Windows 10

Soldato
After installing 20H1 on my netbook and laptop, I am slightly underwhelmed - feels almost like 1909, with a few changes here and there. Haven't experienced anything bad yet, such as crashes - but haven't really had the time to reinstall everything.

Soldato
My sons pc is a 2200g with built in graphics and 16gb of ram but states it’s not ready for his system yet so can not install it through windows update.

I have not checked my main pc yet which is a I7 9700k, 16gb of ram and an NVMe drive.

Caporegime
My sons pc is a 2200g with built in graphics and 16gb of ram but states it’s not ready for his system yet so can not install it through windows update.

I have not checked my main pc yet which is a I7 9700k, 16gb of ram and an NVMe drive.

Yeah just hasn't been offered to me yet, otherwise id be getting the not ready too, if it wasn't compatible (i.e due to something on my rig).

Soldato
I downloaded the ISO of Win 10 version 2004 from Microsoft and must say, the system feels very snappy atm. Been playing a bit of Last epoch and with the latest AMD drivers, the game is a joy with zero stutters. Gonna be interesting to see if this carries over to other games as well.

V F

V F

Soldato
I downloaded the ISO of Win 10 version 2004 from Microsoft and must say, the system feels very snappy atm. Been playing a bit of Last epoch and with the latest AMD drivers, the game is a joy with zero stutters. Gonna be interesting to see if this carries over to other games as well.

There shouldn't be any stutters even on 1809 or 1909.

Soldato
There shouldn't be any stutters even on 1809 or 1909.

My 1903 installation was working alright. Though did have some games that didn't always agree with VRR, Last Epoch was one of them. Sometimes VRR would break or feel less smooth. So far it has worked great in version 2004 with no tweaks or anything needed. Of course, that could also be partially or completely due to the latest AMD driver as well. Though the entire OS seems very responsive and more so than my fresh 1903 install. I'm not ruling out placebo here but didn't experience this at any other previous upgrade point, so this is a first for me.

Caporegime
^Don't see why you couldn't use an external HDD, although have never tried.

Rather than clean install if you have to revert, why not take a Macrium image or even use Windows own system image?

Currently trying out 2004 on a VM, no issues so far other than it seems to break VirtualBox's 3D acceleration.

I just realised, i could just down the ISO to one of my spare drives. :p

Its still a no show, 'You're up to date' :(

I hope i don't just get the same on Hose Tuesday! :eek:

:D

Last edited:
Associate
^ Good point, think that's fine as long as you're mounting the ISO in an existing Windows install to run the upgrade.

Same for me, all up to date but showing as "Your device is not quite ready". In no rush though tbh.

Caporegime
Yeah can do an upgrade through the ISO, or a fresh install from it.

Ive also read that just getting this :-

No-20H1.jpg

Is also normal, means something on my rig, isn't compatible, so it wont even show up, and i think that'll be my Avira, so i'll wait until that gets a product update, to see if it either shows for a download and install, or shows with the device not ready message, theres no hurry, as got 18 months as said, and i can always go for a fresh from the ISO, i could also try uninstalling Avira too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
windows 10 is such a crock if anything goes wrong it seems.

I decided to clean some dust from my pc by simply removing the side panel and blowing hard with my mouth and one of my psu cables must be faulty because my pc crashed hard and some of my drives disappeared from the bios.

I fix the issue.

MBR is missing, windows setup from a USB cant find anything wrong with repair start up issues,
I use CMD prompt to manually try and fix the boot record and to rebuild it. nothing. (even though it said it worked and could see the os on each drive.)
windows set up can not find any windows install to repair even though I have 3 of them, windows 10 , windows 10 and windows 7...

I manually try to boot from each drive, only one of them lets me boot and it's windows 7.

so I find a partition manager that lets me fix the boot record on the windows install I actually want to use.

works perfectly.

TLDR: windows 10 cant even fix a boot record for you

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a wireless 360 controller hooked up so i get this..

nt7f3nX.png

I need this controller to be working so no rush to be getting this update.

I'm glad they do this now, probably saved me a lot of time trying to fix it myself :)

Soldato
I may do a test installation on my main PC in a few days, but I'm in no great rush. To be completely honest, I don't see what's so great about 2004 that I should rush to install it.

Man of Honour
I may do a test installation on my main PC in a few days, but I'm in no great rush. To be completely honest, I don't see what's so great about 2004 that I should rush to install it.

Aside from security fixes nothing has fundamentally changed for me with the OS since early insider builds and 9/10th of the new features no one has actually asked for, wanted and I suspect uptake is low at least anecdotally I don't see many users using them. MS has got things totally wrong for an OS as a service model to the detriment of the end user experience IMO.

There is absolutely nothing Windows 10 does, other than a few things that have been artificially held back, that Windows 7 doesn't do as well or better aside from some small quality of life experience changes such as to the file copy features.

The whole OS should revolve around a distribution system a bit like Linux/Android but better with many more aspects modular but groupable so you could deploy target environments as a package, etc. and move and organise your environment between systems from a central profile, etc. instead of the botched store implementation - I know it would be a big effort to align legacy software with the model but still.

Associate
Having some random issues with 2004.
Seem to have lost the inbuilt Windows Apps/Menu icons from the taskbar and Start menu. Also lost the file icons for various files too.

Anyone else had this?
I've cleared icon cache but still no go.
It only happens for this user, Admin account is fine. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I have a wireless 360 controller hooked up so i get this..

nt7f3nX.png
One of my pcs get that as well (2200g, 16gb of ram, Msi mobo as mentioned earlier in the thread).

nothing extra connected (keyboard and mouse and that’s it) so god knows what is not ok with it unless it’s a chip set or gpu driver not being up to date

Soldato
One of my pcs get that as well (2200g, 16gb of ram, Msi mobo as mentioned earlier in the thread).

nothing extra connected (keyboard and mouse and that’s it) so god knows what is not ok with it unless it’s a chip set or gpu driver not being up to date

For me it might even be the latest Nvidia drivers, heard something about them not being fully compatible with 2004. I'm fine waiting though if it means i avoid any major issues.

Soldato
For me it might even be the latest Nvidia drivers, heard something about them not being fully compatible with 2004. I'm fine waiting though if it means i avoid any major issues.
Same, i'm in no rush to install the update. On my main rig updates are disabled.

Back
Top Bottom