuit, all signals are transmitted in reference to clock signals. The deviation of the digital signal as a result of reflections, intersymbol interference, crosstalk, PVT (process-voltage-temperature) variations, and other factors amounts to jitter. Some jitter is simply random.
  • Always use extra cooling for RAM. Lower voltages also mean less heat. By reducing the heat, you reduce the thermal radiation and decay, which makes your system more stable.
  • A change to procODT or RTT is required when the system does not POST, has a huge number of errors, or a BSOD occurs.
  • Single and rare errors can be fixed by manually changing the following timings: (1) tFAW (tRRDS *4 <= best value <= tRRDS *6), (2) increasing tRRDS by 1 or 2, or (3) changing tRTP (from 1/2 * tWR to 12).
  • Single and rare errors can be fixed by changing tRDWR (from 6 to 9) and tWRRD (from 1 to 4). Note that timings must be configured in pairs. Example: tRDWR 6 and tWRRD 2, tRDWR 6 and tWRRD 3, tRDWR 6 and tWRRD 4, tRDWR 7 and tWRRD 1, and so on.
  • Single and rare errors can be fixed by changing tRFC. The calculator suggests several options for tRFC. Also, do not forget that tRC is a multiple of tRFC. For example, tRC = 44 -> tRFC 6 (or 8) * 44; tRFC 2/4 does not need to be configured for Ryzen.
  • Enabling Geardown can improve system stability.
  • VDDP can improve the stability of the system. The recommended range is 855 mV to 950 mV. Try increasing it in steps of 10–15 mV.
  • Disabling spread-spectrum can improve the stability of the system.
  • The source of errors can also be Windows, which is not necessarily a problem with overclocking.
  • Increasing tRCDRD and tRP by 1 can improve stability and reduce memory voltage requirements.
  • RTT_NOM disabled will sometimes have better stability.
  • Increased resistance for RTT_PARK or procODT can improve stability.
  • Do not forget to follow the rule tRC = tRAS + tRP.
  • CLDO_VDDP. Best values: default (850 mV), 950 mV, 945 mV, 940 mV, 915 mV, 905 mV, 895 mV, 865 mV, and 840 mV.
  • Even values for tWRWR SCL and tRDRD SCL can improve system stability. For example 4-4 or 6-6.
  • Excessive overclocking of the processor can negatively affect the stability of the RAM.
  • CAD_BUS 24 30 24 24 can be useful for configurations with two modules, and 24-20-24-24 for configurations that consist of four modules.
  • Look out for motherboard BIOS updates that include updates to AGESA as newer versions improve memory-tuning capabilities.

Soldato
Yeah it's weird. I cannot get the machine to POST at XMP on auto volts for VDDP/VDDG, I have to set the, to around 1.0v each, and even at stock the VDDG / VDDP volts are up above 0.9v according to Ryzen master, wondering if it's a poor CPU or a faulty CPU?

Associate
Yeah it's weird. I cannot get the machine to POST at XMP on auto volts for VDDP/VDDG, I have to set the, to around 1.0v each, and even at stock the VDDG / VDDP volts are up above 0.9v according to Ryzen master, wondering if it's a poor CPU or a faulty CPU?

I've read that when you have XMP enabled you need more DRAM voltage than what auto has suggested. I would leave everything on Auto and manually set DRAM voltage higher just to to see if it boots.

Troubleshoot one thing at a time before we can start blaming over hardware.

What Ram sticks have you got?

Soldato
I've read that when you have XMP enabled you need more DRAM voltage than what auto has suggested. I would leave everything on Auto and manually set DRAM voltage higher just to to see if it boots.

Troubleshoot one thing at a time before we can start blaming over hardware.

Cheers, yeah I've tried everything I can think of, ram from 1.35v - 1.5v. Subtimings, all sorts, just gives Red CPU debug LED. I thought it was normal when running 3600mhz RAM, but apparently a lot of people plug it in, enable XMP and away they go?

Associate
Cheers, yeah I've tried everything I can think of, ram from 1.35v - 1.5v. Subtimings, all sorts, just gives Red CPU debug LED. I thought it was normal when running 3600mhz RAM, but apparently a lot of people plug it in, enable XMP and away they go?

Did you test your ram sticks incase there faulty? Also unstable ram for me that wouldn't boot while was in process of overclocking ram always threw up the CPU red light on Mobo.

Back
Top Bottom