Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
I’ve had the artisan natural super king for a couple of years now, and it’s still one of the best things I’ve ever bought. Incredibly comfy and supportive. When it does eventually wear out in 10 years or so, I’ll be buying something even more expensive from John Ryan. Really impressed with their service, built our bed and took all the packaging away very quickly.

At 75kg and being massive it’s a real beast to flip and move around, so I hope you and your partner are strong!

Caporegime
after spending about 3 months on out new superking bed with our old kingsized mattress I've finally got around to pulling the trigger on a John Ryan Artisan Naturals. Can't wait for it to turn up, shame that its going to take a month or so for it to arrive..

I'm so glad I went with JR and not one of these hybrid jobs. It's unreal comfy and I went with the cheaper one.

Soldato
At 75kg and being massive it’s a real beast to flip and move around, so I hope you and your partner are strong!

Ha, we have the same one and you can really tell the difference trying to turn it over vs a king size. It's like a military operation getting it flipped and turned every month. :p

Soldato
For those that have a John Ryan mattress... worth the wait? I ordered mine via clearance (partly for speed) a few weeks ago, but with obvious current circumstances things are delayed and likely to be delayed i'd imagine another 4-6 weeks. Do I keep the order (Origins Pocket 1500) or go elsewhere? Currently without a mattress at my new place, so trying to decide :p

Soldato
For those that have a John Ryan mattress... worth the wait? I ordered mine via clearance (partly for speed) a few weeks ago, but with obvious current circumstances things are delayed and likely to be delayed i'd imagine another 4-6 weeks. Do I keep the order (Origins Pocket 1500) or go elsewhere? Currently without a mattress at my new place, so trying to decide :p
Have you tried ringing them? They were really helpful for us and yes definitely worth waiting for if you can

Soldato

Yup, we've got three of theirs as have a few friends following our recommendations.

Associate
How many years are people getting out of their JR or other high end mattresses before they noticeably soften? Then how long more before they noticeably hold a sag following flipping & a few nights use?

They are seriously pricey compared to my current, superbly comfortable & firm Shire Bed Co mattresses and at 3x the price for what I expect to be similarly firm, I'd be extremely reluctant without getting significant increase in longevity.

Soldato
They are seriously pricey compared to my current, superbly comfortable & firm Shire Bed Co mattresses and at 3x the price for what I expect to be similarly firm, I'd be extremely reluctant without getting significant increase in longevity.
thy don't appear to sell directly like JR, so someone else takes a cut,
but looking at their kensington pocket
https://www.archerssleepcentre.co.uk/Shire-Kensington-Pocket-2000-5ft-King-Size-Mattress-p10524.html £540
not sure it's a 3x price ratio at jr , maybe 20% more ?
versus https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/origins-pocket-1500/ ?

john ryan are a bit clearer about what layers/materials the bed is made from

Associate
Thanks, I'd not spotted that they do a cheaper 2k spring with a firm feeling. I was looking at the £1800 stuff as that is what they describe as their firmer ones.
They are certainly not as transparent as JR but materials are mentioned.

Whilst someone else takes a cut, unless you can see the margins JR are making, it's no guarantee of value.

Any feedback on longevity?
Only found posts talking about a year on etc.

Caporegime

The best mattress I've slept on. Had mine a year now, it's fantastic. Glad I choose it over a memory foam thing. It's too good.

Soldato
I'm on 6 years with a JR Origins 1500. The springs are all still fine. The top layer has a slight dip in where I sleep, I turn it every few months. It's not a severe dip and still as supportive and soft as the day I got it. My mum got the artisan naturals, and you can tell the materials will last longer.

Back
Top Bottom