• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Its hard to get a proper baseline on pricing when prices jump around so much.

Here is quick compilation using pricespy, showing the 980ti, 1080ti and 2080ti. I've tried to line up the timelines by eye.

a7NBk1x.png

The 980ti was usually between £500 and £600 but there was a period in the middle where prices dropped as low as £3-400, in the second half of 2016. Then jumped back up to £500 at the start of 2017.

When the 1080ti was released it was initially around £700, then when the mining boom occurred in early 2018 they rose up to £800 and never dropped from there.

The 2080ti started at £1150 ish and has fluctuated between around £1100 and £1150 ever since.

What's most interesting to me here is not the 2080ti but the 1080ti. Oddly it was best value at launch and later offers/discounts were poor.

It looks like all the damage was done in that one year, from July 2017 through to Summer 2018.

The only card to display what might be expected is the 980ti. It started high, dropped a little after launch, then stayed level for a while, then started to fall in price just before the 10xx range came out.
All them graphs show the prices of GPU's increasing as they get near the end of there life :eek:

Soldato
I think we might not get raw rasterization performance parity between something like a 3070 vs a 2080ti but we might get the 3070 having better RT capabilities.

With the 3070 being some where between a 2080 Super and a 2080ti in rasterisation.

Meh... I don't think so. I'm hoping with this being a tick rather than a tock and being on a new node I am expecting Nvidia to disrupt the 2000 series considerably.

Soldato
I dont understand this whole restricting supply to keep prices high idea. I don't see how it makes them more money than trying to sell to the mass market.

Case 1 - top GPU for £600, everyone buys it, huge sales volumes, massive turnover, high user base big market share.
Case 2 - top GPU for £1200, only enthusiasts buy it, lesser model for £500 which more buy - less turnover than case 1, lower market share.

By restricting supply surely they are only hampering themselves and driving sales to lower product lines or competitors.

They should be flooding the market, making powerful GPUs as cheap as margins allow, and taking massive market share.

Probably a combination of reasons, but it helps set a precedent and price creep eventually becomes the new normal... on top of that it allows the lower end parts where margins are good and binning is comparatively easy to be priced more towards the high end than previously as they are compared to the top card - 70% of the performance but only 50% of the price, what a deal. never mind that the price is still £600.

Case 2 is really "top GPU for £1200, only enthusiasts buy it, lesser model for £600 which sells as many as case 1 anyway but you also get added brand credibility from the halo product and make some more money off your less price sensitive customers."

The only thing that fixes this is stiff competition.

Associate
there’s never any news. It’s always stone cold silence with the odd rumour of a delay to tempt the odd sucker then straight into a Semi paper launch.

Well fingers crossed they arrive this year, ive got the upgrade itch but i can hang on till these arrive just, my 1070 starting to struggle on a lot of recent releases at 1440p 60fps

It's like an Mexican stand off, who will make the first move lol.
My guess is they will both want to get their new cards out for or just after when Cyberpunk 2077 drops in September.
As that is the next major selling / upgrade opportunity really.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am interested in the 3080ti but sitting with a 1080ti it still powers through everything with no effort!! Guess I will have to weigh it up when it releases. Got to think they will want to get these out before the consoles do.

Associate
My GTX 1080 is 4 years old now so due the upgrade. Had AMD and Nvidia cards over the years so whichever comes in at a performance/price point that's acceptable will get my hard earned.

Associate
Haven't had a console since the original Xbox so I'd usually wouldn't consider that over a PC but if the gouge is strong with the next gen of cards it might be time to reconsider.

Soldato
Haven't had a console since the original Xbox so I'd usually wouldn't consider that over a PC but if the gouge is strong with the next gen of cards it might be time to reconsider.

If what you want is graphics fidelity then it may be the way to go. Even the current consoles in 4k or even upscaled do a great job and look great on a 4k OLED/qled.

God of war on even ps4 pro was one of the best games I’ve seen. All be it 30fps upscaled 4k but it does look really good.

Other recent games say rdr2 at 4k 60hz look insane on the pc with OLED but still consoles do a great job for the price.

That gap is only going to be seriously narrowed with next gen consoles that should be capable of 4k 60hz.

Associate
They should be flooding the market, making powerful GPUs as cheap as margins allow, and taking massive market share.

would be nice, but that doesn't grow revenue for the company and shareholders plus there is a limit to what can be produced. So if say you know you can get (for the sake of argument) 100k wafers per year what you print and how much you can charge becomes all important. What they really want to sell is as much data centre cards as they can and if push came to shove they'd stop producing consumer GPUs if they had to i.e production was hit by some major event

Back
Top Bottom