Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I’ve never felt a need for more than 3ah batteries in my makita impact driver, I’ve ran the battery flat but by then I’m ready for a break while it recharges anyway!

Soldato
That DeWalt set is the same price as the 5.0ah Milwaukee twin set I just bought from Screwfix. I just upgraded from a Titan twin set that I've had for years and did my kitchen and studio cabin with. Just found out that the 1.5ah batteries no longer hold charge past about 10 mins so treated myself. Wow, the Milwaukee set is seriously powerful compared to my Titan set. Admittedly, the Titan set was about £70 5+ years.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwauke...ess-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/229hv
Brushless + Li-ion makes a huge difference. I wish this tech would have been around 15 years or so ago when I started working, it would have made my life so much easier than messing around with Nicad tools.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I don't own any of the 2ah Dewalt batteries only 4 & 5's which are the same dimensions but different weight and I find even the 5ah's are well balanced on the 796 and 996, the twin pack of 2ah batteries occasionally pop up on Amazon for silly prices and I've been meaning to get them solely for the slimmer profile and squeezing into awkward spots.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend the best tool to cut a stainless steel kitchen extractor hood chimney extension section for a slopped ceiling . Its still has the plastic protection on I so was think jigsaw and mine metal blade ?

Soldato
I assume it’s just thin stainless steal?

I can’t see why that wouldn’t work, you might need to file off any burs but it should be fine. I imagine the hardest part will be working out how to clamp/brace it for cutting. Take your time, definitely leave the protection film on, might be prudent to add some extra masking tape where the jigsaw will run over as a backup against scratching.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend the best tool to cut a stainless steel kitchen extractor hood chimney extension section for a slopped ceiling . Its still has the plastic protection on I so was think jigsaw and mine metal blade ?

I'd put masking tape along the cut then use a junior hack saw with a new blade.

But if I owned a grinder I would use that instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a dewalt multi tool, I don’t think that would be suitable, it essentially vibrates the blades like a big electric toothbrush.

A rotary multi tool(dremil or equivalent) would be better with a cutting disk on it. Essentially a mini angle grinder.

As others have said, hacksaw will do the job too.

I assume your trying to cut that is essentially a U shaped piece of metal? Do you not have anything you can sacrifice and clamp to to the inside to stabilise it and cut through? Piece of thin timber/ply/mdf?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Grinder with a very thin blade according to my industrial kitchen fitter mate with a block of wood to stop it from flexing.

Soldato
Looking for a leaf blower, electric corded preferably. Doesn't need a vacuum mode but I do want something decent that will actually move leaves and what not. Around the £100 mark as a guide price. Any recommendations?

Soldato
Looking for a leaf blower, electric corded preferably. Doesn't need a vacuum mode but I do want something decent that will actually move leaves and what not. Around the £100 mark as a guide price. Any recommendations?

Do you own any cordless tools? Or do you plan to? Might be worth looking what brands offer then you can keep the batteries for multiple tools.

Dewalt are always decent.

Soldato
Do you own any cordless tools? Or do you plan to? Might be worth looking what brands offer then you can keep the batteries for multiple tools.

Dewalt are always decent.
I don't own any "ecosystem" yet but I have spent the last hour or so looking at Ryobi and their offerings. The OBL1820S seems well reviewed. Comes in around £160 with a charger and 5ah battery.

Soldato
I don't own any "ecosystem" yet but I have spent the last hour or so looking at Ryobi and their offerings. The OBL1820S seems well reviewed. Comes in around £160 with a charger and 5ah battery.

Yeah it's worth getting into the whole ecosystem idea because it does help. You can however buy battery converters to use ryobi on dewalt and vice versa.

I own a petrol ryobi lawnmower and its been good for 5 years now.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom