Wardrobe hinges

Soldato
I've put a wardrobe together but two of the hinges won't stay fixed, they pop out. The 2 holes in the top of the left door and the two holes in the bottom right of the wardrobe (not door) have obviously lost their integrity. Is there a way to fix them?

Bottom right:
20200527-175623.jpg

Top left:
20200527-175716.jpg

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. How does thst hinge repair plate work?

What about if I were to push rawl plugs in and cut them flush and then used wood glue or epoxy glue to hold the rawl plugs, would that be strong enough?

Soldato
I'd say you either fill the holes with some very thickly mixed saw dust and wood glue, or pack it with small bits of wood/toothpicks and super glue the screw in.

Plugging it won't work as the hole is too thin. Cutting the plug that short will have little effect, especially on something like a hinge that will be under regular load.

Soldato
reminds me of the problem i had

pack the area up with toothpicks or matchsticks + wood glue then what I did was use a rawl plug with glue first then let that dry

that worked for me in the kitchen.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try the easiest option, cocktail sticks and wood glue. I've watched a video. He puts glue on two sticks, pushes them into the screw holes and snaps off the excess sticks to make them flush. Let's it set hard and then screws into them.

I've got this 502 wood glue.

20200528-131028.jpg

I've unscrewed the cap and it all looks fine and still very full of white glue, but the manufacture date is may 18 but it says shelf life 12 months from date of manufacture. Does that mean it won't stick and I need a new bottle?

Soldato
OP
So long as the glue is not like water or cheese its all good
But as we said epoxy the hinge into place is better
Try it with pva and wood sticks and see if it holds first if you like :)

Right, so to clarify, shall I coat the back of the hinge plate with epoxy, hold it to the wood surface till it's basically set and then do the pva and wood sticks?

That looks very interesting. From watching videos, it looks like I shoot the stuff into the threaded screwholes, screw the screws in to create the screw thread in the resin, wait for it to set hard, unscrew the screws and then screw the hinge bracket on?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom