*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Thanks for clearing that up. Think the 8-150w seems the best for future proofing.

Future-proof is generally a great way of saying not Future-proof. The US-8-60W isn't an expensive switch (£110-ish) and the US-8-150W is almost double the price (£200-ish).

So you could buy 2 US-8-60W and get more ports for roughly the same money later and less money now. Or, you could just bite the bullet and buy a US-16-150W.

In my experience it's better to buy for what you want today. Then, if you need to upgrade, it's really easy to sell your old Unifi parts and buy a newer, bigger/faster/shinier, one.

Plus the US-8-150W is the one everyone says is the least reliable of all the Unifi switches....

Soldato
isn't that the only switch they say not to stack either due to risk of fire? apparently it gets a bit warm.

was looking at the ES version until I realised it wasnt rack-able so started looking at the ES-10xp instead.

Soldato
isn't that the only switch they say not to stack either due to risk of fire? apparently it gets a bit warm.

was looking at the ES version until I realised it wasnt rack-able so started looking at the ES-10xp instead.
Plenty of brackets for rack mounting it.

So what are the alternatives don't like the idea of anything getting really hot.
Might have to look at a different manufacturer for the POE switch then.

Soldato
US-8-60W is excellent, can be rack mounted with a bracket and doesn't get hot because it has a separate power supply. The US-16-150W is an excellent switch and although it has fans, I've never heard them kick in on any that I've fitted (and I've installed over 100 of them) and the new Gen2 has the uprated blower fan cooling although you only get 8 of the 16 ports with PoE and it only does 48V PoE where the US-16-150W does both 24V and 48V PoE.

Soldato
3rd party 3D printed generally. go on the UI forums, loads of threads about it and UI advising not to stack/rack due to possible overheating.
Just been reading about the heat. Completely put me off then now.
Netgear do a 123w 8 port for £107. Comes with rack mount brackets as well.

Soldato
And have you researched those as well? There isn't any issue with the Unifi switches. But if you'd rather buy an incompatible Netgear, then be my guest.
Why would it be incompatible. I thought to power the nanohd it just needed to be 802.3af is that not correct?

Associate
Only a small sample admittedly, but I started out with a couple of US-8-150W switches 2.5 years ago and they're still in service almost full with external cameras / SFP connections and they've been fine (I use my newer larger switches for indoor connections). They are stacked, albeit with 1cm spacer feet, at the top of my cabinet but I do have good cooling flow through the cabinet and across the shelf they're on as the cabinet is in a cupboard so air temps are high.

Although I agree some people worry too much over temps I found the US-8-150W very hot in this location before I improved airflow, both from its temp sensors and a check with a thermal camera which showed some serious hot spots. This does make me wonder if some failures are over heating related due to poor airflow/location.

Associate
I'm after some quick guidance please.

I want to replace an old Asus router (Virgin's Superhub gives awful wifi in some areas of the house and the Asus seems to be dying a slow death, is long overdue an upgrade anyway and gives me only one ethernet option in my office when I could do with two) and I can't decide between two different Ubiquiti solutions.

The first is 2 x Amplifi HD routers (wired backhaul into my office upstairs) which I arrived at based on reviews stating the wifi connectivity (for my phone, smart TVs etc.) is very stable. The second option is a UDM downstairs connected via ethernet to a USW Flex Mini in my office upstairs. The benefit of the Amplifi HD routers is a wifi source on both floors and the fact I could get it working and leave it alone but the UDM solution, for a bit more money, obviously provides more options and control. I'm not looking to create some sort of elaborate network in the future and don't want to have to deal with regular issues given the sheer number of complaints I'll get from others in the house! Can anyone help me to make a final decision?

Soldato
Amplifi is a dead-end product in the Ubiquiti product range. If you want Amplifi, at least get the Alien.

An alternative to what you suggest is a Unifi Dream Machine Upstairs, connected to a USW Flex Mini or US-8 downstairs. The additional height on the UDM will give you significantly improved coverage over having it downstairs. Bear in mind it's a 360-coverage unit and the higher and more central it is, the better the coverage.

