Ryzen 3600 - stock cooler or a budget aftermarket one?

Soldato
I've just ordered a Ryzen 3600 as part of an upgrade process. Will the stock cooler be sufficient for me or should I consider buying an aftermarket cooler?

If I do get an aftermarket one I would like to keep the costs as close to £20 as possible so I am looking at the more budget end of things. What would be the best bang for my buck, and ideally, also the easiest to install?

Soldato
I'm using a wraith prism on my 3600 and it does a very good job, could probably pick one up for 20 quid as a lot of people buying the 3700x / 3900x go with an aftermarket cooler so there should be a lot of these floating about.

Associate
I have used the stock cooler initially and upgraded to a 240mm cheap AIO now and the difference in performance is huge so I recommend highly getting a good cooling solution if you want the processor running fast (with the AIO cooler the stock 3600 runs automatically all cores around 4100 Mhz when gaming and running benchmarks so no need of overclocking and void the warranty).

Soldato
I have used the stock cooler initially and upgraded to a 240mm cheap AIO now and the difference in performance is huge so I recommend highly getting a good cooling solution if you want the processor running fast (with the AIO cooler the stock 3600 runs automatically all cores around 4100 Mhz when gaming and running benchmarks so no need of overclocking and void the warranty).
Wouldn't really call the corsair H100i cheap.

Permabanned

I always see folk saying that an AIO for the Ryzen 5 3600 is too much overkill. But clearly right here you are not overkilling but getting more performance on stock speeds!

Soldato
I always see folk saying that an AIO for the Ryzen 5 3600 is too much overkill. But clearly right here you are not overkilling but getting more performance on stock speeds!
You would likely get higher clocks spending the £50 on a bump to a 3600x and a £20 cooler though.

Soldato

People running £20 HSF's like the Freezer 34 are getting comparable results.

The 3600 doesn't generate a ton of heat unless you're going for a high all core OC.

Unfortunately the standard Freezer 34 isn't in stock, only the eSports versions are.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £80.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

If OCUK get the standard 34 back in stock it's what I'd go for with a tight budget of £20. If you can push to £30 I'd probably go with this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £29.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

I own a couple of them myself and can testify that it's a fantastic HSF, dead silent with excellent cooling results. Make sure it'll fit in your case though as it's quite high/tall.

Soldato
Like otheres have siad, H100 is not cheap or great. You went from just enough cooler to do the job, probably in a case with poor airflow to CLC with 2x more fans added to case airflow probably mounted as intake so it's warming air going to all components. A decent tower cooler and attention to case airflow ould have given you as good or better temps and noise levels for less money.

Associate
Associate
Like otheres have siad, H100 is not cheap or great. You went from just enough cooler to do the job, probably in a case with poor airflow to CLC with 2x more fans added to case airflow probably mounted as intake so it's warming air going to all components. A decent tower cooler and attention to case airflow ould have given you as good or better temps and noise levels for less money.

My testing with the stock cooler was in an open bench so not really airflow problems, and trust me, the limited performance I got from the 3600/stock air-cooler made me regret my purchase!. Then I got the new case one week later and installed everything on it with the cheap Cooler master 240 lite (which by the way I got on special offer for 38 quid!) and ended up happy with it and keeping it as my main PC.

BTW you got all wrong regarding my case airflow and AIO installation ;) The 240mm AIO is on top and have 3 extra 12cm fans (2 on front bringing fresh air in)

Just my personal experience anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
The stock cooler cools fine, it has an annoying pitch, cheap aftermarket cooler is way to go as cpu isn't hot or power hungry
:p

Last edited:
Soldato
My testing with the stock cooler was in an open bench so not really airflow problems, and trust me, the limited performance I got from the 3600/stock air-cooler made me regret my purchase!. Then I got the new case one week later and installed everything on it with the cheap Cooler master 240 lite (which by the way I got on special offer for 38 quid!) and ended up happy with it and keeping it as my main PC.

BTW you got all wrong regarding my case airflow and AIO installation ;) The 240mm AIO is on top and have 3 extra 12cm fans (2 on front bringing fresh air in)

Just my personal experience anyway.
I've found downflow coolers to run 4-7c hotter than small tower because the air fan pushes down hits motherboard turning out hitting RAM, GPU, etc turning up along side of cooler and fan where it is drawn back into fan. This happens even on open bench test station, even with test station having a 140mm fan mounted about 10cm above motherboard blowing air across it.

I ordered the silverstone cooler
Silverstone SST-AR12 is a good value cooler.

Please let us know how it all works out.

Back
Top Bottom