why does no pc ever stay a ******* sleep?

i have had 3 desktop pcs now all of which do not stay asleep when you put it to sleep. can be as little as 30 seconds later and it's back awake and remains awake never going back to sleep as it's sat on the login page.

all new hardware each time.

so annoying as it can be sat turned on for a couple days sometimes before i realise and it's wasting energy

Soldato
You have something keeping it awake. Simple. Could be LAN/WiFi, GFX, USB. You can disable hybrid sleep, set a sleep timer, set a blank screensaver, disable S1 and S3 sleep states (the most common), all of which will solve your issue.

powercfg -lastwake or powercfg -devicequery wake_armed. Might give you some direction

A common culprit in Win10 is a scheduled task for Windows Update

Soldato
OP
C:\Users\>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
HID-compliant mouse (005)
HID Keyboard Device (004)
HID-compliant mouse (009)

C:\Users\>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Wake Timer
Owner: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker)
Owner Supplied Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

this is what i got. i came to my computer just now and the computer was awake from sleep.

Soldato
Mine is the same in that it won't go to sleep even when I tell it too, and then it wakes up randomly.

I've looked into it, can't find the reason, stays on all the time now :D

Back
Top Bottom