*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Quick question is the Standard USG still ok to use as I was looking at this with the cloud key 2 so I can take advantage of UniFi Protect - rather purchase a separate NVR only really need 2 / 3 cameras and wanted to keep things simple (if you see what I mean) :eek:

Of course. It’s good to a full 1Gbps connection unless you turn on IPS/IDS or QoS when the throughput drops off dramatically. But as a basic firewall/router it’s still, perfectly fine.

RJC

RJC

Don
Of course. It’s good to a full 1Gbps connection unless you turn on IPS/IDS or QoS when the throughput drops off dramatically. But as a basic firewall/router it’s still, perfectly fine.

Thank you, just looking at replacing the BT hub and just a basic Firewall / Router.

I already have the AC Lite and looking to add the pro for the garden and use the 2nd port for a camera.

Soldato
Why a Pro for the garden? Unless you mean AP-AC-Mesh Pro? The AP-AC-Pro isn't an external access point - it's only rated for verandas and the like. On AP-AC-Mesh, AP-AC-Mesh Pro and UAP-FlexHD are rated for outside use.

Soldato
I'm staring at one now, okay the rubber seal over the ports is very snug but it looks like water could enter under where the cable goes in. You've also got a split in the rubber between the two cable holes. Plus (without cracking it open to take a look) you have all the joins in the plastic casing to consider.

Ui says it should be installed out of direct weather conditions (which is a good clue on how sealed the case is) and I'd be inclined to agree. It's a reasonable attempt at weather sealing but I doubt it'd survive long in prolonged rain.

But its your money at the end of the day. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have no idea how many access points I'll need to cover this (extended, solid internal walls) house, so figure buying one and trying it is the way to go, adding more if needed.

But which one?
AC-LITE is ~£70; AC-LR another £10 and AC-PRO another £30 again. By which point, another £30 buys two AC-LITEs.

I'm leaning towards the AC-LR based on https://community.ui.com/questions/AC-Lite-vs-AC-LR/388a5fb5-d8b7-4af3-b290-908ce06ceb84 and https://community.ui.com/questions/...P-set-up/d2a6d5e9-6807-4713-9b61-a58d4ecfc0d8 but whadda I know, it could be better than the LITE for mobile devices, or complete *******s.

What would you start with?

Associate
I have no idea how many access points I'll need to cover this (extended, solid internal walls) house, so figure buying one and trying it is the way to go, adding more if needed.

But which one?
AC-LITE is ~£70; AC-LR another £10 and AC-PRO another £30 again. By which point, another £30 buys two AC-LITEs.

I'm leaning towards the AC-LR based on https://community.ui.com/questions/AC-Lite-vs-AC-LR/388a5fb5-d8b7-4af3-b290-908ce06ceb84 and https://community.ui.com/questions/...P-set-up/d2a6d5e9-6807-4713-9b61-a58d4ecfc0d8 but whadda I know, it could be better than the LITE for mobile devices, or complete *******s.

What would you start with?

I live in a 4 bed detached house and a single NanoHD on the landing ceiling covers the entire house, with full signal strength everywhere. Very impressed with it.

Just need to get another AP of some variety for the garden. May just put a FlexHD in the garage conversion, and that should cover my patio.

Mind you, their first Wifi6 AP has entered EA, so will prob hold off for now and see what else materialises.

Soldato
Mind you, their first Wifi6 AP has entered EA, so will prob hold off for now and see what else materialises.

Don't hold your breath! Plus, it's the 2x2 Lite that's in EA. The 4x4 ones you actually want - UAP-IW6, UAP-6L, UAP-(S)HD6 - are still only on the FCC website so it will be a while before we start to see significant speed bumps on these. I'm really keep to get the UAP-IW6 because that's where I see the biggest benefit - almost like personal room access points. And there is still no clear answer as to whether they will implement the 6GHz options which is where in-room access points really score over wider area devices.

Associate
At the risk of asking a really dumb question, is the EU store working for anyone? All I see are blank prices unless looking at a specific item in which case I can't add any quantities for any products and this is across browsers. The US store works perfectly fine though.

Associate
At the risk of asking a really dumb question, is the EU store working for anyone? All I see are blank prices unless looking at a specific item in which case I can't add any quantities for any products and this is across browsers. The US store works perfectly fine though.
Soem of the prices are loading for me (e.g. the AP ones) and others aren't. Sunday afternoon maintenance?

Back
Top Bottom