Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I run with a phone in one hand and car keys in the other so not all bad but pretty sure I'll have to start considering water soon when it starts getting closer to 20C.

Just had the Ultraboost 19 delivered, comfy as hell although not the biggest sizing as feeling almost little too tight and definitely less space than the Brooks. Can't get them this cheap if I return them but think I'll consider size 12 next time.

Soldato
I woke up this morning to an email from Nike saying the VaporFly Next % are in stock.

I caved. I already had some money set aside for some new trainers, so I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about.

Anyone else have them?

Hopefully I've got the size right! Normally I hate ordering like this off the web, but there really isn't much choice at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
I think someone on here has them, can't remember who though. I debate them but i keep reading they only expect to last around 100 miles and not sure i can stomach that.

Plus feels like once you go back to a normal shoe you'll be filled with disappointment at how slow you are!

Soldato
Tried to run three times in the morning this week.

Mon: Blergh... Didn't manage to wake up at 05:30
Tue: Blergh... Woke up and then fell back to sleep at 05:30
Wed: Woke up and then lay there pondering running :)

I reckon by the end of the week I may actually get myself out of the door. Just not feeling it at the moment though.

I had similar this morning, I intended to go this morning for a 8ish miler, i filled my water bottle with caffeine drink. Woke up at half 5 feeling awake, thought great anther hour sleep, my alarm woke me up at half 6 and i felt like crap so turned it off and went back to sleep.

Went out in my lunch break with the intention to do 5ish instead, set off and felt fairly good, so decided to finally do a hill rep session. I've talked about it for ages, especially in this thread and never actually done it.

There's a decent hill around 0.8miles away that i've always planned to use. I decided on 10 reps. Although after 5 i cut the length as think it would've pushed me a bit much and i didn't want to tire myself out too much ahead of a longer run tomorrow.

Looking at the graphs it seems like a pretty ideal map. My HR recovers nicely on the downhill. If anything cutting the length was decent as it gives less recovery time.

The long sections give around 60ft of ascent over 0.15 miles and the shorter sections just under half that.

wEqpSAN.png

Think i'm going to try and add this in once a week. What's the best way to advance it? The hill does continue a bit further although it levels off a little. So i could either:-

1. Increase distance of each rep
2. Increase number of reps
3. Increase pace on the incline.

Soldato
Well I got bored of doing 5k so decided to treat myself for my first run at ripe age of 33 and finished a 10k in 58:45, must be all that birthday cake I ate :D

Honestly surprised myself, basically just wanted to see how long I could run for without concentrating on speed and probably could have done a little more but felt like a good point to stop on.

Definitely feel good about doing 10 mile race in September now.

Soldato
Woohoo. Managed to get my 10 miles in. Furthest I’ve ran for about 2 months and felt great to be out for a longish run.

Legs still a little achey from hill reps Friday, then a walk up a local hill yesterday followed by a few miles on my paddleboard. They feel heavy now I’ve finally settled on the sofa so be interesting to see how they are tomorrow.

First week in a while I’ve done over 20 miles too so hoping to carry on building on that.

Have set myself a target of running the Guild Wheel by the end of June. It’s a 22 mile circular route around Preston. Should be doable. Just need to keep working on my long runs.

Soldato
I've started running during lockdown as I figured it's some cardio I can do without breaking the bank.

I'm really bad at it. I consider myself in reasonably good shape (BJJ for 10+ years, gym 3 times a week up until lockdown started of course) but running is just such a struggle for me. My absolute best 5k is 28.5 mins and the first .5-.7k of that is downhill. I then have crazy out of shape friends running 10k in 57 mins and I just don't know how I'm so bad at it.

To get to 5k for me is a massive struggle (I've tried and failed a few times) and I'm exhausted from about .7k onwards with anything under 6min per k. Is this normal?? Anything I can do or just keep going?

Associate
Any recommendations on where to buy shoes nowadays? I'm sure I've seen some places that offer trials of new shoes which is what I'm after as its not much use trying shoes around the house only to find out after a run that they're not going to be good.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
You need a proper running shop for your first pair..... Good luck with that in the current climate though.

Brooks
On Cloud

Good websites direct from the manufacturer. Personally i wear Brooks they just fit my feet very well and just happen to be on sensible scale of running shoes in terms of costs these days.

Associate
I've started running during lockdown as I figured it's some cardio I can do without breaking the bank.

I'm really bad at it. I consider myself in reasonably good shape (BJJ for 10+ years, gym 3 times a week up until lockdown started of course) but running is just such a struggle for me. My absolute best 5k is 28.5 mins and the first .5-.7k of that is downhill. I then have crazy out of shape friends running 10k in 57 mins and I just don't know how I'm so bad at it.

To get to 5k for me is a massive struggle (I've tried and failed a few times) and I'm exhausted from about .7k onwards with anything under 6min per k. Is this normal?? Anything I can do or just keep going?

Go slower :)

Keep going, but don't push so hard straight off. If you have a HRM then keep an eye on it. Have a read through posts by @D.P. in here, they do a really good job explaining why.

Associate
You need a proper running shop for your first pair..... Good luck with that in the current climate though.

Brooks
On Cloud

Good websites direct from the manufacturer. Personally i wear Brooks they just fit my feet very well and just happen to be on sensible scale of running shoes in terms of costs these days.

Everyone seems to rate Brooks. I will have to take a look at what they offer. I normally use Asics or Nike, but thats is purely due to me being a cheapskate and buying them from Cheshire Oaks or similar :)

Soldato
Go slower :)

Keep going, but don't push so hard straight off. If you have a HRM then keep an eye on it. Have a read through posts by @D.P. in here, they do a really good job explaining why.

I think that might be my problem. I'm trying to run before I can walk (so to speak). Got just under 28 mins today but it honestly half killed me. I do have a HRM (Garmin vivoactive) and my heart rate is always nice and high when I'm running.

I figured the way to improve my 5k time is to keep just pushing it or is there a more sensible way?

Associate

Brooks
On Cloud

Won't be my first pair. Have worn brooks in the past for trail and Adidas supernova sequence for road stuff. The adidas ones have changed a lot since I bought my pair 4 years ago.

I'm sure I've seen some site offering to accept returns even on shoes that have been worn outside, I just can't recall where I saw it

Caporegime
I think that might be my problem. I'm trying to run before I can walk (so to speak). Got just under 28 mins today but it honestly half killed me. I do have a HRM (Garmin vivoactive) and my heart rate is always nice and high when I'm running.

I figured the way to improve my 5k time is to keep just pushing it or is there a more sensible way?

The sensible way is basically to do the exact opposite and forget about a fast 5k time while you train. Your runs should be easy and enjoyable at this stage. Over time you can start adding some faster runs, but you are better off doing things like fartleks, hill repeats and intervals than simply running 5km. After a few months take a fee days off running and then go and time a 5km. Maybe a park run by then.

speed in running comes from a large volume of easy aerobic running. Injuries come from trying to race every run.

Build volume, be patient. Many of the required changes will take 6 months to appear. Doing too much soon risks injury and burnout.

Back
Top Bottom