Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
Bigger SDS drills are a bit heavier and bulkier to use, if you are using them for chiseling stuff, then the extra bulk and power are worth having. If you are drilling holes in brickwork etc then the extra power can easily damage bricks. I have never found my 1.5j Bosch lacking for drilling long holes for pipes and cables through double skinned walls and drilling into concrete for anchor bolts etc.

Dave

Associate
What's a really good powerful drill for a good price for drilling concrete and brick?

I think my £50 job from amazon is a bit weak.

Just looking to install a few bike racks and a dead bolt lock, etc.

If you're still looking at options, have a look at this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-hr2470wx-2-3-3kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-240v/29604

I bought one yesterday to put a 16mm hole from the inside to the outside wall of the house for a security camera and it went through like butter. You also get a set of nice drill bits in the box (although I also bought this https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-16-450mm-extreme-2-sds-plus-masonry-bit/45645). Worth a look!

Soldato
I will have project (pond and garden) that will need a Mitre/Chop saw :D accuracy and straightness is needed hence not using my existing 4.5" angle grinder.

The pond walls will be made of 7N dense concrete blocks 215mm wide, 100mm high and 440mm long. The corners of the pond are at non-90 angles so I need something that can cut concrete with a dry cut/diamond blade. The garden will also have some wood too so if it's easy enough to switch out the blade for a wood one - that's good. Dust extractor (shop vacuum) connection is a must (and I may put it in a popup toilet tent to control the additional dust. The majority of cuts will be across the 215x100 face and being able to cut at angles would be good.

I've seen the Rage 2 chop saw YT with concrete and that seems to make a decent cut at speed but only cuts 90deg as far as I could see. The Rage 3 Mitre + concrete blade seems a lot slower.

So thoughts? Options?

Associate
I will have project (pond and garden) that will need a Mitre/Chop saw :D accuracy and straightness is needed hence not using my existing 4.5" angle grinder.

The pond walls will be made of 7N dense concrete blocks 215mm wide, 100mm high and 440mm long. The corners of the pond are at non-90 angles so I need something that can cut concrete with a dry cut/diamond blade. The garden will also have some wood too so if it's easy enough to switch out the blade for a wood one - that's good. Dust extractor (shop vacuum) connection is a must (and I may put it in a popup toilet tent to control the additional dust. The majority of cuts will be across the 215x100 face and being able to cut at angles would be good.

I've seen the Rage 2 chop saw YT with concrete and that seems to make a decent cut at speed but only cuts 90deg as far as I could see. The Rage 3 Mitre + concrete blade seems a lot slower.

So thoughts? Options?

Double check the cut capicity there champ - don't think the Rage will be able to cut through 100mm block at an angle less than about 75 degrees. You be needing a 12" blade minimum.
Also do not underestimate the dust. It will be obscene.
IMO buy a used petrol disc cutter, with water feed, and sell it on after the job.

Soldato
Double check the cut capicity there champ - don't think the Rage will be able to cut through 100mm block at an angle less than about 75 degrees. You be needing a 12" blade minimum.
Also do not underestimate the dust. It will be obscene.
IMO buy a used petrol disc cutter, with water feed, and sell it on after the job.

I was starting to get to the thought after researching further - I did think about putting a portable loo tent over the top of the cutting area to reduce dust but from cutting slabs with a 4.5" angle grinder in the past, I tend to agree with your wet cut comment. £100 could hire a petrol 500mm masonry bench saw for a week. Which would probably better in the long run.

Something like this: https://www.jewson.co.uk/p/petrol-stone-saw-300mm-JTH02305 possibly.

Calculated that with 18 courses of blocks with 10 corners (only about 3 are 90 degree). it may be worth me hiring one for the week to crack on with the block walls.

dyWD07N.png

Last edited:
Associate
Jeepers you are on the angles with that beast lol... Get the first course & second course down perfect and make some cutting templates for the angles as you go. Then you can bang the rest of the cutting out en mass. 2 days hire a cutter job done :)

I was starting to get to the thought after researching further - I did think about putting a portable loo tent over the top of the cutting area to reduce dust but from cutting slabs with a 4.5" angle grinder in the past, I tend to agree with your wet cut comment. £100 could hire a petrol 500mm masonry bench saw for a week. Which would probably better in the long run.

Something like this: https://www.jewson.co.uk/p/petrol-stone-saw-300mm-JTH02305 possibly.

Calculated that with 18 courses of blocks with 10 corners (only about 3 are 90 degree). it may be worth me hiring one for the week to crack on with the block walls.

dyWD07N.png

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Anybody have any experience with 2nd fix nailers, I'm looking at gas less and I've got plenty of Dewalt batteries so natural option is the DCN660 but open to other suggestions?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I've used a ryobi air nailer and I thought it was awesome.

What did you use it on? I'll be doing oak skirting and architrave.

I've got a Paslode im360ci but the cost of gas and nails is extortionate, with no 3rd party gas I'm stuck with buying branded.

Soldato
Am in the market for a circular saw. Looking at the following from screw fix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcs391-165mm-18v-li-ion-xr-cordless-circular-saw-bare/23296

whilst ive decided on the saw im interested to know if you all would spend the extra to
Get the carry case for it. With the t stack box its more like £150 And also it isnt available from screwfix

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dewalt-dcs391nt-xr-165mm-circular-saw-body-only-in-tstak-vi-case

i dont use this sort of tool outside of the home so the thought of having another huge case around irks me but at the same
Time i Look after my tools and like to keep all the “bits” together. All my Power tools are stores indoors in “dads cubbord” so no one goes in there but me.

in a rather round about way I'm asking is the extra £40 for the case worth it!

picked this up over the weekend with the t stack box.

being released from a cordless saw is heaven. Fantastic tool and comes with a fantastic blade.

Soldato
Well I've bought a few tools recently.

Macallister circular saw
Macallister impact driver
Erbauer angle grinder

Also looking at the macallister orbital sander.

Am landscaping the garden so I needed some new tools. I know they are budget tools but I've bought some budget tools from them before and they've held up well during my house renovations.

Soldato

Macallister circular saw
Erbauer angle grinder

Am landscaping the garden so I needed some new tools. I know they are budget tools but I've bought some budget tools from them before and they've held up well during my house renovations.

McAllister are my go-to first time tool for most of the odd jobs that creep up, or Aldis. If it then dies and I really use it I'll buy the DeWalt version as that's my main ecosystem.

Saying that I've still got most of the Mac's as they don't bloody die so they've proved great purchases.

Caporegime

Macallister circular saw
Erbauer angle grinder

i got a macallister pole saw and tbh - it's amazing

Associate
McAllister are my go-to first time tool for most of the odd jobs that creep up, or Aldis. If it then dies and I really use it I'll buy the DeWalt version as that's my main ecosystem.

How is the Mac Allister SDS Plus drill?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msrh600-2-6kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-220-240v/994fy

I need to drill through walls to cable up the house (and put up those ****** IKEA floating shelves the missus chose) and all internal walls are solid, and half are old double skin external walls. Anything longer than a picture pin needs a hole driling.

The MAKITA HR2470WX looks great, but if I can save £90 and get the job done - that's £90 more I get to spend on networking. Or floating shelves.

Soldato
How is the Mac Allister SDS Plus drill?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msrh600-2-6kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-220-240v/994fy

I need to drill through walls to cable up the house (and put up those ****** IKEA floating shelves the missus chose) and all internal walls are solid, and half are old double skin external walls. Anything longer than a picture pin needs a hole driling.

The MAKITA HR2470WX looks great, but if I can save £90 and get the job done - that's £90 more I get to spend on networking. Or floating shelves.

It's brushed, so it'll need them replaced at some point. however if it's just for general DIY and some small bores it'll do the job. You'll usually get away with up to 20mm in masonry with these light drills. That drill and some decent sds drill bits will do you right.

Associate
Can any Ryobi users comment if the compatible chargers / batteries are any good? Ideally I'd like the official ones but they cost a fortune. I've bought a 5ah compatible battery from the bay for £26 but don't know how good its going to be. Could do with a fast charger as well.

Soldato
Someone posted a video about the fake dewalt batteries. I doubt it would be any different for the other brands.

In short, they don’t have the stated rated capacity so they don’t last as long. Clearly the cells used are not as good quality or up to spec. Who knows where they are getting them from or if they are even new. But will they be good enough for DIY? Probably. Will they have gone through the required safety certification process? Unlikely.

Will they set your house on fire like those dodgy self balancing boards? YMMV and use them at your own risk.

Back
Top Bottom