Ring doorbell V2 can't find WiFi network

Soldato
Hi all,

Last week i upgraded to the gigabit package from Virgin Media and with that they gave me the new SH4.

When i had the SH3, i had no issues finding the WiFi network with the ring but now it won't find it on the SH4.

My phone and tablet find the WiFi network with no issues.

I have tried enabling Wifi band 2.4 as that's the only band the ring doorbell can connect to, no luck.

I have tried setting up a private network which my phone and tablet both found but again the ring doorbell can't see it.

I'm waiting on a response from Ring about the issue, wondering if anyone else has had the same issues?

Associate
I've recently had the 'joy' of setting up my Ring Doorbell Pro with Sky Broadband. Took a lot of messing about and tweaking. Although not the same I'll share everything I did to get it to work, in order:

- Separate and name differently the 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz wifi networks of the router (Sky couples everything by default including the SSID, VM may be the same). I believe if your device can only use 2.4 the 5.0 confuses it (the Pro uses 5.0 but the chime only uses 2.4, go figure). This is big pain as all other wireless devices in your home will need changing!
- Change the channel of the 2.4Ghz network on your router to 6.
- If you're using an iPhone try disabling mobile data while you're setting it up.
- I held the button on the doorbell down for about 10 - 15 seconds to give it a reset.
- When setting devices up, scan the barcode on each device rather than telling the app what you have from the list.

Hope this helps!

Now that it's up and running it's really good, quite impressed.

Soldato
Hi all,

Last week i upgraded to the gigabit package from Virgin Media and with that they gave me the new SH4.

When i had the SH3, i had no issues finding the WiFi network with the ring but now it won't find it on the SH4.

My phone and tablet find the WiFi network with no issues.

I have tried enabling Wifi band 2.4 as that's the only band the ring doorbell can connect to, no luck.

I have tried setting up a private network which my phone and tablet both found but again the ring doorbell can't see it.

I'm waiting on a response from Ring about the issue, wondering if anyone else has had the same issues?

Virgin Media will provide you with free wifi boosters that you just plug into a wall socket, just give them a call.

See here: https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-...s/order-virgin-media-intelligent-wifi-booster

Soldato
OP
I don't know about the SH4 specifically, but temporarily disabling 5GHz is often necessary to get ITO devices to connect.
Tried that with no luck. :(

I've recently had the 'joy' of setting up my Ring Doorbell Pro with Sky Broadband. Took a lot of messing about and tweaking. Although not the same I'll share everything I did to get it to work, in order:

- Separate and name differently the 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz wifi networks of the router (Sky couples everything by default including the SSID, VM may be the same). I believe if your device can only use 2.4 the 5.0 confuses it (the Pro uses 5.0 but the chime only uses 2.4, go figure). This is big pain as all other wireless devices in your home will need changing!
- Change the channel of the 2.4Ghz network on your router to 6.
- If you're using an iPhone try disabling mobile data while you're setting it up.
- I held the button on the doorbell down for about 10 - 15 seconds to give it a reset.
- When setting devices up, scan the barcode on each device rather than telling the app what you have from the list.

Hope this helps!

Now that it's up and running it's really good, quite impressed.
Tried all of that apart from changing the channel to 6, I’ll try that. :)

Virgin Media will provide you with free wifi boosters that you just plug into a wall socket, just give them a call.

See here: https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-...s/order-virgin-media-intelligent-wifi-booster
Nothing to do with WiFi signal, something is stopping the ring doorbell seeing the WiFi completely.

Soldato

Nothing to do with WiFi signal, something is stopping the ring doorbell seeing the WiFi completely.
Did you make sure to try and turn your phone's data connection off while you were trying to connect it?

I've set up 5 Ring Doorbells (pros) and I've had to do this a few times, otherwise it wouldn't connect at all.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

Some wifi devices can't connect or see SSIDs operating on the 40MHz or above frequency width. In the wifi settings on the router check to see what it is using and set the 2.4GHz band to 20MHz if it's set to auto. Leave the 5GHz band on 40 or 80 or auto.

Caporegime

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the best ones to use as they are non overlapping. I had issues with a smart bulb connecting and I had to set it up next to the router then it behaved itself in its install location.

Separate SSIDs for both bands as well, if you haven't tried that already.

Associate
I had the same issue with a wifi disc using both 2.4/5ghz but could not separate them.

Ring are aware of the issue and if you call them they may (was a while back now) send you a free chime that acts as a repeater for the doorbell.. since adding that had no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom