Car delivery - inspection

Soldato
I've not taken delivery of a new car before but I am due to next week (it should have actually been here a couple of months back but the lockdown stopped that). It will be driver delivered (let's hope they've brought some disinfectant with them).

Is there anything in particular I should look out for when taking delivery of a new car in particular vs a used one? Or are the checks more or less the same? I am wondering just how rigorous I should be.

Should I expect them to allow me to take it for a quick drive before 'officially' accepting the delivery for instance (e.g. just as I would expect a test drive before buying any car)? Look under the bonnet for any leaks, check fluid levels etc? Ask them to account for the spare tyre, handbook etc? Test the locks, windows, and so on...?

I've given this a quick Google and most sites tend to give very rigorous lists. In short, what is the norm and how long is a reasonable amount of time to be spent checking the car over? I couldn't care less about being 'that' customer who took forever to inspect the car but I don't want to needlessly waste my own time and theirs.

Associate
I've not taken delivery of a new car before but I am due to next week (it should have actually been here a couple of months back but the lockdown stopped that). It will be driver delivered (let's hope they've brought some disinfectant with them).

Is there anything in particular I should look out for when taking delivery of a new car in particular vs a used one? Or are the checks more or less the same? I am wondering just how rigorous I should be.

Should I expect them to allow me to take it for a quick drive before 'officially' accepting the delivery for instance (e.g. just as I would expect a test drive before buying any car)? Look under the bonnet for any leaks, check fluid levels etc? Ask them to account for the spare tyre, handbook etc? Test the locks, windows, and so on...?

I've given this a quick Google and most sites tend to give very rigorous lists. In short, what is the norm and how long is a reasonable amount of time to be spent checking the car over? I couldn't care less about being 'that' customer who took forever to inspect the car but I don't want to needlessly waste my own time and theirs.

Just go through it like you would any car, if the car is being driven straight from the dealership then I'd look for stone chips which could have occured during that trip. - unlikely to happen but it does happen and you don't want to receive a new car with a stone chip.

I wouldn't worry much about anything else the car manufacturers do a pretty good check before it leaves the factory and the car will have 3 year warranty I assume or more.

Other than that I would ask for a copy of the hand over document they will give you a paper copy or send it to you via email this will have the drivers name just encase you need to contact them for speeding fines etc which they got whilst they driven your car.

Soldato
I'd concentrate on the cosmetics as anything mechanical is covered under warranty. A scratch, chip or ding on the other hand is your word against theres that you didn't do it.

Beyond that I'd check that the options are as specified and stupid stuff like the navigation working and having any necessary SD cards etc. in place.

Soldato
Download a PDI sheet. Look at paint, electrical, tyres and wheels. Take your time and don’t let anyone rush you. If a lease, make sure the delivery mileage is recorded so it doesn’t come out of your allowance and check the mileage anyway.

Is it something like Cazoo? Test drive is reasonable but probably not needed as you have certain amount of time to return the car, no questions asked.

Driver should do contactless free handover and should have disinfected the car.

(I asked Mrs HB who works for BCA, Fleet services manager who deals with all sorts, inc. Cazoo and similar outfits)

Soldato
OP
Just go through it like you would any car, if the car is being driven straight from the dealership then I'd look for stone chips which could have occured during that trip. - unlikely to happen but it does happen and you don't want to receive a new car with a stone chip.

I wouldn't worry much about anything else the car manufacturers do a pretty good check before it leaves the factory and the car will have 3 year warranty I assume or more.

Other than that I would ask for a copy of the hand over document they will give you a paper copy or send it to you via email this will have the drivers name just encase you need to contact them for speeding fines etc which they got whilst they driven your car.
I'd concentrate on the cosmetics as anything mechanical is covered under warranty. A scratch, chip or ding on the other hand is your word against theres that you didn't do it.

Beyond that I'd check that the options are as specified and stupid stuff like the navigation working and having any necessary SD cards etc. in place.
Download a PDI sheet. Look at paint, electrical, tyres and wheels. Take your time and don’t let anyone rush you. If a lease, make sure the delivery mileage is recorded so it doesn’t come out of your allowance and check the mileage anyway.

Is it something like Cazoo? Test drive is reasonable but probably not needed as you have certain amount of time to return the car, no questions asked.

Driver should do contactless free handover and should have disinfected the car.

(I asked Mrs HB who works for BCA, Fleet services manager who deals with all sorts, inc. Cazoo and similar outfits)

Thanks for the above, all makes sense. It is a lease.

@HoneyBadger do you (or your wife) know of a site where I can find such a checklist? I've tried to Google it but I couldn't find one.

Associate
Hang on, it's a new car, what exactly do you expect to be wrong with it? If it's wrong, it's under warranty.

Given you've asked this, and not told us what it is, I suspect it is something truly awful, so tell us what it is, and that might give us an idea...

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Give it a cosmetic once over. Make sure the paint is good. A friend had a new car delivered and it had clearly had a minor shunt, and had a panel and a bit of the bumper painted, there was a tiny bit of overspray that gave it away. No chips and no damage. Mechanically it should be fine.

Soldato
OP
Hang on, it's a new car, what exactly do you expect to be wrong with it? If it's wrong, it's under warranty.

Given you've asked this, and not told us what it is, I suspect it is something truly awful, so tell us what it is, and that might give us an idea...

It's a Seat Ibiza so it's definitely going to have some issues.

Or it could be a C220 coupe

Soldato
Make sure you log down the mileage on the delivery sheet so it can be taken into account with the total mileage at the end of the lease. Mine came with 50 odd on the clock so noted it down before signing.

Soldato
In terms of taking a reasonable time to check out the car, including driving it if you bought it remotely aren’t you protected by distance selling regs (whatever they’re called now), so could actually even return the car within a certain period?

Soldato
Think it depends. I have had leases where I was asked to sign 2 weeks before to avoid doing that, but at the same time my brother took out a lease on a Golf R which got delivered shortly after he lost his job so he exercised his right to return within 14 days and they picked it up no issues.

Soldato
t if you bought it remotely aren’t
yes ... doesn't the detail of your inspection depend on if it's being delivered to you from a remote dealer, versus, aforementioned, collection from a local dealer.
it's easier to get things resolved locally, so with remote dealer delivery (even if warranty is dealt with locally) I'd be a lot more forensic.

Back
Top Bottom