Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Virgin playing up again this morning, they really need to sort this out.

I had an outage for 5-10 minutes around 2.30pm yesterday, can't be coincidence every time I check out "is my service down" or "downdetector" when this happens there is huge spike of reports.

Wonder what keeps causing these short outages, mine was likely isolated to an area. But it seems like VM is unstable of late and certain areas network comes under strain at various times.

Soldato
Tried to cancel through their text service, but no dice. Just got through to their call centre and cancelled - They offered me the exact same offers as before. She said to call back 2 weeks into my cancellation period and ask if there are any further discounts available, as she said it is likely they could offer something better...

We shall see... for the time being, I’m now on my 30 days cancellation period.

Associate
I’m on a 350MB connection and at best getting 40MB downloads on firefox browser and when using DAP download accelerator on chrome or IE at best it is doing 8MB downloading from usenet. I’ve checked the upstream and downstream settings on the router and on speedtest it reports over 370MB connection.

I think therefore that my connection to the websites and usenet is being throttled. I’m a bit of noob when it comes to VPN software but would it advisable to use one when downloading GB’s of data from a single source?

Soldato
For starters you need to understand that 350Mbit/s is not the same as 350MB/s, allowing for overheads you’re looking at just over 40MB/s which is exactly what you say you get, so no, it really doesn’t appear VM are throttling your connection.

Usenet is a different beast. How are you connected to the router? Which usenet provider, how many connections, what’s the system spec including drives, are you pausing for post processing/repair, have you tried alternate ports (please tell me you’re using SSL), have you confirmed how fast your provider actually offers (some are fixed speed) and why in a world where ‘Get and SAB dominate the client usage are you not using them?

Last edited:
Associate
I've notice Usenet being a lot slower recently; also on the 350Mbps package. Before COVID-19 (about 10 months worth of experience) usenet would always saturate my connection. Now it struggles past 10MB/sec (circa 85Mbps raw); number of connections, destination doesn't seem to alter this.

I wouldn't be suprised if VM are applying policies based on traffic; I'm 99% confident the issue is north of my modem.

Permabanned
I've notice Usenet being a lot slower recently; also on the 350Mbps package. Before COVID-19 (about 10 months worth of experience) usenet would always saturate my connection. Now it struggles past 10MB/sec (circa 85Mbps raw); number of connections, destination doesn't seem to alter this.

I wouldn't be suprised if VM are applying policies based on traffic; I'm 99% confident the issue is north of my modem.

Cant say I have noticed any issues with Usenet.

O68RAUR.png

Soldato
Anyone running pfsense with an SH3 in modem mode? Seems to be a recurring theme of ping spikes and packet loss since February's firmware update:

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,24600.45.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/VirginMedia/comments/ghxrq9/modem_mode_pfsense_latency_spikes/

Yes. Spent days messing about trying to find a solution.

No solution is available unless your in a SH4 area. Senior engineer said it’s the SH3 and he has solved it for others by using a 2/AC, a 4 or getting the customer to go to a business account and hence router.

Ive now signed up for FTTP as VM have agreed to terminate my contract early and I cannot wait to leave VM behind.

SH3 was a bodge from day 1, if FTTP had been available sooner I’d have jumped ship way before re-signing with VM.

Soldato
Anyone else having having issues with their connection speed the last few days? Im on 350mb. Speedtest normally reports 386mb but last few days its only been between 10 and 35mb.
Was justing trying to download on steam but it was only going at 2.5mb/s, I normally get 48mb/s.
Virgin Media's service status doesn't report any connection issues in my area....

Soldato
So, they replied to my letter of complaint. Result!? Not quite. The reply was a generic letter not addressing anything I said, infact it lies about how they've been 'trying to contact me but been unsuccessful'. It then advises me to text a number and then someone will look into my complaint. I text the number and realise there are tons of prior messages back and forth already to this number, infact, it was because of how incompetent they were there and on the phone that forced me to write a letter in the first place!?! So, next step?

Oh and a few hours later someone replied to my message yet again, after giving all my details and him reading what little notes there are on their system, he says it's the wrong dept lol. I'm truly astounded by this company. This is on a whole new level for me.

Soldato
Cant say I have noticed any issues with Usenet.

O68RAUR.png

Nope, mines pretty happy as well :)

y4mnYGakVoPb9-wqhX-E5dx6b0rFkNBXDL5mNBbn8x6DfsdKgIdsz8TV7g9GSRyP71JAc-fIKKt5zZyJsio6_NnHKzECcemwBe_ud6vOOUU_rP9uU8RP-0vXRiOJ1APaENBi2PG0j2enNVaNfCN7zsGqXwrKwDs-nZBIASO8RL1jRQps4uR3loUhtHx32d58S_bBR7qJqUJBFevwuKq_nZFVQ

Last edited:
So, they replied to my letter of complaint. Result!? Not quite. The reply was a generic letter not addressing anything I said, infact it lies about how they've been 'trying to contact me but been unsuccessful'. It then advises me to text a number and then someone will look into my complaint. I text the number and realise there are tons of prior messages back and forth already to this number, infact, it was because of how incompetent they were there and on the phone that forced me to write a letter in the first place!?! So, next step?

Oh and a few hours later someone replied to my message yet again, after giving all my details and him reading what little notes there are on their system, he says it's the wrong dept lol. I'm truly astounded by this company. This is on a whole new level for me.

Yep, they are on the whole useless if you need assistance. If everything works for you, and you're in an area that's not heavily contended then great. If you need something, or something needs fixing outside of the quick fix/router restart/engineer out to swap your tap in the green cab then forget it.

Plusnet goes in next week, and even though it's considerably slower I'm really looking forward to not giving Virgin Media any more money. Ever.

Soldato

Same here.

Really hoping my FTTP is installed sooner than 2 months time..!

Associate
Question for you guys. Currently have FTTC with BT (68Mbps downloads). When I check the Virgin Media website for my address, apparently I can sign up for the 350Mbps package. How is it that they can offer approx 5x the speed of BT over what is essentially the same line?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Question for you guys. Currently have FTTC with BT (68Mbps downloads). When I check the Virgin Media website for my address, apparently I can sign up for the 350Mbps package. How is it that they can offer approx 5x the speed of BT over what is essentially the same line?
It is not the same line I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom