Associate
Hi all,

Posting here as I am at my wits end and most IT tech companies around me aren't taking new jobs atm due to COVID!

I have had an ongoing issue with Windows 10 (64-bit) updates not downloading, and the Security Centre missing completely - ever since a malware infection, which was removed with McAfee.

It states Win10 updates have not been checked since 03/04/2020. Whenever I click "check for updates" nothing happens at all. I get the same when clicking anything in the Win10 update section.

The Security Centre literally doesn't open at all or register I even have Windows Defender.

I have used my anti-virus to completely scan my PC 3 times since this happened, but nothing has been detected since. I've tried command prompt to fix missing registry files and source data but to no avail - I have tried all fixes I have googled for Win10 update errors.

I would like to reset my Windows 10 entirely as I suspect the virus deleted a lot of registry data before it was removed, which is causing my issues now, but if I do this, it's registering half my SSD as "apps" so they will be deleted.

I am also having trouble installing NVIDIA control panel as it's registering it's already installed on the MS store but it's 100% not physically installed (tried fixes) - doubt this is related but thought I'd mention.

If anyone could help with this it'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Soldato
McAfee might have killed your system in its attempt to remove the malware.
Do you know the source of the malware?

Have you anything important upon the machine you can backup to a clean drive, simply format and reinstall completely.

Associate
OP
Honestly, no - my browser was being hijacked which made me aware of it, but the malware could have been hiding for a while priot to that.

I have 1.5tb of (full) SSD, poor WiFi (around 0.6mps) and no spare HDD/SSD which has put me in this situation - clean boot would probs be ideal but it's not an option for me atm - a cloud storage would take weeks lol.

Soldato
Buy an external hard drive, backup, wipe, reinstall, and hope the malware is clinging in there pretending to be mcafee, which is an atrocious brand currently anyway.
Have you run a free scan with Malwarebytes also?

Soldato
so you have 1.5TB of ssd space and no backup for anything other than cloud?

Is all the important data already on the cloud backup?

Start media creation tool and order a new drive...by the time drive arrives in 2 days the media tool will be finished :)

If your data is important I really wouldn't be trusting windows with it when doing a refresh/reset bearing in mind the malware has already caused damage to the operating system.

You really need to have backups as although ssd are more reliable when they die they go out like a light with professional data recovery being the only option.

Plus dump the McAfee...its rubbish to be honest...If I had £1 for every time a customer came to me with a faulty PC but "it cant be a virus as McAfee says its clean" then I would have a better gpu for sure lol :)

Big fan of Kaspersky...give it a go as they do 30 day full version as a trial...good at least to check if McAfee is correct....remove McAfee first though :)

Have you ran any other malware scanners on it?

Soldato
Assuming you dont want to reinstall Windows, I would run the following:

Junkware Removal Tool https://download.bleepingcomputer.c...ity-utilities/j/junkware-removal-tool/JRT.exe

ADW Cleaner https://download.bleepingcomputer.c...ecurity-utilities/a/adwcleaner/AdwCleaner.exe

Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Norton Power Eraser https://support.norton.com/sp/static/external/NPE/5.3/prod/en/NPE.exe

After that I would repair Windows (use the media creation tool to make an iso / usb installer - run the setup in Windows).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Firstly, thanks everyone for replying - really is appreciated!

Buy an external hard drive, backup, wipe, reinstall, and hope the malware is clinging in there pretending to be mcafee, which is an atrocious brand currently anyway.
Have you run a free scan with Malwarebytes also?

Thanks man, advice taken - bought the 2TB SEAGATE portable USB Hard Drive so will use to backup my main SSD where Windows is installed.
I only ended up w/McAfee because Amazon was selling total protection for a ridiculous price - think it was under £10!
No I haven't yet - will do when I'm home, thanks.

so you have 1.5TB of ssd space and no backup for anything other than cloud?

Is all the important data already on the cloud backup?

Start media creation tool and order a new drive...by the time drive arrives in 2 days the media tool will be finished :)

If your data is important I really wouldn't be trusting windows with it when doing a refresh/reset bearing in mind the malware has already caused damage to the operating system.

You really need to have backups as although ssd are more reliable when they die they go out like a light with professional data recovery being the only option.

Plus dump the McAfee...its rubbish to be honest...If I had £1 for every time a customer came to me with a faulty PC but "it cant be a virus as McAfee says its clean" then I would have a better gpu for sure lol :)

Big fan of Kaspersky...give it a go as they do 30 day full version as a trial...good at least to check if McAfee is correct....remove McAfee first though :)

Have you ran any other malware scanners on it?

Nope! Upgraded from 1TB HDD a few months back but it was dying anyway so just chucked it. I have terrible wifi here so cloud storage isn't an option.
I still have the OS boot on my USB from when Win10 was previously installed so always have that as a failsafe.

Thanks, I will backup all my files when the portable USB HD arrives and start doing that weekly from now on.

Would Kapersky be your recommendation for a decent anti-virus? McAfee has already removed about 20 .dll files from my games library so far -_-
And no, not in the last few weeks.

Assuming you dont want to reinstall Windows, I would run the following:

Junkware Removal Tool https://download.bleepingcomputer.c...ity-utilities/j/junkware-removal-tool/JRT.exe

ADW Cleaner https://download.bleepingcomputer.c...ecurity-utilities/a/adwcleaner/AdwCleaner.exe

Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Norton Power Eraser https://support.norton.com/sp/static/external/NPE/5.3/prod/en/NPE.exe

After that I would repair Windows (use the media creation tool to make an iso / usb installer - run the setup in Windows).

Thanks for taking the time to send the links - I will try this tonight before resorting to re-installing Win10. :)

Soldato

Would Kapersky be your recommendation for a decent anti-virus?

Yes ... I have used it for about 15 years now and not just on my own computer but for all my work repairing virus-infected machines.... self-employed PC repair....small fish but seen a lot of infected computers over the last 12 years of running.

You need to be scanning with a good antimalware program also like Malwarebytes

Soldato
btw if you have a NatWest Bank of Scotland or ulster bank current account, you can get a voucher to allow you to have Malwarebytes realtime scanning free until beyond this time next year.
I find it running in conjunction with MSE is perfectly fine for blocking everything that is thrown my way

Back up your files, not programs, ensure you have all your serial numbers
for windows create a windows account and link it, so you just need to log in after and it should reactivate itself
ensure instalation media for all
format
reinstall
scan
then attach external drive
scan it
then copy files across, and keep the drive as long term local backup solution.

Associate
OP
Yes ... I have used it for about 15 years now and not just on my own computer but for all my work repairing virus-infected machines.... self-employed PC repair....small fish but seen a lot of infected computers over the last 12 years of running.

You need to be scanning with a good antimalware program also like Malwarebytes

Purchased :) thanks - not that much more expensive than McAfee was tbh.
Will download Malwarebytes tonight, thanks for your advice.

btw if you have a NatWest Bank of Scotland or ulster bank current account, you can get a voucher to allow you to have Malwarebytes realtime scanning free until beyond this time next year.
I find it running in conjunction with MSE is perfectly fine for blocking everything that is thrown my way

Back up your files, not programs, ensure you have all your serial numbers
for windows create a windows account and link it, so you just need to log in after and it should reactivate itself
ensure instalation media for all
format
reinstall
scan
then attach external drive
scan it
then copy files across, and keep the drive as long term local backup solution.

I have none of those but thanks for the heads up, considering setting up an account just for that xD
Thanks for instructions - if media repair tool route doesn't work will try this when the backup HD arrives.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Quick update - took @Puppetmaster advice RE using Junkware Removal Tool, ADW Cleaner, Malwarebytes & Norton Power Eraser whilst i wait for backup HD.

I had 1 more malware file lying around, a lot that was flagged up were registry files. Strangely there was about 4 copies of winscomrssrv.dll
@postmanfw unisntalled McAfee and now using KaperSky, thanks :)

Sadly Win10 updates & security centre etc is still broken so I will be doing a clean install this weekend once HD arrives.
Will post here if this resolved the issue in case anyone else happens on this forum.

Thanks all for your help.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can help with this but worth a try posting here - I haven't updated in a while because I've had no luck at all :/

Purchased a WD HDD and cloned the drive to it.
Got a copy of all the registry keys I need.
Linked my MS account to my PC.

Tried downloading the MS Bootable Media software - everytime I install it crashes, PC dies and does nothing.

Tried resetting the PC selecting the "keep personal files" option - it stops halfway through and tells me "there was a problem resetting this PC"

Tried resetting the PC selecting the "delete all files on this drive" - same result.

Tried using System Restore - it doesn't open and doesn't register that I've even attempted to open it - no error message.

I have no idea how to proceed now - even Windows can't delete itself from my drive?!!!

If anyone has any advice on other options I'd be grateful - I've all but lost hope on fixing this now. J

Soldato
Do you have another Windows machine you can create a Windows 10 install DVD or USB stick from? To me your machine isn't trustworthy and full of problems, so I wouldn't trust it to do anything critical right now.

If you do have another machine, use it to run the Media Creation Tool found here. I understand you have a slow connection, so you need to start downloading ASAP. If you tell us which edition of Windows you have or want (Home, Pro, etc), I'm sure somebody here might offer to burn you a Windows installation disc - I am also happy to do this for you, if you choose.

Which registry entries have you exported and for which programs? You might damage your new installation of Windows if you're not careful, so only merge those registry files if you need to.

Associate
OP
Do you have another Windows machine you can create a Windows 10 install DVD or USB stick from? To me your machine isn't trustworthy and full of problems, so I wouldn't trust it to do anything critical right now.

If you do have another machine, use it to run the Media Creation Tool found here. I understand you have a slow connection, so you need to start downloading ASAP. If you tell us which edition of Windows you have or want (Home, Pro, etc), I'm sure somebody here might offer to burn you a Windows installation disc - I am also happy to do this for you, if you choose.

Which registry entries have you exported and for which programs? You might damage your new installation of Windows if you're not careful, so only merge those registry files if you need to.

Hey Darael, thanks for the message mate.

Just tried downloading the Windows ISO to my USB and using that and its not booting either unfortunately.

Sadly no I don't have another windows machine, my work PC is windows but it's NHS and our IT guys block anything with a pulse in terms of downloads etc. Meeting family tomorrow who have Macs so will see if I can download the boot media from there onto my USB. Very kind thanks but my dvd drive is also screwed - drives stopped working after a windows update that I can't reverse now.

I have Win10 Pro.

Sorry what do you mean by registry entities? If its the registry keys i just meant the serial keys for applications and MS.

Thanks, J

Associate
OP
@freddie64 @doopydug thanks for your messages.

After asking a friend to download Rufus and selecting a different partition scheme etc the boot drive is working properly now. Clean Install completed :)

Upgrading Mobo & CPU within the next few weeks so will have to go through this process again (Intel to AMD) but glad the OS is stable now.

Thank you all for your help and advice - really is appreciated. J

Soldato
Glad you got it sorted.

Not saying Media Creation Tool is bad, as many people use it with success.

For me though, i tried many different brands of USB drives and it just would not work, got recommended Rufus and it worked first time.

Back
Top Bottom