• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Associate
Its still essentially the same parts just better binning.

Ok, i'll re-quote Minstadave

It's not binning, it's a new process, N7P.

So which is it? Same process, better binning or new process, not binning?

If it's a new process with the same underlying architecture and configuration of Zen2 then it very much smells like a Zen2+ even though AMD haven't shown marketing as such this time around.

Soldato
Isn't that why they bin though to take the luck out the equation.

They try too, heard of golden chips ? ;)

You could say the same about my 1700, if they knew it did 4ghz, why didnt they turn that into an 1800X and make themselves £200 more, same thing.

Thats just one part of your chip though, the io die, you might not of got so lucky with the chiplet, its still an 8 core chiplet, but a failed one, with 2 of the cores fused off, just like the 3900X is 2 x 8 core failed chiplets, with 2 of the cores on each chiplet fused off.

And that my friend is binning, the 8 core chiplets that perform faultless and extremely well go into the 3950X and Epyc.

AMD said themselves, even last year, the yields were high, because the cores were easy to make without all the IO included in them: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-9-3950x-best-gamingcpu

Shipping all the complex I/O silicon off onto a separate 12nm die means that the 7nm CPU chiplets aren’t as complex as they would have to be if they were going to be a monolithic eight-core 7nm chip. And that means the yields on the chiplets are actually pretty good,

Last edited:
Soldato
And that my friend is binning, the 8 core chiplets that perform faultless and extremely well go into the 3950X and Epyc
This is probably why we are just seeing these high clocking parts now as there wasnt enough faultless silicon available last july so we got the dumbed down versions instead of what AMD had originally intended and the pre release leeks shown. Now they can just slot these into the exsisting line up as they probably have a stockpile now and rather than just let them go into existing sku's they can generate some publicity and extra revenue for being able to charge a slight premium.

Soldato
This is probably why we are just seeing these high clocking parts now as there wasnt enough faultless silicon available last july so we got the dumbed down versions instead of what AMD had originally intended and the pre release leeks shown. Now they can just slot these into the exsisting line up as they probably have a stockpile now and rather than just let them go into existing sku's they can generate some publicity and extra revenue for being able to charge a slight premium.

Its possible, but like I said before, what are they doing with all of the ones that still are not making the grade, you'll always get bad ones, they're not putting them into the lower end chips like the 3100 and 3300, although they have a lot less cores, everyone is talking about how well they are overclocking, and thats usually what they would do with the rubbish cores.

Permabanned
That is the logical answer as opposed to being N7P. They could be but I’ve not heard it being confirmed beyond forum speculation.

Soldato
Its possible, but like I said before, what are they doing with all of the ones that still are not making the grade, you'll always get bad ones, they're not putting them into the lower end chips like the 3100 and 3300, although they have a lot less cores, everyone is talking about how well they are overclocking, and thats usually what they would do with the rubbish cores.
They will still continue to go into the 3100 3500x 3600 4700x 3900 etc and these will still be selling plenty just like with the 2600 being one of the most popular chips even after zen 2 released. the 3600x and 3800x are the only skus that will likely be phased out and replaced as there wasn't really much value in those anyway at their current specs.

Associate
Pannalicour game engines are no more designed for Intel than designed for SSD. Have you seen the load times on spinning disk?
Unoptimized code will prefer low latency, end of story.

Ohh really because last time I checked people promised it was because of the high IPC. So what changed? Are we guessing now?

Soldato
I don’t think these will be N7P just better binned chiplets that they will now have surplus of since yields are so high. They might have so many that they can now afford to use best chiplets in non EPYC/3950X or might just be a limited run.

Perfect time to generate bit of hype and counter intel 10th gen by creating new SKU and reset MSRP on these parts as 3000 series has discounts across the board now.

No doubt will still end up cheaper than Intel and can hopefully close up that 7% gaming gap at 1080P with 2080TI, really need faster IF though for that to happen hopefully the 2GHz rumour is true as that will be great.

Caporegime
Ok, i'll re-quote Minstadave

So which is it? Same process, better binning or new process, not binning?

If it's a new process with the same underlying architecture and configuration of Zen2 then it very much smells like a Zen2+ even though AMD haven't shown marketing as such this time around.

Thats my fault, N7P isn't official so may not be true.

Soldato
This is going to hopefully make for some great deals on the 3700x and 3800x. Ideal for the next couple of years until a drop in price and all the bios updates for even more cores on 4000.

Soldato
What AMD should do is bin the chips more closely.

There shouldn't be a lottery between a 3600 doing an FCLK of 1900 and a 3900x that can only do 1800.

They should bin the IMC's off. Also this would help segment the line-up and actually give a reason for someone to buy a 3800x over a 3700x.

I feel for any one that buys a 3900x and the FCLK cant do more than 1800. That's a travesty.

I'd be a little cheesed if I bought a 3900x and found it couldn't do more than 1800.

For example:

3600 max FCLK 1800
3600x FCLK from 1833 - 1900
3700x max FCLK 1800
3800x FCLK 1833 - 1900
3990x FCLK either 1900 or 1833 - 1900
3950x guaranteed FCLK 1900

Price the 3800x at the original £70 on top of the 3700x. Maybe not so popular with us, but would be VERY popular for AMD. They would sell a lot more 3800x's due to the fact consumers know the chip is binned. No guarantee of anything but % silicon lottery is increased.

Or maybe the random IMC's on the chips are good because like buying those football stickers in the 90s you just don't know what your gonna get which spreads the sales of the products. :p

I'd pay the extra £70 for a 3800x over a 3700x if I knew it had a binned IMC rather than take a random gamble as we do now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom