Draytek Vigor2860Ln reset

Associate
So I picked up a second hand 2860Ln and I can't log into the setup pages.
I can reach the login page fine, but it won't accept the default admin/admin password (I have reset the router)

I have tried soft reset = just hold the reset down
The 30 30 30 reset, hold reset 30 seconds, remove power for 30 seconds whilst still holding reset then applying power while still holding reset for 30seconds!

The router did the resetting dance of lights, but still wont let me in!
Tried the admin/admin admin/1234 admin/blank

If I try with no username/password it just says User mode is off now.
Anyone got any ideas?

Soldato
Its normally just a 10 second hold in on the reset pin hole. admin and admin is the default for drayteks.

If you keep the reset held and switch on it will put it into tftp mode which is just used when the firmware is corrupt.

Associate
OP
I have noticed that it is saying incorrect username/password for anything other than admin/admin.
So admin/admin is correct, it just doesn't log me in, just seems to refresh the login page.

Naturally tried every browser under the sun.

Soldato
What lights are flashing?

Although it sounds like it might be in TFTP mode, possibly due to reset/borked firmware, in which case you'll want to use the firmware utility (found here - https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/software) to do a firmware install/upgrade (instructions - https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-firmwareupgrade-utility).

When using the firmware utility, make sure you're connected to port 1 on the 2860 (Do Not Use WiFi for firmware updates) and given yourself a static IP of 192.168.1.10 (in that range any way, as the 2860 should be 192.168.1.1). Then it's select firmware and hit Send; firmware utility will let you know when the it's done.
Worth mentioning that there are typically two variants of firmware for Draytek's (sometimes additional for *DSL), .rst and .all files - .rst will return the Draytek to factory, .all will retain current setup. In this case you'll want to use the .rst (2860 found here - https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860).

And Draytek use a handful of credentials for their products, https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-defaultpassword, so you could try another set but as said, it sounds like the current firmware is borked.

Edit - Just to add, when you have set it up (and after any changes) as you want, take a backup (option in System settings). If you have problems again then you can factory reset and restore backup.

Associate
OP
ACT - WAN2 - DSL (but no phone line is plugged in) are flashing
WLAN is full green.

I have taken a cat cable from my sky router and plugged it into the WAN2 port, the sky router gave it an IP (192.168.0.48) which gives me the login page.
That's as far as i have gotten. I plan to use it as a 4G failover, but unsure if I can just take a cat cable from the sky router into WAN2 of the draytek to make all the dratek ports then have internet access, and then use the 4G failover to cover devices plugged into the draytek ports/on the drayteks wifi.

Soldato
If ACT is blinking then typically that suggests it's in TFTP mode, so you'll need to flash firmware to the device.

However, it sounds like you're attempting to access the 2860 via the WAN side and, iirc, remote WAN access is disabled by default.

Disconnect the WAN, connect port 1 (must be port 1) to a PC, assign a static IP on PC and take it from there - try and access the 2860 at 192.168.1.1 and/or flash firmware via the utility.

Note - By default, LAN ports are typically assigned to different subnets(/VLAN's); you can configure Draytek's to work like a more conventional router with a X port LAN switch but this needs to be configured.

Edit - Re. failover, simplest would be to double NAT and enable failover to the SIM but you could setup routes to bridge the WAN, removing the double NAT, and then in theory failover to the SIM - can't say i've tried this though in day-to-day use of Draytek's.
Although, i'm not sure why you wouldn't just replace your current Sky router with it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can connect to the drayteks wifi, and internet is flowing through it, so I think it is working OK and not in TFTP mode?

However! I will try the above and connect directly and not via the sky hub.

Associate
OP
If ACT is blinking then typically that suggests it's in TFTP mode, so you'll need to flash firmware to the device.

However, it sounds like you're attempting to access the 2860 via the WAN side and, iirc, remote WAN access is disabled by default.

Disconnect the WAN, connect port 1 (must be port 1) to a PC, assign a static IP on PC and take it from there - try and access the 2860 at 192.168.1.1 and/or flash firmware via the utility.

Note - By default, LAN ports are typically assigned to different subnets(/VLAN's); you can configure Draytek's to work like a more conventional router with a X port LAN switch but this needs to be configured.

And that allowed me in instantly :) Thank You
So is it possible to pump my sky internet into WAN2, and still enable access to log into the draytek router through the IP that sky router assigns it?

I'm guessing if I "enable internet access control" then specify an IP in the list at the bottom, but do I give it the IP that sky gives the draytek (192.168.0.48), or my actual live IP.

It's confusing, as it's still on my LAN, Im not trying to access it remotely, so don't want to accidentally leave a door open that doesn't need to be.

Soldato
So is it possible to pump my sky internet into WAN2, and still enable access to log into the draytek router through the IP that sky router assigns it?

I'm guessing if I "enable internet access control" then specify an IP in the list at the bottom, but do I give it the IP that sky gives the draytek (192.168.0.48), or my actual live IP.

Exactly that - Enable Internet Access Control for HTTP/HTTPS (wouldn't worry about the rest) and you should be able to access via the IP address issued via the Sky router, ie - from the (Draytek's) WAN side. From (Draytek's) LAN side you'd use the router/gateway address.

For added ease, setup the (Draytek) WAN with a static address (192.168.0.48 or something in the Sky's DHCP range) and treat the Sky router as a typical gateway.

Obviously you'll be double NAT'ing but they are ways around that if need be.

Associate
OP
Thanks @tribz and @visibleman - all setup and working beautifully now.
The 4G failover is working flawlessly, the thing has so many options it's kinda crazy, so I won't touch what I don't need.

a lot of grunt for £89 - not sure if I should attempt to run the main Sky ADSL line through it, but if I tried, would much need changing?
draytekvdsl.jpg

Associate
OP
Credit to the guys that do this for a living, I assumed 4G failover was working, as it would kick in when I pulled the cat cable out that feeds it internet.
But actually kill the internet and it did't kick in 4G

Turn out the WAN connection was using ARP detect to see if it was online, switching it to ping detect and it fires up 4G when the line drops.

Just wondering, whats a good ping interval and retry times setting for 8.8.8.8?

Back
Top Bottom