**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
I always reading you won't go back to 60hz when you been on 120hz. I always thought what a load of rubbish. Was messing on my mate 20x yesterday and i couldn't believe how bad it felt.

You notice the jerky animations which were perfectly smooth before I got this phone. Switching this to 60hz you notice how bad it looks as well, this is the biggest thing that has impressed me about this phone.

Soldato
How have you found the change in software experience?

It's essentially stock android but with a ton more options. Win win if you ask me. You lose the faster updates and the gcam however the little tweaks make up for it in my case.

I'm looking forward to a good gcam port.

Soldato
Any decent air vent car holder for the OnePlus 8?
Airframe plus?
Not been doing much driving at all lately, but I've been using a Belkin rotating mount for last couple years with S10+ and Pixel 2XL before that. Working fine with my 8Pro in the last couple trips to local supermarket.

I have had a few instances where the phone and grip has fallen if i've had to suddenly brake. But in general i've liked it, very easy to use and move when needed.

Soldato
Any recommendations for screen protectors? Had an accident outside yesterday with my 8Pro, fell screen down onto dirt/gravel track. Factory screen protector wrecked, but somehow my screen escaped any damage at all.

There was a brand mentioned earlier in the thread, but looks like they're out of stock on Amazon now.

Soldato
After wrestling with my conscience because I didn't want to buy a Chinese phone, I ended up with an 8 Pro (8/128). I figured that Apple make iPhones in China and I have separate issues with Samsung that make me not want to buy anything from them again.

That's by-the-by. After a few days, here are my thoughts.
- 120hz is incredible, though it doesn't - out of the box - work in every app (including my favorite browser, Samsung Internet). I have forced it to 120hz continuously with an adb command. So far, the battery life doesn't seem much affected.
- Oxygen OS is all anyone should need from Android. It's smooth and straightforward.
- I came from a Note 10+, the hardware of which felt 'special' in a way I can't exactly describe. The 8 Pro does not feel special in the same way. Maybe it's the rounded corners.
- Daylight photos seem as good as those on the Note, night time photos much better.
- I can live without AOD, but the battery dribbles away like I've got one switched on - about 1% per hour. App optimisation hasn't helped.
- Oxygen OS forces a stupid black band at the top of the screen in many games, to keep the camera circle hidden. There's an option to force full screen but it doesn't work in most games.
- The screen is too curved, which makes it seem narrower than it is.
- Battery life overall isn't bad - I reckon 6-8 hours SoT at 120hz in normal usage.
- The fingerprint reader is about a zillion times better than Samsung's version.
- I haven't noticed any issues with screen quality.
- Cases are really hard to find, which I've heard is because the wrong measurements were sent to the case makers.

Overall, I think it's a great phone, though Oneplus really cheaped out by increasing prices and reducing storage at the same time. I'll probably keep it.

Soldato
Any recommendations for screen protectors? Had an accident outside yesterday with my 8Pro, fell screen down onto dirt/gravel track. Factory screen protector wrecked, but somehow my screen escaped any damage at all.

There was a brand mentioned earlier in the thread, but looks like they're out of stock on Amazon now.

Best I've found is the one made by IBYWIND sold on Amazon. It's a soft TPU protector, but very easy to apply and I didn't get any bubbles, it doesn't lift along the edges and seems case friendly so far. It's very easy to dint and mark but seems to self "heal" after a number of minutes.

I did try to apply a liquid UV glue glass protector but it went horribly wrong, so went back to using the plastic ones until I get some resupplies of the glue.

Soldato
After wrestling with my conscience because I didn't want to buy a Chinese phone, I ended up with an 8 Pro (8/128). I figured that Apple make iPhones in China and I have separate issues with Samsung that make me not want to buy anything from them again.

That's by-the-by. After a few days, here are my thoughts.
- 120hz is incredible, though it doesn't - out of the box - work in every app (including my favorite browser, Samsung Internet). I have forced it to 120hz continuously with an adb command. So far, the battery life doesn't seem much affected.
- Oxygen OS is all anyone should need from Android. It's smooth and straightforward.
- I came from a Note 10+, the hardware of which felt 'special' in a way I can't exactly describe. The 8 Pro does not feel special in the same way. Maybe it's the rounded corners.
- Daylight photos seem as good as those on the Note, night time photos much better.
- I can live without AOD, but the battery dribbles away like I've got one switched on - about 1% per hour. App optimisation hasn't helped.
- Oxygen OS forces a stupid black band at the top of the screen in many games, to keep the camera circle hidden. There's an option to force full screen but it doesn't work in most games.
- The screen is too curved, which makes it seem narrower than it is.
- Battery life overall isn't bad - I reckon 6-8 hours SoT at 120hz in normal usage.
- The fingerprint reader is about a zillion times better than Samsung's version.
- I haven't noticed any issues with screen quality.
- Cases are really hard to find, which I've heard is because the wrong measurements were sent to the case makers.

