• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3600 Owners, do any of you overclock your cpu? Or not worth it?

Associate
I’m currently running mine at 4.2 all cores, it’s stable for all of the gaming I do but I’m just wondering if it’s worth it? Have any of you guys tested with and without an oc?

I didn’t really gather any data from stock but browsing the internet it literally seems like it’s 1 FPS in most gaming situations, it’ll be nice to know if you guys tried and tested stuff.

Soldato
I’m currently running mine at 4.2 all cores, it’s stable for all of the gaming I do but I’m just wondering if it’s worth it? Have any of you guys tested with and without an oc?

I didn’t really gather any data from stock but browsing the internet it literally seems like it’s 1 FPS in most gaming situations, it’ll be nice to know if you guys tried and tested stuff.

Have you tried to use 1usmus power plan and all the settings he suggests?
You just have to reset your bios settings, set XMP and activate what he has on the list, installing the powerplan.

Then you can observe how the system behaves if left on default with tweaking or all core overclock.

Associate
OP
Have you tried to use 1usmus power plan and all the settings he suggests?
You just have to reset your bios settings, set XMP and activate what he has on the list, installing the powerplan.

Then you can observe how the system behaves if left on default with tweaking or all core overclock.
I will have a google later and possibly give it a go, thanks mate

Associate
I don't overclock my one and let the processor do its magic! so far I get usually all cores between 4.05 and 4.2 when gaming thanks to an AIO 240mm cooler (speeds with original cooling were disappointing). FSB is at 101 so it goes up to 4.242 without any problems. Playing with PBO i got up to 4.37 but it crashed a couple of times when gaming so went back to default settings. Using 1Usmus power profile.

Soldato
I overclock mine to 4.2ghz all core and have done since last august as only 2 cores ever hit that speed so now I benefit with all cores doing it. I'm @1.325v for reference.

I also overclock the infinity fabric to 1900 so I can run ram 1-1 at 3800.

Temps during gaming around 50-55, Aida and cinebench R20 maxes out around 67. using a wraith prism cooler I got donated for free.

Not sure how much it benefits gaming but I just like knowing I got the max out of my hardware and left nothing on the table. I also enjoy overclocking.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I overclock mine to 4.2ghz all core and have done since last august as only 2 cores ever hit that speed so now I benefit with all cores doing it. I'm @1.325v for reference.

I also overclock the infinity fabric to 1900 so I can run ram 1-1 at 3800.

Temps during gaming around 50-55, Aida and cinebench R20 maxes out around 67. using a wraith prism cooler I got donated for free.

Not sure how much it benefits gaming but I just like knowing I got the max out of my hardware and left nothing on the table. I also enjoy overclocking.

What mobo you have?

Soldato
I am going with a B450 pro carbon ac and wondered if the 3600 would overclock a little for me safely on that board. I believe the vrm is slightly better on the pro carbon compared to the tomahawk?
I think both have the same VRM so overclocking would be identical its just the pro carbon has some better board features. you should be fine overclocking up to 8 core cpus on both boards but with 12 cores + you would ideally want some airflow over the VRMs.

Soldato
With these Ryzen chips not worth overclocking the CPU's. Spent your timing on the ram.
I think it depends on your workloads and how high your chip will naturally boost vs how much manual OC you can achieve. Also if the chips are not worth OCing then whats the point in the costly X570 with the big VRMs.

Soldato
I think it depends on your workloads and how high your chip will naturally boost vs how much manual OC you can achieve. Also if the chips are not worth OCing then whats the point in the costly X570 with the big VRMs.

There isn't much point that's why X570 boards sell poorly compared to b450

Soldato
I think per core overclocking would be most advantageous on ryzen as currently your held back by the lowest clocking core on the CCX, this way you could go through each core individually and find the max limit.

Caporegime

I'm using a B350 board with my 3600X.

Overclocking is pointless - you will get at best a 1% gain in games for several hours of your time and risk possible corruption with dodgy stability.

i never bothered with ram timings either. i just got half decent ram and run it at stock 3200mhz.

Soldato
I see a measured 3% improvement in Cinebench scores if I set all core on my 3700X to 4.3Ghz at the expense of increased volts, temps and noise. In actual real world useage where some cores will boost past 4.3Ghz under light load I doubt there would be more than 1% improvement if that.

Soldato
I bought my 3600 last week, it boosts to 4.2 all core on its own, had it up to 4.35 but it won't drop the clocks at idle, so I quickly went back down. There seems a lot to ryzen ocing and it's a bit confusing with pb and pbo etc, did manage to get my ram to cl14 tho with ryzen master reporting 1800 fclk and 1800 ram speed, but I don't even know if that is right, they are 3800 in bios

edit: no idea what I'm doing really, should really look at some you tube videos on it

Last edited:
Associate
I got quite lucky with my chip, i get 4.4 at 1.29v, stable 12 hour prime and not had a crash yet. If I couldn't get past 4.2 all core, I'd probably just let the chip overclock itself

Back
Top Bottom