New member with an idea

Associate
Hello all,

My name is Karl and i am joining to draw on the wealth of water cooling skills and information found here.

I have just become a farther and after getting to grips with the feeds and sleepless nights i have had an idea.

The advice at present is if you are making up bottles to use water over 70c, this is not the issue as a kettle dose a mean job of warming the water up. the fun starts when the little one wakes early and starts screaming for a bottle. trying to cool here bottle down is the challenge i through down to your superior knowledge.

my Plan was to use water cooling parts to cool a jacketed bottle holder, but don't really know how effective it would be? to maximise surface area the holder could be filled with water that could be thrown away after each use, keeping it hygienic.
what parts would i need? rad (size?), pump, tubing, reservoir?
Does water cooling have the ability to handle such temps?

any possible ideas would be welcome. look forward to your comments.

Karl

Soldato
Why not just stick the prepared bottle into a bowl of cold water? You have easy access to an almost unlimited supply of reasonably cold water and could add ice if you needed to. If cooling the bottle warms it up you can pour it away and refill the bowl.

Using radiators and the like would only make sense if you had a closed system where you needed to maintain the temperature of the water.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tip, but this is what I’m currently doing. But now little one is taking bigger feeds it’s taking longer, the dicentra of which I understand.
I’m more trying to prove the concept at this point.

but thinks for the input

Soldato
honestly, it sounds far too complicated and I've got 3 kids, so I know where you are coming from.

I can't see a water cooler system being better than dunking it in ice water to cool down.

What I used to do was to make it up fresh with boiling water, and then add in pre-boiled and cooled tap water into the formula. I think it was 5 onuces of boiling and then 1-2 ounces of cooled water gave the perfect temp.

Your other option would be to increase the surface area of the milk to the ice water. You could use several smaller bottles/tubes, prep milk in a bottle, pour into smaller tubes, place in ice water, then pour back. Lots more cleaning requered this way.

Or, you can get what are effectively insulating jackets for bottles. You can make a bottle with boiling water and place inside, it's good for several hours at drinking temp.

Associate
You're over complicating things here I think.

Running the bottle under a cold tap will be much more effective. A water cooling system can only deal with so much heat at a certain speed but you're limited by needing to keep the water away from the components and also that you can't really keep a tap running 24 hours a day.

Caporegime
just fill a deep tupperware box with cold water, place bottle inside it.

witness the magic as the large volume of water quickly absorbs the heat from the smaller volume of the bottle.

magic!

Back
Top Bottom