what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Hi all,
Definitely going over old ground but looking to jump on the band wagon and get a pair of the AKG K702, I want to use them on my PC but will also use them for casual gaming on my Xbox. Seen a lot of talk using modmic etc and I came across this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-wi...s-K271MKII-K271-K240-headphones-/201379940626 which I presume will do the job? that way its just one 3.5mm cable into the xbox controller. I can see that I could git a modmic then use a Y adapter but just trying to cut down on the bulk of two separate cables and this adapter hanging off the controller.

Then I just swap the cables over back to the normal one when using the headphones with my PC if I don't want the mic?

Cheers

Associate
Same as what I read / saw in videos. That and the Modmic 4 did not sound as good in tests, Modmic 4 or 5 were unavailable or EOL and the wireless one was more expensive and quality probably not as good

The wireless one is superb audio wise - found the quality via PS4 better than the latest Uni and the 5 that I tried. Sending mine back though as I've had enough of having to have multiple options for Xbox and PS4 and have decided to take an audio quality hit for simplicity. Besides, I don't care what I sound like to others lol

Soldato
Hi all,
Definitely going over old ground but looking to jump on the band wagon and get a pair of the AKG K702, I want to use them on my PC but will also use them for casual gaming on my Xbox. Seen a lot of talk using modmic etc and I came across this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-wi...s-K271MKII-K271-K240-headphones-/201379940626 which I presume will do the job? that way its just one 3.5mm cable into the xbox controller. I can see that I could git a modmic then use a Y adapter but just trying to cut down on the bulk of two separate cables and this adapter hanging off the controller.

Then I just swap the cables over back to the normal one when using the headphones with my PC if I don't want the mic?

Cheers

I don't know if you ended up getting the K702's.

I would have some concern of how well the Xbox controller can power them.

They are fairly demanding headphones, especially if you like loud volume. They require 4x as much power to reach the same volume as Sennheiser HD599 for example and the Xbox controller doesn't have much of a audio output. It's really there for easy to drive headsets.

It's likely the K702's will drain the controller battery quicker because they require more power.

Something like the HyperX Cloud Alpha, would be a better choice for connecting to Xbox controller. Easy to drive, so less drain on battery. Has microphone already, so easy one cable to connect.

To get real benefit from K702's, a Creative G6 is the best option.

Soldato
I don't know if you ended up getting the K702's.

I would have some concern of how well the Xbox controller can power them.

They are fairly demanding headphones, especially if you like loud volume. They require 4x as much power to reach the same volume as Sennheiser HD599 for example and the Xbox controller doesn't have much of a audio output. It's really there for easy to drive headsets.

It's likely the K702's will drain the controller battery quicker because they require more power.

Something like the HyperX Cloud Alpha, would be a better choice for connecting to Xbox controller. Easy to drive, so less drain on battery. Has microphone already, so easy one cable to connect.

To get real benefit from K702's, a Creative G6 is the best option.
I didn't end up getting them, sort of convinced myself I don't need any more headphones ha.

I agree though, did more reading and your right in that you have to use an amp to drive the KG702 at least. I could then just plug in an external mic into the controller to deal with the voice chat side of things.

Associate
received the adaptor and running well from D2X, though haven't received my extension cable so unable to test with O2 amp yet, hoping no grounding issues.

Very impressed so far.

Soldato
Well, after a lot of thinking, I decided to take the advice and try the modmic with my existing headphones to see if I liked it.

The modmic uni actually gives really clear audio, I tested recordings and it's much better than my other headsets/mics. It does pick up noise in the same room a bit more, but working from home I have a relatively quiet office so that's no issue.

I mounted it to the NS1000 set to try it out. Within 1 day of usage, the side of the headphones broke off, including the little plastic tabs. This was due to the force of the magnet holding the modmic on. Just to be clear, it's a reasonable and appropriate force, but the headphones are very old and brittle and possibly already partly broken, since the ANC switch hasn't felt 'right' for a while. I taped it back on and it's usable again and the ANC switch feels good again once it was back together. I guess there was something wrong. I recognise this is a temporary solution.

18tNKNq.jpg

The current setup is Modmic Uni & Goldring NS1000 > FiiO E5 (old) > Y (TRRS) splitter > either work laptop when taking calls, or MacBook Pro (mid 2014) when listening to music.

I just started a trial on Tidal and have been listening to some of the Master mixes. They sound great on this setup already. I don't think it's bitrate but maybe how they're mixed with a higher dynamic range and more space? Not sure.

