Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Question for you guys. Currently have FTTC with BT (68Mbps downloads). When I check the Virgin Media website for my address, apparently I can sign up for the 350Mbps package. How is it that they can offer approx 5x the speed of BT over what is essentially the same line?

It's not the same line. Virgin have their own networks, their own lines and boxes down your street and into your house. It's made of different cables and operates differently from BT, (and all the companies that operate over Openreach's ex-BT infrastructure).

Soldato
Is anyone having issues with web pages taking a while to load? Started this morning and I've flushed my DNS but hasn't solved it, restarted modem, restarted PC, tried Google's DNS... not sure if it's something my end or their end. Even though connected to the internet, Spotify is failing to connect, Discord took a while to load.

EDIT: appears it was being caused by some Windows update that was sitting there. After downloading, installing and restarting everything seems alright.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried to cancel through their text service, but no dice. Just got through to their call centre and cancelled - They offered me the exact same offers as before. She said to call back 2 weeks into my cancellation period and ask if there are any further discounts available, as she said it is likely they could offer something better...

We shall see... for the time being, I’m now on my 30 days cancellation period.

@ik9000
For anyone that's interested how this turned out...

I got a call yesterday from Virgin Media, and I've gone with their offer of £36.00 for 350Mb Broadband. Saving myself £20 a month and getting an upgrade to 350Mb! Pretty happy with that :)

Soldato
@ik9000
For anyone that's interested how this turned out...

I got a call yesterday from Virgin Media, and I've gone with their offer of £36.00 for 350Mb Broadband. Saving myself £20 a month and getting an upgrade to 350Mb! Pretty happy with that :)

Thanks. Out of interest, in your area if you had to switch to another provider, what are your options?

Associate
I've notice Usenet being a lot slower recently; also on the 350Mbps package. Before COVID-19 (about 10 months worth of experience) usenet would always saturate my connection. Now it struggles past 10MB/sec (circa 85Mbps raw); number of connections, destination doesn't seem to alter this.

I wouldn't be suprised if VM are applying policies based on traffic; I'm 99% confident the issue is north of my modem.

I had the same issue, virgin appear to be throttling on port 553. Change to an alternate SSL port and your speeds should increase.

Soldato
Anyone else come across this before?

I had a old 2.0 Hub for the last 7 years and recently the wifi network just vanished randomly once a day, so i rang VM up, they "checked eveything" and it was apparently ok, a few days later the wifi network was still vanishing (wired connection was 100% fine all the time) so i rang them up again and they sent me the 3.0 Hub.

Ever since I connected up the 3.0 HUb, no connection issues at all and the wifi problem is resolved but now the connection drops and has issues reconnecting EVERY night at about 12:20- 12:40am. I've tried restarting the router right before the 12:20 drop out and this only seems to delay the drop for 20 mins before lo and behold it drops the internet connection. It's literally like clockwork, every night as 12:20am the internet drops out.

Anyone experienced this or have any idea whats going on as VM dont seem to have a clue

Soldato
I'm increasingly frustrated with poor wifi performance with the Hub 3.0. Virgin always try to pin out problems on internet connectivity, but when devices such as the harmony remote and wifi connected TVs aren't functioning as they should that points to a routing issue. I don't think there's much point in banging the drum any more with VM, as I'm not sure that changing the router will help much.

I'm considering putting the Hub 3.0 into modem mode and buying a new router. Any tips/suggestions for this? Don't want to spend a fortune on solving an irritation, but for example I'm getting issues connecting to my NAS which is hard wired to the Hub which is causing issue with file backup.

For example, is it worth buying this and seeing if it makes a difference? Is this just replacing junk with junk?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-link-archer-a5-ac1200-wireless-dual-band-router-nw-213-tp.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone had their Virgin Internet upgraded here?

I was told I would recieve an email today about the upgrade, but I haven't done.

Just wondering when I can expect the upgrade - I suspect it will be 1st of June as that is when I am billed.

Man of Honour
A paid for upgrade on your package or a free speed bump? The latter is due soon (its been mentioned on ispreview) but not heard anything concrete yet.

Soldato
It can take up to 24 hours, but you can (sometimes) power off the SH for a minute or two, and force it to pick up the new config when it powers back on. Usually it's just a case of waiting for the change to take place at VM's end though.

Back
Top Bottom