A further option (given the cost of the UDM) is a simple router (maybe even your ISP router) with a Unifi PoE switch (US-8-60W) downstairs and a UAP-IW-HD in-wall replacing your ethernet socket upstairs. That gives you a very good 4x4 Wave2 access point and 4 1GbE connections (one of which is itself PoE). Downstairs, it you felt the need, you could add either another UAP-IW-HD or a UAP-FlexHD. That gives you much better WLAN and coverage, in core Unifi products that wil be supported for several years yet.

Soldato
No reason why A Netgear switch wouldn't work as long as it's chucking out 802.3af.

Agreed. And corrected for emphasis. It's incredible that someone will take fright at the sight of one or two threads on the Unifi Community Forums that are dominated by people who wait 2-4 years then post once or twice with an unverified claim about a switch failing, then are never heard from again. And that same someone will run straight to another vendor, do absolutely zero research on a product but just assume it must be fine.

Soldato
I think its still missing the 1.6.7 fixes.

UBNT was started by Robert Pera to be the Apple Inc. of networking. Hence the gorgeous packaging and the 'it all just works together beautifully' simplicity of the original Unifi ecosystem. And I'm just sat here looking at the various items in my home office 'sandbox' cabinet and I'm thinking WTF? FIVE YEARS after I first got my hands on a Unifi Security Gateway, the original USG line-up still can't do Multi-WAN in the GUI and the new ones can't do Multi-WAN at all. The switches are fine, but the long-promised L3 functionality is still long-promised and the Access Points are fine but there is no 802.11ax product, possibly because it would kill off the UAP-XG and the clever stuff like the WIDS/WIPS on the AP-AC-SHD is also on the long-promised list. And I'm still on here every day, suggesting that people buy this stuff. Seriously, how crap/hard to use must everything else be that I'm still recommending this?

Associate
Amplifi is a dead-end product in the Ubiquiti product range. If you want Amplifi, at least get the Alien.

An alternative to what you suggest is a Unifi Dream Machine Upstairs, connected to a USW Flex Mini or US-8 downstairs. The additional height on the UDM will give you significantly improved coverage over having it downstairs. Bear in mind it's a 360-coverage unit and the higher and more central it is, the better the coverage.

A further option (given the cost of the UDM) is a simple router (maybe even your ISP router) with a Unifi PoE switch (US-8-60W) downstairs and a UAP-IW-HD in-wall replacing your ethernet socket upstairs. That gives you a very good 4x4 Wave2 access point and 4 1GbE connections (one of which is itself PoE). Downstairs, it you felt the need, you could add either another UAP-IW-HD or a UAP-FlexHD. That gives you much better WLAN and coverage, in core Unifi products that wil be supported for several years yet.

Thank you very much, I'll go looking further into those options.

Soldato
UBNT was started by Robert Pera to be the Apple Inc. of networking. Hence the gorgeous packaging and the 'it all just works together beautifully' simplicity of the original Unifi ecosystem. And I'm just sat here looking at the various items in my home office 'sandbox' cabinet and I'm thinking WTF? FIVE YEARS after I first got my hands on a Unifi Security Gateway, the original USG line-up still can't do Multi-WAN in the GUI and the new ones can't do Multi-WAN at all. The switches are fine, but the long-promised L3 functionality is still long-promised and the Access Points are fine but there is no 802.11ax product, possibly because it would kill off the UAP-XG and the clever stuff like the WIDS/WIPS on the AP-AC-SHD is also on the long-promised list. And I'm still on here every day, suggesting that people buy this stuff. Seriously, how crap/hard to use must everything else be that I'm still recommending this?
I'm new to UBNT stuff, I've had the AP LR for just less than a year and the UDM less than a week. So far i'm finding out that their firmware releases for the UDM are awful and their stable releases are actually more like beta. I have no idea if something is a bug or if i have configured it wrong.

I've always stayed clear of Apple products as I've never seen the value in them. Seeing how bad iTunes was/still is i think that scared me enough :D

Back
Top Bottom