However, I clearly need to replace the headphones. I can't decide which to get. I'm happy with the modmic, so plan to keep that. I'm not sure if I should go with open or closed back, since I have a quiet office but have never used open backs before. I would like a set I can use on calls (WebEx) but also then switch to my MBP for some high res music most of the time, and possibly also to my home theatre (Yamaha RX-V373) but not often.

I'm down to either:

Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880/DT990 (Probably 'Edition/Premium' versions for comfort)
Philips Fidelio X2HR

Possibly also a DAC/AMP to help these along? I don't plan to use on mobile, I figured I'd retire the NS1000s for that for a while until I can get some Wireless ANC headphones later on.

Any opinions on which would be best? I like Rock, Indie and enjoy listening to the bass track (play bass guitar).

EDIT: My Edifier R1600T's got into the background. Shout out for those - got them second hand here and they are really great for very little money. Don't use them much though, would prefer headphones whilst working.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was great when those R1600T's were still available. They'd often pop on sale for £50, which was a steal. Friend of mine has a pair. Anything since then doesn't get anywhere near to being the same value when on sale.

Shame your NS1000's snapped, but yes, they are/were brittle headphones, as were all Goldring's. I remember seeing many person say their DR150 headband had snapped, years ago. I've got some and mine have cracks. I rarely use them though. No idea how long they'd last if I still used them a lot. Like the R1600T speakers, they were fantastic value. Even thought they don't get much use, I'd be sad if they broke.

I think the above headphones you've mentioned would be good choices. I'd imagine the X2HR won't be around for too much longer though with the X3 due probably fairly soon.

Soldato
I ordered the X2HR, will share impressions soon.

They seem to be more well rounded, unlike the v-shaped Beyerdynamic options. They also have a 30ohm impedance, which means I have a bit more flexibility on using them without an amp, although an amp will be a nice option later perhaps. The X3s, looking at the spec will be closer to £300, so a bit too much.

Will share when they arrive.

Associate
For the last 4 years, Sennheiser Momentum 2 over-ear being used in both wired and wireless configuration. I have just received Sennheiser HD660S open backs and waiting for delivery of Fiio K5 Pro DAC and Amp. I use them for gaming, music and movies. The Momentum 2's were a great purchase. I remember trying them out in Richer Sounds, pairing them with my phone which supported AptX and playing Metallica - Enter Sandman in 24 bit, flac format. I had the biggest smile ever. Only issue with them is that your head can get rather sweaty around your ears when wearing them for long duration. The HD660S open-backs over come that problem. Very comfortable, great sound and cant wait for the amp.

Associate
Currently have Arctis wireless pro for gaming, but I’ve just ordered the X2HR with a v MODA boom mic. Hopefully this is a good upgrade from the Arctis.
Bose QC35 for travelling but looking to replace it with the momentum wireless 3 because the band snapped, but in no rush. Not travelling to work or anywhere else at the moment.

Question on X2HR, would I benefit using a dac/amp like the g6 or x3? Would be nice to have some sort of chatmix and able to connect to consoles but also output to my powered speakers when not using headphones.

This is all pretty new to me so have no idea what I’m getting myself into and will the first time experiencing a better headset outside the usual gaming stuff.

Soldato
I ordered the X2HR, will share impressions soon.

They seem to be more well rounded, unlike the v-shaped Beyerdynamic options. They also have a 30ohm impedance, which means I have a bit more flexibility on using them without an amp, although an amp will be a nice option later perhaps. The X3s, looking at the spec will be closer to £300, so a bit too much.

Will share when they arrive.

They arrived (X2HR), and I've been using them a bit now.

Things I like:
- They feel well-built and premium
- They look great
- The modmic attaches without the base, so no need to stick anything on
- The sound profile is fun - lots of bass and decent highs.
- They are very comfortable. Took a good amount of hours for them to loosen up, but now very nice.
- They come with a decent, long cable and are nicely packaged

Things I don't like:
- They do move around a bit if you move your head fast - YMMV
- Some my find certain mids a bit recessed (but overall very accurate)
- Despite the 30 ohm impedance, the sound quality varies a lot depending on what's driving - maybe not a con, but they certainly benefit from some amplification and a good source which some may assume is not the case with 30 ohm (I thought it may be...). So to tony888 - yes, you would benefit from an amp
- The ear pads attract dust, hair etc.
- The band can creak a bit when moving (but not often)
- However, the biggest issue I have is that the left driver sounds quieter than the right, particularly in lower frequencies. I thought it was me at first, but switching ears you can clearly hear it and now I know I can't un-hear it... Currently debating if I should send them back (probably should). This makes stereo imaging of central items move slightly to the right - pretty annoying.

Not sure now to return and try replacements or just try get money back. I like them other than the driver matching/QC problem they have. Shame.

Back
Top Bottom