Overall, I think it's a great phone, though Oneplus really cheaped out by increasing prices and reducing storage at the same time. I'll probably keep it.
Hard to argue with the majority of that. I prefer the rounder corners over the 'boxier' style of the Note 10 - it was one of the reasons I never kept mine. The standby drain does seem somewhat excessive. Mine uses 2-3% each night (8-9 hours).

Soldato
I can live without AOD, but the battery dribbles away like I've got one switched on - about 1% per hour. App optimisation hasn't helped.

Can I check. You are saying this is bad? A battery in an Android that lasts 4 days is bad?

I can tell you, even with screen off, that's better than average.

The standby drain does seem somewhat excessive. Mine uses 2-3% each night (8-9 hours).

Overnight can be a little different as it will all go into deep sleep, but even then 5-10% is probably average. (Average for an Android, not a OnePlus 8 Pro mind you)

Soldato
Can I check. You are saying this is bad? A battery in an Android that lasts 4 days is bad?

4 days sitting screen off doing nothing other than occasionally checking for an email doesn't seem great. My Note 10+ dribbled 1% per hour ish with AoD turned on and other OP users report much lower idle drain.

Soldato
The thing with battery life, everyone's will be different as everyone has different services running, so to be fair, I shouldn't comment on what would be good for you. I can tell you, with what I would suggest is a 'normal setup' with things enabled like location and apps syncing, I can tell you having used more devices than your average perhaps (like maybe 4 or 5 in the last two months for example) that 1% drain per hour is pretty good. An average device, with average battery, with average use (so including screen on) would be maybe 3% to 5% an hour... in my opinion and from my experiences of course :)

Associate
Have kept hold of my 8 Pro while waiting for OP to get back to me on the MMS bug I have. Also had a Note 10 Plus before and must admit something about that device felt special. Just can't go back to a 60hz display now. Even using my work 11 Pro Max feels a chore now!

On the subject of battery - I picked up a S20 Plus with the view to returning the OP8. Battery life, in my daily use, is better on the OP at 120hz QHD than the S20 on 120hz FHD. Plus the S20 heats up so much in daily use (presumably the Snapdragon variant would be better in this regard). Think the S20 manages about 13-14 hours total with 4 -5 hours screen on time on a single charge - feels disappointing after being used to the 11 Pro Max battery. OP8 certainly gives me confidence of making it to the end of the day/evening ready for an over night charge so that's good enough for me.

Wish the trend of corved edge/waterfall screens would stop though - much prefer the flatter S20 screen (if not the factory white point/tuning of the display).

Soldato
Best I've found is the one made by IBYWIND sold on Amazon. It's a soft TPU protector, but very easy to apply and I didn't get any bubbles, it doesn't lift along the edges and seems case friendly so far. It's very easy to dint and mark but seems to self "heal" after a number of minutes.

I did try to apply a liquid UV glue glass protector but it went horribly wrong, so went back to using the plastic ones until I get some resupplies of the glue.
Thanks for this. I ended up ordering some "QITAYO" tempered glass screen protectors and they arrived today. Will give them a try and see how they are.

Associate
Has anyone had issues using gestures? I turned off the bottom bar option but that stopped all gestures working. I'm using nova launcher, not sure if that makes a difference.

Screenshot-20200605-172929.jpg

Soldato
Has anyone had issues using gestures? I turned off the bottom bar option but that stopped all gestures working. I'm using nova launcher, not sure if that makes a difference.
I actually stopped using Nova around a month ago and moved back to the stock launcher. I know the customisation isn't quite as good and the plethora of gestures isn't the same but I just find it a much more fluid experience. Can't say I noticed any such issues up until that point though - and I always kept the bottom bar hidden.

Associate
Thanks will give that a go as it's really irritating not being able to navigate when gestures stop working and there are no navigation buttons

I actually stopped using Nova around a month ago and moved back to the stock launcher. I know the customisation isn't quite as good and the plethora of gestures isn't the same but I just find it a much more fluid experience. Can't say I noticed any such issues up until that point though - and I always kept the bottom bar hidden.

Back
Top Bottom