Road Cycling

Soldato
Bloody hell. Just glad you're OK pal and hope you can determine some sort of idea/reason as to what happened.

A very nice guy here I know locally here had a very similar situation. He had a bad accident and has no recollection of before or after the event at all. But he ended up in an induced coma for a week and has lasting brain damage..... To this day we have no idea if a car hit him or he crashed himself but where it happened is exceptionally weird for anything other than a car having skelped him and done a runner.

Losing your bike is bad enough. Injuries are bad enough but the main thing is you will recover and you can get a new bike ;)

Soldato
Cheers guys, @AndyCr15 not sure in my head it was a car but don't it's so fuzzy and where it happened its a few houses on a quiet country road so really not sure.

Quite lucky as face seems to be the worst of it, I even forgot about Coronavirus, the guy whose house I waited at, I was walking with him and said "I know I can't get close to you but I'm not sure why".

Bike claim going through now, shop have already written it off after I took it in yesterday and asked. Initial response was yeah but there's a 3 or 4 week wait then I pointed it out and they said they could do it that evening :D

Hopefully insurance will cover new helmet, Oakley and clothing as they're all battered too.

Oh well least my wedding has been postponed next week so hopefully my face will be healed by October!

Soldato
ended up getting this -; https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-romagna-sle-road-bike-2020-189667.html

for the money I think it's a bargain! should do fine for my once in a week or so ride.

how is garmin 800 these days? Still supported by strava etc or should I be looking to get something else? I need routes + strava.

I do have my 800 already with the cadence, speed sensors sitting in the box so would prefer to use those.

on another note, @SoliD looks painful! glad you're okay other than that. Live up to your username aye :D

Soldato
@SoliD - So sorry about your accident. Looks like a nasty one. Must have been going some to write off the bike! Glad you’re otherwise unscathed. Bikes can be replaced at least. Faces heal nicely as I found out when I had a similar incident. I hit a pothole on a (short!) descent on my commute and went over the handlebars. My face broke my fall, but if I hadn’t been wearing a helmet I’d probably be dead! My commuting bike is aluminium (and tough) so survived with a couple of new wheels. Hope you heal up ok. Bio oil was good to reduce scarring, you wouldn’t be able to tell that I’d had an accident unless I pointed it out. Also silver lining with the wedding being postponed. Hopefully you won’t need to get your makeup done as well as a result!!

@#Chri5# - I’m at the cheaper end. £50 would be ideal, but would be willing to spend more for something decent. Any thoughts?

@mrthingyx - thanks, will have a look at those.

The reason I ask is that it’s a little bit difficult to judge the pad over the internet without seeing the item first, so appreciate all advice.

Soldato
how is garmin 800 these days? Still supported by strava etc or should I be looking to get something else? I need routes + strava.

I do have my 800 already with the cadence, speed sensors sitting in the box so would prefer to use those.

on another note, @SoliD looks painful! glad you're okay other than that. Live up to your username aye :D

Shouldn't be an issue really. Though if you want to build routes on Strava you have to pay now :p

Mass uproar about that as they made the change this week.

Soldato
Wow. Glad you're ok. That would really frustrate me not knowing what happened. I hope you manage to work it out.

Yeah I'm a bit of a control freak and I keep wracking my brain about it.

Haven't posted on here in ages, but glad you are okay @SoliD!

On the positive side, new bike!:D

Good to see you back, we'll see what happens with insurance.

Good job I'm on rest week I've been told by the most important doctor I'm not allowed to ride. Going to have to sort my tt bike out to ride on the road. Suspect cx bike is going to get used mostly. Won a new sram red/quarq rq power Crankset last night to ease the pain of the broken Felt!

Soldato
@#Chri5# - I’m at the cheaper end. £50 would be ideal, but would be willing to spend more for something decent. Any thoughts?

@mrthingyx - thanks, will have a look at those.

The reason I ask is that it’s a little bit difficult to judge the pad over the internet without seeing the item first, so appreciate all advice.

Galibier are a small brand but offer some good kit with selling direct to consumers. I don't have any of their bib shorts but my winter bib tights are from them and are excellent IMO - https://galibier.cc/product/pro6bib-shorts/
Likewise Prendas are direct - https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/giessegi-pordoi-bib-shorts
I've got two pairs of DHB Aeron Speed Roubaix shorts (Wiggle / CRC). I picked them up for almost half price though - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb/cycle/bib-shorts/
I don't have any but Lusso manufacturer in the UK (AFAIK) and get some good reviews - https://road.cc/content/review/246034-lusso-carbon-bib-shorts-v2

I've got some new bibs I'll hopefully get to try out on Monday - Endura Pro SL. Over budget at RRP £120 though. Mrs Chris got a discount code from Endura for 50% discount for NHS staff :cool:

Pad choice can be a personal thing, so reviews (https://road.cc/category/review-section/clothing/shorts-34s) can help but sometimes you just need to ride in them. I had a pair of Shutt's Sanremo shorts as a launch offer (50% off I think it was). They've since reviewed at 9/10 by road.cc (https://road.cc/content/review/266326-shutt-velo-rapide-signature-sanremo-bib-shorts) but they caused, erm, "havoc" downstairs for me on a 150km ride last summer. Couldn't fault the service from Shutt though - I got a full refund when returning them, so would buy kit from them again.

Soldato
Yeah I'm a bit of a control freak and I keep wracking my brain about it.

Good to see you back, we'll see what happens with insurance.

Good job I'm on rest week I've been told by the most important doctor I'm not allowed to ride. Going to have to sort my tt bike out to ride on the road. Suspect cx bike is going to get used mostly. Won a new sram red/quarq rq power Crankset last night to ease the pain of the broken Felt!

Nice bit of shopping therapy there! Nasty one that, so you've done well to get home same day. I got 10 days on orthopaedic trauma many years after a car crash and to this day, I still couldn't tell you what happened. My own knowledge is blank until I woke up in hospital but I'm told I was talking at the scene. Kind of like your brain is protecting you from remembering the pain.

Soldato
Got my left shifter & fitted quick. Now I have a matching pair! Force 22 mini group.

Much the same as the old Red 10 speed. Different hood shape which is what I wanted, the spring is a little less aggressive downshifting, either because it’s newer or by design but it’s a good thing.

Soldato
First time today on a road bike, felt very weird compared with the Carerra Hybrid I have been riding. I enjoyed it though and just something to get used to!

side note, is the Garmin 735xt still considered a good choice as a fitness watch?
Currently on offer with the HRM strap for 199.99 and I want to start getting some better info out of my riding, running and walking etc.

Soldato
First time today on a road bike, felt very weird compared with the Carerra Hybrid I have been riding. I enjoyed it though and just something to get used to!

side note, is the Garmin 735xt still considered a good choice as a fitness watch?
Currently on offer with the HRM strap for 199.99 and I want to start getting some better info out of my riding, running and walking etc.
If you want music and an all round better watch, the 645 can be had for £224.99 from Argos.

Soldato
I had a nice ride today, didn’t feel amazing or anything special but it was enjoyable enough despite the wind.

Going down a steep descent the DA9000 brakes really are very good, the control and progression on them is excellent now the pads are mated to the rims.

The Strava changes so you can’t even see your own times on segments is annoying. That’s all I was really interested in. Would I pay £50 a year for that, I’m not sure. I can tell how well I am going myself so I don’t think I can justify that. They did away with the multi tier pricing approach, I might have paid £1.99 to have what I previously had, the training log & segment leaderboards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom