RC cars

Soldato
Hobao VS buggy is great, very solid build. Smashed mine around loads on road and off road.
The only weak points are the rear wishbone supports,i think that's the name them. I made my own out of metal, but can also be bought.
For on road use, I made a protector for the top front suspension supports, as they were wearing down very quickly when scrapping down the road on the roof!

Soldato
Hobao VS buggy is great, very solid build. Smashed mine around loads on road and off road.
The only weak points are the rear wishbone supports,i think that's the name them. I made my own out of metal, but can also be bought.
For on road use, I made a protector for the top front suspension supports, as they were wearing down very quickly when scrapping down the road on the roof!
Cheers mate. I started looking at the
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho...ess-4wd-readyset-buggy/rc-car-products/437584

But I think that is a bit rich for me

Soldato
I chucked in a Hobbywing Max 8 in mine with 150amp ESC, had around 60mph on 4s (phone gps). Put in 6s and a 24tooth pinion, I opened up the throttle at approx 30mph, did a massive wheelie and exploded the tyres, LOL
Stock tyres died quick on the half on/off road track we had.

Soldato
dads got the 100 amp hyper vs and it is an awesome buggy, i would be scared to see how fast the 150 amp one gets :D

the stock tyres won't last long on tarmac though.
OK. That's good to know. I may go with this one then
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-vs-1-8-rtr-brushless-buggy-red/rc-car-products/396615

As it might be a bit tamer. Is there any build quality difference between this and 150 version on there? Or just the engine and esu?

Can you configure the max speed? To help a newbie?

Soldato
I chucked in a Hobbywing Max 8 in mine with 150amp ESC, had around 60mph on 4s (phone gps). Put in 6s and a 24tooth pinion, I opened up the throttle at approx 30mph, did a massive wheelie and exploded the tyres, LOL
Stock tyres died quick on the half on/off road track we had.

Should tape then with gorilla duct then balance. What tyres were you running?

My hyper 7 does about 70 on 5S but it's silly and dangerous, would hate to think of the injuries or could cause of our hot someone :eek: Just run 4s for most bash sessions.

Running 150a hobbywing paired with a leopard 2000kv :cool:.

Soldato
Just some cheap slicks, pre mounted, so couldn't tape.
TBH I didn't expect them to take it, but it's all I had.
It's not worth the money buying special tyres for a 1 off 80mph run. Just going to wreck stuff going that fast all the time.

Shattered shin if it hit you I would suspect, ouch!

Soldato
OK. That's good to know. I may go with this one then
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-vs-1-8-rtr-brushless-buggy-red/rc-car-products/396615

As it might be a bit tamer. Is there any build quality difference between this and 150 version on there? Or just the engine and esu?

Can you configure the max speed? To help a newbie?

i think the only difference is the esc and maybe the pinion gear been geared for 6s batterys, you could always switch the pinion and just run 4s on the 150 amp one i think.

Soldato
I picked up a wltoys A959b for my lad, took it out for its first run today and for the price I'm really impressed. Shocks need oil which I've ordered so will be interesting to see what abuse it can take.

Soldato
I picked up a wltoys A959b for my lad, took it out for its first run today and for the price I'm really impressed. Shocks need oil which I've ordered so will be interesting to see what abuse it can take.

just watched a vid of it, it seems pretty mental, does it really have a 540 size motor in it?

ordered one of these for dads birthday with an extra battery https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima...ed-truggy-2-4ghz-green/rc-car-products/442301 his surge monster truck has been giving to me for spares for my buggy one so figured i would get him something small for the garden :)

Soldato
Yeah a 540 motor that looks massive in it. :D

hehe awesome, i would love to hear how it holds up :D

only nut job 18 scale i had was a maverick atom which i stuck in a losi xcelorin 6000kv brushless on 2s, ran like the clappers but the diff input gears kept shredding lol

edit:
i still have this and the esc for it http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB9460 i just want a small scale buggy to whack it into.

edit 2: https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-1-18-xcelorin-brushless-esc-motor-combo-6000kv-losb9560/p24233 thats the exact one i have but i need to find the usb thingy or the program card.

any ideas on what could handle that on 2s? 18 scale preferred and something with plentiful spares :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey all!

I have an old RC car which has a scooby shell on it, it's one that was made up and I suspect it's antenna part is knackered as doesn't respond or possibly the controller itself I ain't sure

Anyway tbh I didn't use it often enough, it was great when it worked but am looking to move it on and sell it as is, am sure some one who is into it and builds em could easily repair.

Is there any where you can recommend to sell it?

Soldato
Hi all,

We have a 5 year old HPI E-Firestorm 1/10 RTR. Its completely standard with stock brushed motor, 8.4V Ni-cd. I would like to convert it to a brushless motor and LIPOs (2S?), but really not sure what I need...

ESC
The current ESC is a HPI SC-15WP which states that it has 2S compatibility. Not sure if I should trust this?

LI-PO
I currently have two Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Packs which I bought for a plane (but not yet flown!), but I've read that 3S is probably too much for a 1/10 buggy and 2S is more manageable? Is this the case? Any recommendations for a 2S? Would something like this be ok?

LI-PO Charger
I've got a Turnigy Accucell 6, so hopefully this should be ok for charging.

Motor
Have no idea what I am look for here. I've put my current can dimensions into HobbyKing 48mm x 36mm and it came up with this list: LINK. Some of which are motor and ESC combos.

Any recommendations or anything else I haven't considered?

Thanks

Soldato
just watched a vid of it, it seems pretty mental, does it really have a 540 size motor in it?
ordered one of these for dads birthday with an extra battery https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima...ed-truggy-2-4ghz-green/rc-car-products/442301 his surge monster truck has been giving to me for spares for my buggy one so figured i would get him something small for the garden :)

I bought a A979B and A959B for my two sons (10 and 7yrs) but they are just too fast. They are absolutely mental. I sold the A979B and let my two sons use my 1/12 Himoto's which are fast but more robust. So I use the A959B. It flips at the slightest little thing and you can see why people update the plastic parts with aluminium. Only mod I have done is upgrade the shocks, its a common upgrade I do on the ones I have bought. Its a tough little thing but its scraped all over the body shell and the front "bumper" has seen some wear but it still goes. I could do with a new body shell. I was all set to go take them to a couple of dirt tracks nearby but then the virus hit. When things calm down a bit I think I will go take them.

Soldato
Someone at work bought a 959 thing. Was stupid, barely drivable lol. But that makes it fun I guess, plus they are cheap.
Think I'm going to sell two of my RC cars, just not getting the use now. Will keep the arrma granite, but let the hobao buggy and traxxas e Revo go.

Back
Top Bottom