Netflix limiting streaming quality due to Corona Virus

Associate
I wonder how much longer Netflix will be limiting the streaming quality, as lock down is slowly easing now with people going back to work etc. I pay for the 4k service and its been quite poor lately. To start with they said they were doing this for 30 days but its been longer than that now. Not seen any updates from Netflix regarding this lately.

Caporegime
It's shameful the way they are profiting from the Coronavirus situation by cutting streaming bitrates, their bitrates were already very poor for 1080p and 4k content compared to Blu-ray. They are practically approaching SD quality. I have unsubscribed from the service for the duration where I am not getting the service I was paying for.

Caporegime
It's shameful the way they are profiting from the Coronavirus situation by cutting streaming bitrates, their bitrates were already very poor for 1080p and 4k content compared to Blu-ray. They are practically approaching SD quality. I have unsubscribed from the service for the duration where I am not getting the service I was paying for.

Hyperbole much?

There was a huge demand on the internet networks when lockdown started, so that was one way they could help.

I haven't watched a great deal of Netflix, but I watch 4K/HDR stream on a 65" OLED and barely noticed a difference. "Practically SD quality" is laughably melodramatic.

Caporegime
Hyperbole much?

There was a huge demand on the internet networks when lockdown started, so that was one way they could help.

I haven't watched a great deal of Netflix, but I watch 4K/HDR stream on a 65" OLED and barely noticed a difference. "Practically SD quality" is laughably melodramatic.

Guess you've never seen a blu-ray or are watching it from too far a distance, to tell the difference between 4k and 1080p even on a 65" display you've got to be sitting pretty close to it.

Just let him carry on watching Film 4 in SD ;)

I don't watch terrestrial TV, don't even have a TV licence. The internet has plenty of sources of very high bitrate movies.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guess you've never seen a blu-ray or are watching it from too far a distance, to tell the difference between 4k and 1080p even on a 65" display you've got to be sitting pretty close to it.

I can tell the difference between blu ray and 4k discs from 4 metres away on a 50" LCD TV. Tell tale sign is the colours. 4k are more vibrant and colourful. Not all about image quality. Now I've got a 55" OLED you can definitely tell the difference a lot easier.

I wouldnt start that arguement no one will win it.

Caporegime
I've got about 100 4k Blu-ray's, so that argument doesn't really wash.

Obviously Netflix is inferior to a disc, but I'd rather watch a lower bitrate 4k HDR Netflix stream, than most standard 1080p SDR Blu-ray's.

The codecs have moved on a lot.

Caporegime
I can tell the difference between blu ray and 4k discs from 4 metres away on a 50" LCD TV. Tell tale sign is the colours. 4k are more vibrant and colourful. Not all about image quality. Now I've got a 55" OLED you can definitely tell the difference a lot easier.

I wouldnt start that arguement no one will win it.

It's actually an argument that is provable with mathematics as far as resolution goes, Rayleigh's equations show the maximum perceptible spatial resolution of an ideal lens based on distance from the object and distance between the pixels.

I assume that you are referring to wide colour gamut, which is something that does produce a subtle improvement in the range of colours, but it isn't really related to this topic of bitrate related video quality, we are comparing two 4k video sources.

I've got about 100 4k Blu-ray's, so that argument doesn't really wash.

Obviously Netflix is inferior to a disc, but I'd rather watch a lower bitrate 4k HDR Netflix stream, than most standard 1080p SDR Blu-ray's.

The codecs have moved on a lot.

Yes the codecs have moved on a lot with HEVC et al but nonetheless I considered the bitrate on Netflix to be borderline as it was and this took it to below the minimum acceptable level for my subjective perception of the image quality with more artefacts such as macroblocking in the images appearing. I actually subscribed to the 4k service in the first place just to get an acceptable HD experience as their 1080p streaming wasn't up to scratch. As we both seem to agree video quality is subjective, but reducing quality because demand went up is a poor move on their part, it's like ISP's that do dodgy traffic shaping during peak times because they are too cheap to upgrade their network infrastructure.

Soldato
It's actually an argument that is provable with mathematics as far as resolution goes, Rayleigh's equations show the maximum perceptible spatial resolution of an ideal lens based on distance from the object and distance between the pixels.

I assume that you are referring to wide colour gamut, which is something that does produce a subtle improvement in the range of colours, but it isn't really related to this topic of bitrate related video quality, we are comparing two 4k video sources.

No I was responding to this 4k v 1080p and I can tell the difference at 4 metres or so easily.

to tell the difference between 4k and 1080p even on a 65" display you've got to be sitting pretty close to it.

Soldato
Think this whole thing has reinforced my belief in physical media - I've really beefed up my 4k bluray collection since!

I'm the opposite I can't see much if any difference between my physical version and the Apple TV version of Ready Player one in full 4k DV however the physical version was 5 times more which certainly doesn't equate in visual quality the same way.

Last night I bought Deepwater horizon, John wick and hacksaw ridge for £6 all 4k DV. The best part is that I share the account with my brother and brother in law so they only cost us £2 each for all 3.

Soldato
I'm the opposite I can't see much if any difference between my physical version and the Apple TV version of Ready Player one in full 4k DV however the physical version was 5 times more which certainly doesn't equate in visual quality the same way.

Last night I bought Deepwater horizon, John wick and hacksaw ridge for £6 all 4k DV. The best part is that I share the account with my brother and brother in law so they only cost us £2 each for all 3.

I think streaming has it's place. It is a mix of this bitrate issue and Apple converting down some content that was purchased in 4k dv to hd in the past a couple of times that swung it this way. I have a large library on ATV4k, but now would only ever bite for stuff I plan on ever only watching once though. Btw those movies, they're all worth watching!

For me the cost aspect doesn't bother me too much. If I didn't want to keep something, just a quick look on ebay and you can generally sell on used 4k blurays for a couple quid less than what you bought it for, especially on older movies like the three you said you bought.

Back
Top Bottom