Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
It's not so much the range that's limited, its the output power of the video/radio transmitter which I believe is limited to 25mw video/100mw radio. So if your in an open area with clear line of sight you'll still get way beyond visual line of sight, but the moment you add obstructions that signal will degrade rapidly.

The US/FCC version outputs up to 1w of power so around 40 times more power. Allowing you to not only go way further but still retain decent range even if something is blocking direct line of sight. On previous generation drones you could unlock the output power to higher levels, but that was made harder or even impossible with each newer model.

Associate
It's not so much the range that's limited, its the output power of the video/radio transmitter which I believe is limited to 25mw video/100mw radio. So if your in an open area with clear line of sight you'll still get way beyond visual line of sight, but the moment you add obstructions that signal will degrade rapidly.

The US/FCC version outputs up to 1w of power so around 40 times more power. Allowing you to not only go way further but still retain decent range even if something is blocking direct line of sight. On previous generation drones you could unlock the output power to higher levels, but that was made harder or even impossible with each newer model.

so if i was to buy a US version of the mavic 2 air and bring it back to the UK would it be able to use the full 1w of power or would the software limit the signal power i know the mini has different hardware that affects the power output but kinda wondering if this would work as I could buy a flymore combo is the US for the same price as a normal package in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
No idea currently, but the previous generation DJI products have used your location during registration to determine its output power. With the mavic mini they went one step further and actually gave the EU version completely different hardware.

Soldato
Guys.
Wonder if some of you can give advice.

I have flown RC planes for 20 years. So have a lot of equipment and planes etc.

fancy a go at fpv drones. Those where you wear goggles and fly it.

Any recommendations. I don’t want to spend a huge amount. Just don’t know much at all about this angle of the hobby

Thanks

Soldato
If your not looking to spend much and just want a dabble then it might be worth looking at one of the many beginner kits which include goggles a controller and a small mini quad, something ideal for inside and out.

There's the emax tinyhawk. Betafpv educational kits and loads of Chinese knock offs.

Easiest to get going with imho is the emax ez pilot or emax tinyhawk 2 bundle which is around £95-135 and includes everything you need.

https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/emax-tinyhawk

Alternatively if your pockets are deep and you want the best possible experience then you have the following available to you.

https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/dji-digital-fpv-whoops/betafpv-95x-caddx-vista-hd-digital-whoop-bnf
https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/fatshark-video-goggles/dji-digital-fpv-hd-goggles
https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/tbs-crossfire-uhf/tbs-tango-2-pro-transmitter-with-crossfire-inside

Obviously the above is literally just getting started and your talking nearly £1000 without batteries, chargers and other parts, but the goggles/radio will basically last you years :)

Last edited:
Associate
Out of curiousity has anyone tried the Yagi antennas you can buy for the mavic mini/air controllers. I'm currently 3d printing the holders for the aluminium rods on both the 2.4 and 5.8ghz versions hopefully will see an increase in signal strength when obstructions occur.

Soldato
I have a Mavic Mini - something I've always been unsure of - can I fly it from my back garden? I know it has to be 50m from people/properties, so if I fly it straight up to 50m is this ok? It would be <50m from properties whilst ascending...

Associate
guys/girls! I’m not sure if anyone can help, also let me know if I can put this in an appropriate thread!

https://www.dhgate.com/product/diy-cctv-camera-1-8mm-170-degrees-wide-angle/399315636.html

I’m after a cable like the one in the link above that would fit the camera I’ve included here from banggood, if anyone knows a uk supplier would be a bonus. I'm also clueless as to what the cable would be called exactly, I know it has rca connections but what are the camera connections called?

My aim is to connect up to a pc with ac power and a video converter.

https://uk.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0M....html?rmmds=myorder&ID=44070&cur_warehouse=UK

Many thanks if you can help, bit of a noob regarding all this!

Associate
No idea currently, but the previous generation DJI products have used your location during registration to determine its output power. With the mavic mini they went one step further and actually gave the EU version completely different hardware.

Furthest I've gotten the Mavic Mini is 1km, after that I find the signal drops very quickly. EU model.

This multi mile stuff is nonsense, at least for the EU as I'm sure these manufacturers did range tests in peak, ideal conditions...flat desert, nothing for hundred miles whilst sat on 30m high platform, controller on tripod for micro angle adjustments etc.

Love my mini. Currently saving for DJI's next top pro-sumer, Phantom 5 or Mavic 3. a lot of this depends on the specs as I want something along the lines of https://store.xdynamics.com/product/evolve2/ spec wise. The Inspire 2 model is aittle too pro for my budget & requirements.

Associate
Yes, that's absolutely right, if his neighbours have the power to repeal legislation and exempt him from CAA guidelines.

I find a lot of this requires a degree of common sense. Taking a 249g drone for a quick spin in a back garden has always seemed harmless to me, a course we can debate the 'what if's' until the cows come home but let's not pretend every person who's driven in this forum hasn't taken their car above 70mph in the UK.
You've broken the law but you do it anyway because doing 80mph on a motorway is a lot different to doing 140mph in the same way taking a 249g craft vs a fully loaded 4250g DJI Inspire 2 in your back garden.

Unfortunately due to the legislation a lot of places you think you can fly are not allowed. Council ran parks that ban drones, nature reserves, beaches, coastal lines.

I bet if you contacted the people who owned or were responsible for this land you'd get a blanket no most times.

I like to think we've come a long way from dumb radio controlled aircraft from the 90's that require a very high degree of skill, an therefore can get out of control in a moments notice if you don't concentrate.
Today's radio controlled helicopter, rotary aircraft are all fly by wire(software), if takes care of the difficult stuff & you just point it where to go. I await my roasting :p

Back
Top Bottom