Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Nope - they still do a 55TFSI S-Line. With 340bhp it's basically an S6 in everything but badge. You just hardly see them as the market is astonishingly small. I understand paradigms point - I'll soon have a 2 mile each way commute and a 540i would be far more suited than my 530d - but people like us are in the minority as most people with low mileage and a desire for a powerful petrol car buy a sports car or something.

The S Series Audi's always were a triumph of marketing - an S4 was no different to a 340i M Sport but because it had S in front of it the market seemed to lose sight of the fact it was roughly the equivalent car in terms of price and performance. This is probably what pushed BMW into the 'M Performance' area.

A 340bhp petrol / diesel isn't really a replacement for the S6. The last version had a 440bhp twin-turbo v8.

Man of Honour
A 340bhp petrol / diesel isn't really a replacement for the S6. The last version had a 440bhp twin-turbo v8.

Sorry, I was thinking of the S4 specifically there, my mistake. However this further highlights my point - the previous S6 was a pointless car. Why would anyone buy one? Massively powerful incredibly thirsty V8 - a true enthusiasts only car. So buy an RS6? Which everyone did - over the last few years of its production Audi seem to have sold hardly any S6 in the UK, the RS6 selling in far greater numbers (Quite a feat for something as niche as the RS6).

It was a pointless car and is now a much better and more appealing car as a 350bhp diesel. If you want a proper hot petrol Audi, you buy an RS.

I'm not being anti Audi - the BMW 550i M Sport was a similar sales disaster which is why you can't get those over here now either.

Nem

Nem

Associate
Well that escalated quickly. Now my etron order is confirmed and I know 100% I'm getting it at the agreed silly price, I've been looking at a weekend toy. Don't think I'll keep it yonks, maybe 18-24 months. We'll see.

anyways. I've been looking at the following:

Audi Approved Used:

2015 '65 Audi TTS

I'd be looking at a Mk2 RS than a Mk3 S for a weekend toy. Probably around the same money £18 - £20k region.

Permabanned
Sorry, I was thinking of the S4 specifically there, my mistake. However this further highlights my point - the previous S6 was a pointless car. Why would anyone buy one? Massively powerful incredibly thirsty V8 - a true enthusiasts only car. So buy an RS6? Which everyone did - over the last few years of its production Audi seem to have sold hardly any S6 in the UK, the RS6 selling in far greater numbers (Quite a feat for something as niche as the RS6).

It was a pointless car and is now a much better and more appealing car as a 350bhp diesel. If you want a proper hot petrol Audi, you buy an RS.

I'm not being anti Audi - the BMW 550i M Sport was a similar sales disaster which is why you can't get those over here now either.

Cheaper point of entry than an RS6 equivalent and fairly trivial to most tuners to get to RS and beyond levels of performance would be my guess. That isn't to say that I believe any of that is a good idea (the RS6 doesn't have an S-tronic gearbox for a very good reason!) and in fact underlines your point as to why they stopped selling them: they sold hardly any and the few that did sell cannibalised RS6 sales.

Soldato
I am in the market for a new car and have been looking at the Audi A3 - 2.0 TDI (Preferably S tronic but will consider Manual too) but as this will be my first car without full manufactures warranty I am slightly apprehensive about going Diesel alone never mind S Tronic as well due to the potential of big bills if in the unfortunate event anything goes wrong.

The car I have seen is 2017/67 Plate with 42,000 Miles and Manual for just under £15,000.

Are there any common issues to be concerned about? my dad bangs on about how rubbish and unreliable VAG Diesel's are and i'm worried about a "I told you so" moment here.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Popped into Bathwick to get my tyre balance checked and came away needing 4 new tyres and 4 wheel alignment :(
Not what I was hoping for......

In fairness, having a four wheel alignment and new tyres made a night-and-day to my S5 when I had it. None of the wheels had kerb rash, but they were massively out of whack.

Right now the A/C in the RS6 is blowing really hot, which is not ideal. It's a 65 plate so I'm desperately hoping it's just a re-gas and not a leak.

Soldato
How did that happen??

Probably due to the winter and bad roads. Pot holes probably put my alignment out but I'm either on call most weekends, at my mrs or with my son so don't get much time to get the car in to get it checked. Only went in yesterday due to slight vibration when driving home Sunday. Offside rear has a nail in it (never knew as it never lost pressure), nearside rear has some wire poking out (god knows how) and front 2 are wearing on the inner edge (probably 12 months old).

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Oh damn :(

Glad it’s all fixed!

Found a nail in my rear right yesterday (finally put summer tyres on now that lock down has eased over here). Plugged it just to be sure.

Man of Honour
Right now the A/C in the RS6 is blowing really hot, which is not ideal. It's a 65 plate so I'm desperately hoping it's just a re-gas and not a leak

This seems a bit hopeful sadly - a car that new shouldn't need a regas. It's the same age as my 5 series and AC in that hasn't been touched since new. It was 17 years before the AC finally stopped going in my old one...

If I had to speculate, which given this is the internet I think I am obliged to do, I'd suggest there is damage to the condenser somewhere.

Permabanned
This seems a bit hopeful sadly - a car that new shouldn't need a regas. It's the same age as my 5 series and AC in that hasn't been touched since new. It was 17 years before the AC finally stopped going in my old one...

If I had to speculate, which given this is the internet I think I am obliged to do, I'd suggest there is damage to the condenser somewhere.

That did cross my mind! I did have to have an A/C recharge done on my Honda Civic around the 5-6 year mark, but then again it had never been done on the 14 year old 6 series I had and it worked perfectly.

I did request that they pressure test the system before attempting a recharge and they said that the system was holding pressure just fine. It's now blowing cold again for now, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Soldato
Hi everyone,

Damn my heads spinning with Audi today!!

Is this is a good deal?

2017 '67 Audi TTRS
1 Owner
11,400 miles

Catalyna Red
20" Black 7 Spoke Alloys
Black Styling Pack
Privacy Glass
Black Mirrors (think it's the black edition?)
B&O Sound System
Electric Mirrors
OLED Rear Lights
RS Sports Exhaust
Mag Ride
Carbon Inlays
Carbon Engine Bay

£5k deposit from me
£350 a month for 48 Months PCP

Last edited:
Soldato
so I'd expect that to be around the 35-37k mark so deposit and monthlies are not really relevant without knowing the balloon payment and interest rate.

£38k
7.7% APR
baloon is £24,866

Looking on the Audi used car site it seems a good deal compared to the others ones available, plus it's the only one I really like.

I'll run it for a couple of years and hand it back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously? You need to ask if that's a good deal?!

PCP rates on used cars are much higher than new. I contacted a few Audi dealerships and they started at 11% lol Most went down to 9%, one went to 8% and then this one at 7.7% but that was the lowest I could get.

If you can find me a car like that with another dealership who can beat that rate let me know.

This one (which isn't as good) is coming out at £450 a month

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...-all-wheel-drive-black-1_GBR005651004156.htm#

If I ordered a brand new one with no options, it's 6.2% and £680 a month

Back
Top Bottom