I want to move my dell

Soldato
Hi all

I've recently got a Dell optiplex from a friend and will be putting a cheap GPU and SSD into it, However I want to move it into a MATX case but I've heard its not that simple as the power connector is a 5 pin...

Has anyone ever put one into a new case? I don't have any soldering equipment so can't mod it that simple :p

Cheers

Don
The issue is that modern Dell, HP and similar machines use higher efficiency power supplies - essentially by just having a 12volt rail for example the PSU can be more efficient, and any additional voltage requirements can be driven by regulators on the motherboard, sized for the intended loads (e.g. enough 5V for 1 or 2 hard drives and nothing more)

You would need something like this:
UpKHoOx.png

Soldato
OP
The issue is that modern Dell, HP and similar machines use higher efficiency power supplies - essentially by just having a 12volt rail for example the PSU can be more efficient, and any additional voltage requirements can be driven by regulators on the motherboard, sized for the intended loads (e.g. enough 5V for 1 or 2 hard drives and nothing more)

You would need something like this:
UpKHoOx.png

I see, cheers for that... How about the power switch on the case, apparently this needs modding somehow?

Associate
I see, cheers for that... How about the power switch on the case, apparently this needs modding somehow?
Have a look at what this guy in the Dell T20 thread did, it might be applicable to your situation: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30222101

Not sure how much trouble you want to go to though, it could be a classic case of "if I wanted to get there, I wouldn't start from here."

Back
Top Bottom