Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Associate
Hi all,

How are you finding working/gaming on a flat ultrawide? I sit about 2ft from screen and am in the market for a new monitor to replace my aging (but served me well) Dell U2412M monitor.

This Iiyama looks like a good deal and my last Iiyama served me very well (it was one of their Flatron Vision Master Pro CRTs :D).

I was originally going to upgrade to 1440p and was looking at the Dell S3220DGF (having seen it on some very good discounts recently). However, given how long I intend to keep my screen, I think it is better to go to ultrawide in the long term :cool:.

I think I read somewhere that Iiyama have a curved 34 inch ultrawide coming out soon??? – but this will be on a VA panel (not sure if anyone has any details on this???).

My budget is up to £600 and I need Freesync as I went for one of Gibbo’s deals last Dec on a Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5700 8GB GAMING OC.

Any thoughts appreciated.

The exact reason I got the screen was primarily for work. I already was using an IPS 144hz screen, but needed 2 screens and the previous screen being 32" meant an ultrawide was the obvious choice.
It's brilliant for working on, I can have my coding on one side and anything else on the other and size wise it's easily big enough and legible. I have increased my scaling in Winders to 113% but that's my 39 year olds eyes lol.

I had previously had the AOC CU34G2X 144 VA on order but cancelled for this. So far im glad I did.

Associate
Hi, anyone experiencing "no signal" after waking up from sleep? It works fine after switching the monitor off and on. Tried re-inserting the cables again and it appears to resolve itself, but reverts back to doing "no signal" again, after a while. I'm using displayport with my GTX 1070.

Caporegime
OP
+2 introduces overshoot for me. (look for the purple trails)
Can't say I notice any, there probably is but the motion of the UFOs looks a lot clearer to my eyes with +2 :/

EDIT:

Just to report, no issues with sleep etc. still.

Starting to think it could be nvidia gpus not playing nicely with the monitor?

Caporegime
OP
As said above.

There are different types of matte finishes too, some have a hazy effect and some have no hazy effect at all. My 29um65 was superb for its finish, it had a nice "pop" look to it where the image feels like it's floating on top of the display where as the iiyama is ever so slightly muted, almost like a screen protector over it, but I am extremely fussy about this so it probably wouldn't bother 99% of other people :p

EDIT:

One other niggling "feature/issue", so when freesync is enabled, you can't enable any of the other features, which is understandable, however, can't even adjust the aspect ratio of the monitor to suit other systems with freesync turned on :/

Associate
yeah I noticed that if you want HDR etc on then no freesync... although I'll be honest, I've never been able to tell the difference with having gsync/freesync enabled in games, but then I always try to target a minimum of 100fps in most games I play.

Caporegime
OP
yeah I noticed that if you want HDR etc on then no freesync... although I'll be honest, I've never been able to tell the difference with having gsync/freesync enabled in games, but then I always try to target a minimum of 100fps in most games I play.

It's not really a big deal either as this monitor like 99% of the other so called HDR monitors out there don't actually have the proper hardware to do what HDR was made for, it's just a case of it being able to support a HDR signal and that's it.

Associate
It's not really a big deal either as this monitor like 99% of the other so called HDR monitors out there don't actually have the proper hardware to do what HDR was made for, it's just a case of it being able to support a HDR signal and that's it.

I dont really get HDR to be honest, just looks like someone has turned the digital vibrance up to 70% lol

Associate
Hi, anyone experiencing "no signal" after waking up from sleep? It works fine after switching the monitor off and on. Tried re-inserting the cables again and it appears to resolve itself, but reverts back to doing "no signal" again, after a while. I'm using displayport with my GTX 1070.

Yeah happens now and again to me but I am used to it from my old monitor which also did it so it doesnt really bother me but I get it can be a bit infuriating :)

Associate
I dont really get HDR to be honest, just looks like someone has turned the digital vibrance up to 70% lol

Yeah you arent going to get proper HDR at this price point, its just not practical really. Its more there as a "yeah it can accept a HDR signal" but I wouldnt bother with it to be honest. Id rather have a good SDR image than a crap HDR one to be honest.

Associate
Yeah you arent going to get proper HDR at this price point, its just not practical really. Its more there as a "yeah it can accept a HDR signal" but I wouldnt bother with it to be honest. Id rather have a good SDR image than a crap HDR one to be honest.
I feel like HDR on current value monitors are gimmick, Id rather wait for OLEDs for HDR capabilities. They have true blacks and have deep rich colours. Having HDR on IPS which has low contrast ratio to begin with is wishful thinking at this price bracket.

Associate
Can't say I notice any, there probably is but the motion of the UFOs looks a lot clearer to my eyes with +2 :/

EDIT:

Just to report, no issues with sleep etc. still.

Starting to think it could be nvidia gpus not playing nicely with the monitor?

Yeah happens now and again to me but I am used to it from my old monitor which also did it so it doesnt really bother me but I get it can be a bit infuriating :)

Try to disable hybrid sleep (sleep settings in the advanced power options). That solved the issue for me, but at least once that setting turned itself back on. I will check the firmware upgrade tool later on my computer as well.

Associate
Just a thought. Older GPU's may need a firmware update to use DP 1.3 or 1.4. Could it be that the cards are just not happy with the resolution ?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

I have had the screen all boxed up ready to send back but I thought I would give this a try first. My card (1080) was flagged for an upgrade so I have done that and I will get it set back up again.

Out of interest those running nvidia cards who haven't had issues, have you got gsync enabled?

Back
Top Bottom